Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone know.....

(13 Posts)
kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 16:34:35

Thank you mini.

Elegran Sun 08-Dec-19 16:30:40

Mine only has one drawer, and no sliders. I wouldn't keep apples, pears, avocados, melons or stone fruits in the fridge anyway, or potatoes or bread or jam or pickles or chutney.

MiniMoon Sun 08-Dec-19 16:11:15

This is from Tasteofhome kitty

As a general rule of thumb, use the low-humidity setting for anything that rots easily. That means apples, pears, avocados, melons, or stone fruits. The high-humidity drawer is great for anything that wilts – think thin-skinned vegetables like asparagus or leafy vegetables like greens and fresh herbs. The high-humidity drawer is also ideal for ethylene gas sensitive items (like strawberries). Since most of the ethylene producers will be in the other drawer, your items will be super safe here.

Hope it's helpful.

My fridge doesn't have the sliding vents either, therefore the drawers are both high humidity.

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 16:05:14

doodke you can have mine cos I've got no flipping idea what to do with them. I put salad and veg in and I take it out! grin

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 16:03:53

Thanks minimoon - now please explain what needs to be kept where? grin

Doodle Sun 08-Dec-19 16:03:41

I haven’t got any slides things ??

Jane10 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:59:33

Gosh. I'm now off to examine my fridge!

Smileless2012 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:57:21

You explained that really well MiniMoon I adjusted mine when I got the fridge but haven't touched them since.

MiniMoon Sun 08-Dec-19 15:53:41

Here you go kitty, I think this is what you are talking about.

Most crisper drawers have adjustable humidity vents, allowing you to close off the airflow (creating more humidity) or open it up (creating a low-humidity environment). If your refrigerator doesn't have any controls, all of your bins will be high-humidity crispers, but most modern refrigerators let you choose. The best way to manage your crisper environment is by creating one high- and one low-humidity crisper drawer.

Hope that helps.?

Auntieflo Sun 08-Dec-19 15:52:47

Can you show us a photo kittylester?

timetogo2016 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:52:16

I think they are to keep foods separate if I understand exactly what I read.

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 15:46:55

what not waht!!

kittylester Sun 08-Dec-19 15:46:28

waht the little slidey things on the salad drawers in my fridge are supposed to do? confused

I've only had the fridge 12 years so it's about time I found out!!