Gransnet forums

Chat

Everything - well nearly everything - is right in this country

(267 Posts)
Opal Tue 03-Dec-19 14:04:03

Don't know about you but I'm getting so fed up with all of the doom mongers and nay sayers on here, I thought I'd start up a thread for the positive amongst us to list everything that we think is great about this country.

My thoughts - I love the beautiful British countryside and the fact that it looks different in every season. I love our friendly village pubs that serve good beer and good pub grub. I love our coastline, some of the most beautiful in the world.

Over to you guys - let's keep this thread going ........

BlueSky Sun 08-Dec-19 17:48:33

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, even in France which I love. It's ok for holidays but not to live there permanently. Our good old NHS, our simple bureaucracy, our manners, just compare it to the alternative abroad!

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 17:08:10

Thank you Mebster

Many people I know love the USA too and many of the people. I have only visited myself, briefly, once so can't comment (and that was during a hurricane!).

MerylStreep Sun 08-Dec-19 17:05:31

Thank you Mebster Fortunately most of us feel the same ?

Mebster Sun 08-Dec-19 16:52:29

I live in the US but love the UK so much and find the people to be generally happy, friendly and community minded. I love to visit and would try to move to UK if not for my grans. You have so much history, beauty, NHS, good public transit, very little violence compared to the US and easy access to lots of parks, walking trails and many cultures. I wouldn't mind the higher taxes for all this. I don't think Brits are as greedy as US citizens.

Sparklefizz Sun 08-Dec-19 15:19:25

Callistemon I like puppies too, but kittens is wot I got!! grin

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 13:55:58

Sparklefizz nothing against your dear little kittens but I prefer a puppy any day!!

Sparklefizz Sun 08-Dec-19 13:31:24

I so love the picture of the two little kittens snuggled up together.

Thanks Gonegirl - they are my lovely sweeties Archie and Phoebe. Such a joy. They were only 5 weeks old when I rescued them and I had to have a bottle-feeding kit from the vet.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 08-Dec-19 13:27:49

I think you have a problem inkcog, if you think the sky is green. Why would anyone believe you?

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 13:16:18

But I don't want them for Christmas, thank you anyway crystaltipps
tchwink

Gonegirl Sun 08-Dec-19 10:47:26

I so love the picture of the two little kittens snuggled up together.

inkcog Sun 08-Dec-19 10:46:02

I suppose if somebody thinks the sky is purple, it's a complete waste of time and effort saying, no it's green.
If you exist in a bubble and only mix with a certain type of person and read certain things, you end up as a Purple Sky person.

One thing I like about this country is the many opportunities we have to push ourselves out there and meet such a great variety of people.

sunseeker Sun 08-Dec-19 10:40:26

I was feeling pretty fed up yesterday when I came across a bunch of bikers, dressed as Santa, on their way to the annual Santa ride (they raise funds for the local childrens' hospice). Put a smile on my face and cheered me up for the rest of the day.

crystaltipps Sun 08-Dec-19 10:01:03

What we want for Christmas.?

JenniferEccles Sun 08-Dec-19 09:56:40

Oh dear. Some comments are just so predictable aren’t they?

I just KNEW as soon as someone mentioned Cecil Rhodes that before too long a comment would appear accusing him of being a racist and that latest put down so favoured at the moment - a white suprematist.

Sure enough, there it was!

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 09:37:55

Auto-correct thought there should be an extra try after country in there.
Does anyone know how to take it off?
Please?

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 09:36:47

Having spent a very enjoyable evening in the village hall organised and manned by volunteers, I'll reinforce my earlier post and nominate all the volunteers in this country try who give their services freely to help others, to organise events which raise money for good causes.

From those volunteers who put their lives in danger at sea, on cliffs, etc to safe lives to those organising social events - this country's finest.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 08-Dec-19 09:18:07

Tedber I was not calling you a liar - why so sensitive? It is simply not true that "if anyone reports a post - for whatever reason - they strike it off and send the poster a warning!"

