Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone staying up all night on Thursday?

(94 Posts)
newnanny Mon 09-Dec-19 10:32:09

I shall be. I am getting snacks in and lots of coffee to keep me awake. I wonder which big beast will fall this time around. I just love seeing the map turn blue. I won't be watching on Sky though as I see they are having Bercow on and I dislike him. So ladies anyone else staying up to watch?

oldgimmer1 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:33:24

I've taken the day off today as I thought I'd be up all night anticipating the result but gave up as the exit poll showed the inevitable.

Was up at 5 though. Still hoping ....but disappointed.

Although it wasn't entirely unexpected, I suppose..

yggdrasil Fri 13-Dec-19 08:50:37

I heard the exit poll, and went to bed with Classic fm on so I couldn't hear all the awful details.
So now we have at least 5 years of Johnson doing what Johnson wants, since all his candidates were carefully picked for that purpose.
I am deeply depressed

NfkDumpling Thu 12-Dec-19 22:50:00

DH has announced he’s staying up so I’m still here. I’ll probably give in soon and get up at silly o’clock when more results are in.

GrandmaJan Thu 12-Dec-19 22:23:27

I don’t sleep particularly well so I’ll watch the television until about 1 and then take my iPad into the bedroom and I’ll keep checking the results. The results for my constituency will come in about 2-3am and I will be keen to see the result

mcem Thu 12-Dec-19 22:19:08

Exit polls say 55/59 SNP seats in Scotland but possible an 80+ majority for tories. Will Ruth Davidson keep her promise to go skinny-dipping in Loch Ness?Has Jo Swinson really lost her seat?
Facing the infamous 'emotional rollercoaster ' tonight!
I wonder how accurate the exit polls will prove this time.
Can't bear the idea of 5 years of BJ but looks like the demand is here in Scotland to fight for a 2nd referendum to provide an escape route!

Grammaretto Thu 12-Dec-19 21:58:53

I will try to stay up for a bit and write my cards. or come on here I won't have coffee though - whisky more like.
I pray we get rid of Boris.
I shall have the radio on and listen until I can't bear it any longer.
DH will stay up longer. He finds it all fascinating.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 21:23:39

It would be great tchshock tchgrin

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 20:44:30

That would be interesting, wouldn't it

All four main contenders losing their seats
And a hung Parliament

Doodle Thu 12-Dec-19 19:32:01

I feel sorry for those caught up in this election who are anxious, worried and concerned about which party will win and Brexit or not.
I feel even more sorry for those whose worries, dreads, fear and anxieties have nothing to do with the election or Brexit.

Blinko Thu 12-Dec-19 19:30:44

Boris may not be an MP, never mind Prime Minister.

Please God...

annodomini Thu 12-Dec-19 19:22:05

My GD, who, misguidedly voted to leave, has seen the light and voted for Labour. It's a Tory constituency with a remain MP.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Dec-19 18:37:14

Queue after queue of young people ready to vote. Loads of examples of these. Their future, their vote.

Witzend Thu 12-Dec-19 18:33:32

Anyone else in a seriously marginal seat? Ours is about the most marginal in the U.K. (Con/LD) - Con scraped in by the merest whisker last time.

Until recently I thought the LD candidate would more or less walk it - it's a strong Remain area - but now I'm not so sure.
Sitting Con MP is actually a very good and active constituency MP - not some arse we'd love to see the back of.
It'll be an interesting night, that's for sure!

quizqueen Thu 12-Dec-19 18:26:56

I have to be at work for 8am so probably won't bother to go to bed at all. I'll have a shower in the middle of the night to keep me awake!

Buffybee Thu 12-Dec-19 18:15:54

Not staying up but hopefully I will be able to Cheer as I did the morning after the Referendum!
C'mon Boris!!!!!!!

mcem Thu 12-Dec-19 17:57:05

maggiemaybe I'll look forward to hearing about your result. (Unless you'd like to disclose your constituency - I plan to be awake and it would be interesting to spot some results further afield.
Will be keen to see the result in our neighbouring constituency - the most marginal in UK with a majority of 2!

whywhywhy Thu 12-Dec-19 17:21:29

NO! It's bad no matter who gets in. Fedup with the whole shower of s****.

endlessstrife Thu 12-Dec-19 16:58:26

Definitely not. The words “ rock and hard place “ have been in my mind today. Need my sleep. Staying up won’t make a shred of difference.

Chewbacca Thu 12-Dec-19 16:37:31

Nope, got to be up for work as usual Friday morning and I have enough trouble sleeping without fretting all night about something I can't change.

Witzend Thu 12-Dec-19 16:32:06

I'll probably nod off on the sofa for an hour or so from about 9, which will keep me going, and then stay up till around 3.

annodomini Tue 10-Dec-19 11:13:42

I will hear the news in the morning. I've been around so many counts watching the votes accumulate on the 'wrong' pile and stayed up till the small hours so many times that I can't face it any more. My staying up won't make any difference to the result.

Annie26 Tue 10-Dec-19 10:45:45

Will be staying up and have done so on election nights for as long as I can remember. Not sure I will manage to stay awake all night but will give it a go. Have a Christmas lunch to go to on Friday not ideal but am sure there will be plenty to talk about!

henetha Tue 10-Dec-19 10:11:11

It's no good me trying to stay up as I would just fall asleep.
But I shall be keen to get up early on Friday morning to see how it's going and who's winning.

Anniebach Tue 10-Dec-19 08:47:35

No, but I do wake several times in the night so will try to resist turning on the radio. It will be bad news regardless of who is in the lead.

Grandma70s Tue 10-Dec-19 07:21:02

Certainly not, but I always wake during the night so I shall probably check what’s happening. I doubt if I’ll sleep very well.

I still remember the shock on Louise Minchin’s face when she announced the result of the 2916 referendum on BBC Breakfast.