Gransnet forums


Without looking, do you know who your insurance companies are?

(18 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Tue 03-Dec-19 21:12:40

There was a thread on Mumsnet, discussing the merits of keeping a grab bag close to hand,
for emergencies such as fire or flood.

The grab bag could contain such items as birth certificates, Passports,
Insurance documents etc.
Also laptop.

Several countries including the USA recommend such a bag and actually list what it should contain.

Whilst sitting here, I cannot for the life of me remember the names of our home or car insurers..
As like most people we are constantly changing them for a better deal.

In the event of fire and certificates being lost, I would have to hope that I could obtain the info and relevant companies by trawling through emails.
Maybe it is a case for e-documents rather than paper copies.

Would it be safer to replace our upstares wood filing cabinet with a metal one or purchase a metal safe?

Our house deeds, Will and LPAs are lodged with our solicitor.

In January when we do the dreaded trawl of the comparison sites, I will photo copy and leave copies with our DD.

Do any GNers have a grab bag?
During the war both my grandmothers kept all their family documents in their handbags, which went with them into the air raid shelters.

merlotgran Tue 03-Dec-19 21:21:32

I have a box file with birth certificates, deeds to the property, insurances etc. It's easy to grab and in the event of a fire I could throw it out the window because we are single storey and it's in the bedroom.

I know the names of all insurance companies their numbers are in my phone. Anything relating to the car is scanned, printed and kept in the car.

DH has certificates and info relating to his blue badge and they are scanned and saved on the laptop.

I think I've got everything covered. grin

Passports are kept in a drawer

crazyH Tue 03-Dec-19 21:23:58

Good reminder - no, I keep changing insurers every year .
Must keep a grab bag...

Callistemon Tue 03-Dec-19 21:30:15

If we got flooded our solicitor's office would be under water.

I think I know - but not the exact numbers.
A very good point Cherrytree.

Hetty58 Tue 03-Dec-19 21:32:04

I have a fire-proof folder for the important things. House deeds, although interesting, are no longer legally required as the information is online. Birth certificates etc. are easy to order as replacements. I only have one insurance company (for buildings and contents) so know who they are. I don't have a passport or car and I'm sure that I'd be able to grab the laptop.

SueDonim Tue 03-Dec-19 21:36:18

Yes, I know who all our insurers are. Passports & birth & marriage certs are all kept in one place. Though I gave my ds1 his birth certificate when he moved abroad and he lost it within months. hmm

I don’t have a grab bag. We used to have one when we lived abroad during difficult times, in case we needed to be evacuated in an emergency. I don’t particularly want to be reminded of that!

Merlotgran I’d keep copies of the car stuff elsewhere, in case the car went on fire.

Chewbacca Tue 03-Dec-19 21:41:29

Good point Cherrytree. I've got the deeds to my house; house and car insurance documents and birth certificates in the safe. But if the house was on fire, I'd have fried before I'd have got them out because its such a faff to open.

Do banks still do safety deposit boxes?

M0nica Tue 03-Dec-19 22:11:36

We have a tin box with all the key documents in it. I know who our house and holiday home insurers are and which broker handles my car insurance.

When ever we go to our holiday home I do a dump of all the documents on the computer to a high storage stick and leave it in the house so that we always have a back up away from our main home.

merlotgran Tue 03-Dec-19 22:22:13

SueDonim. Everything in the car is a copy. The originals are in the 'grab box' or on the laptop.

In case of breakdown I have all the necessary numbers and anything else is just a safeguard copy. The dogs' insurance details are in there as well in case they should need a vet while we're away or if they're in kennels.

Esther1 Tue 03-Dec-19 22:41:03

I use my I phone for everything and every possible piece of information is stored not just on the phone and synched to my I pad, but also stored on The Cloud. I photograph every document and store in my photo album, only digital though. - I wonder sometimes if I rely on digital too much! - but then I don’t even get paper copies of everything nowadays.

SueDonim Wed 04-Dec-19 00:15:14

My mistake, Merlotgran! I assumed you meant the only copy was in your car. smile

I do take photos of stuff quite often. I’ll even take a shot of the shopping list before I go out to save me spending half my time looking for a bit of paper.

harrigran Wed 04-Dec-19 09:51:50

No. I don't even know who provides gas wnd electricity. I think I need to get my head out of the sand.

shysal Wed 04-Dec-19 09:55:41

I keep copies of motor insurance in my car and others in a folder for various documents. All originals are in a fireproof deed box in the loft, so hopefully in the event of a disaster they would survive. Also, yes I do know the names of the companies.
I am surprised at some people who keep all their info on their phones only. In case of this being lost I have a typed list of important bank details, pension numbers, NI number etc in the front of files and also with DDs. I also have a hard copy of all phone numbers and addresses.
As you may have guessed, I am a 'belt and braces' kind of gal.

ninathenana Wed 04-Dec-19 09:56:23

blushblush I refuse to comment on this threaad

shysal Wed 04-Dec-19 09:58:11

I have a grab bag, but it contains stuff in case I should be rushed into hospital.

Hetty58 Wed 04-Dec-19 09:59:44

(But you just did)

EllanVannin Wed 04-Dec-19 10:02:30

----a lead-lined safe.

Cherrytree59 Wed 04-Dec-19 15:15:13

Thank you for all your replies
A bit if a wake up call for me.

From now on, I will go along the belt and braces route.

Just as an add on tip....
For the last few years I have requested that our current car insurance company, add our Daughter's name onto the car insurance data base.

Which means that in the unfortunate event of both myself and DH becoming incapacitated car accident, our daughter can speak on our behalf, avoiding the data protection palaver.

As others have said if lost, Birth certificates and passports also driving licence can be copied or renewed.

Chewy our deeds were previously lodged at the bank, the charged was £12 per year.