I think your email must have been a one-off from someone having a bad day if that is exactly what it said.

Specky Sun 08-Dec-19 01:13:03

Oops! I meant the whole thing not just your post eloethan.

Specky Sun 08-Dec-19 01:09:17

Just read this post pretty much from beginning to end. At the start I was feeling quite contented, enjoying all the positivity and cheerfulness but now I feel quite p....sed off and grumpy...I wonder why! AND I can't get to sleep!

Still for what its worth, and in the spirit of what Opal intended I think that British pop music is probably the best in the world. Its great to still be following bands from the 80s that are still on tour and I love British music festivals (even the mud!). Oh and British beer is up there too ?

Eloethan Sun 08-Dec-19 00:07:13

I am glad that I live in this country and have no particular wish to live elsewhere. However, I'm not sure I would be so glad if my husband's and my work and housing situation in the early years of our marriage were to be transported from the 70's to the present day.

In the 70's my husband was a student nurse, working long hours on very low wages, and I had two years off work to care for our first child. Despite having a very low income, we were able to rent reasonably priced hospital accommodation (albeit not that glamorous since we lived in a crescent of prefabricated homes that were originally used to house prisoners of war). We were able to eat reasonably well and pay for basics. For a few years, until I started part time work, there was no money for a phone or a holiday but we could afford to heat our home properly and to run an "old banger".

Nowadays it would be unthinkable for a family to survive on a student nurse's pay - the rent alone would eat up a substantial proportion of it.

So we, like many others, had our families when the basic essentials for living - housing, food, clothing, energy, etc, etc. - were within even the most poorly paid people's grasp.

In my view, many of the people of our generation have had it lucky. Even those who could never afford to buy their home had a good chance of obtaining a council house at a reasonable rent.

Nowadays, even professional people often have short term, insecure contracts and are not paid particularly well. Many young people cannot envisage being in a situation where they can buy their own property because, with rents so high, it is very difficult to save for a deposit, and the multiple of income needed to obtain a mortgage is much higher now.

Many families are living from hand to mouth, from one month to the next, often accruing debts to pay for expensive but essential household repairs. Has nobody read about the many, and increasing numbers of children who are living in poverty, crammed into poky, often sub-standard, expensive and sometimes dangerous accommodation? Has nobody read about children who have to move schools on a regular basis because, at the end of a yearly tenancy, a landlord can put up the rent to any amount he or she feels is obtainable - and tenants often have no option but to look for more affordable accomodation? Has nobody read about children coming to school with inadequate clothing and shoes, hungry and dispirited? Has nobody read about large numbers of people being unable to access affordable dental treatment or being denied - or waiting inordinate amounts of time for - medical procedures that were formerly available on the NHS, such as for varicose veins, cataracts, etc, etc.?

If pointing out these issues is construed by some as "moany gloom mongers" then so be it. To talk about the beauties of nature, how lovely our gardens are, how attractive British coast and countryside is, etc, etc, etc., is completely missing the point. There are some children in inner cities have not even seen the countryside or the seaside.

Callistemon Sat 07-Dec-19 23:36:55

What happens if you're an Englishwoman married to a Welshman and you're living in Wales?
Does that mean I won the lottery or got the booby prize?

Tedber Sat 07-Dec-19 23:33:15

So do I callistomon. Just told somebody reported it!

Callistemon Sat 07-Dec-19 23:29:57

Now I want to know what you said that was so bad Tedber!

Callistemon Sat 07-Dec-19 23:28:45

I never read my emails
Shhh, don't tell GNHQ

Tedber Sat 07-Dec-19 23:24:25

Erm? What isn’t true GracesGran? I have the email!

Well you know I have no intention of getting into a debate about this!
I started off saying what I loved about living in this country.. now I appear to have been blacklisted by GN and now called a liar by a fellow Gransnet yer bahaha. STILL love living in UK though for the reasons I said initially. Sad this thread has brought out the pessimists

Opal. I totally agree with you. Just for the record before I am banned completely ??