Gransnet forums

Chat

The Parcel

(111 Posts)
Chewbacca Wed 11-Dec-19 19:03:37

Last Saturday, I was asked to take in a parcel for a neighbour across the road. I was happy to do so and watched as the delivery driver made out a card for them, telling them where their parcel was. I watched out for them all day Saturday, but there was no sign of them being in. On Sunday, I went across with the parcel and knocked on their door. Twice. Lights were on and I could see a tv flickering, but no one answered the door. On Monday I was out all day but I went across again on Monday night and tried again. No answer. On Tuesday, I wrote a note, telling them that I had their parcel and to knock on my door to collect it. I also popped a Christmas card through their door with the note. No response. Went again this evening; lights on, tv flickering but still no answer.

What on earth do I do? I'm out at work most days of the week, as they are, but surely they must have seen the note and want to retrieve their ruddy huge parcel that's cluttering up my hall? confused

Tanjamaltija Thu 19-Dec-19 17:14:36

It's simple. Tape a message to their letter-box, or to the knocker, where they are sure to see it coming or going, to the effect that "Unless you call for the parcel by *, I will leave it on your threshold that same evening."

Jaxie Tue 17-Dec-19 08:43:18

About delivery drivers: poor things, they are operating under the gig system and have to deliver a specific number of parcels daily in order to earn a half decent wage. No wonder they are always in a tearing hurry and mostly look so gloomy.

Nannan2 Fri 13-Dec-19 20:46:54

Id rather they leave it in my porch than bother others..i have had a couple left with my nxt dr neighbours,who are a busy young working family, newish to neighbourhood,and ive done same for them,but rather would not have the bother.

Nannan2 Fri 13-Dec-19 20:42:06

On the other foot- i was expecting a delivery,and when it never showed up i emailed the company,who said it had been delivered by royal mail. I contacted them,who said it had been 'signed for by you or one of your neighbours' -well it sure wasnt by me,and i had not had a card left either by royal mail- usually there is if you miss delivery- there was no mention from royal mail of which neighbour had 'signed for it'-and i asked again when i rang,but they did not know who signed?( surely they knew what number they left it at?) i asked a few neighbours round about,no one had accepted it. I never did receive nor find it,and never got a refund,nor was i able to claim it from royal mail as it was down as 'signed for' - i think company was a scam,and it was never even sent hmm so i was out of pocket,and as it was a gift for someone i had to buy again.(from somewhere else)angry

Jillybird Fri 13-Dec-19 20:19:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nannan2 Fri 13-Dec-19 20:18:50

Id just call the couriers to take it away.then refuse next time.

Notthatoldyet9 Fri 13-Dec-19 19:18:42

Perhaps they are ill disabled dead ...
Return to sender

Chewbacca Fri 13-Dec-19 05:34:41

LoveLaughLive, please see my post @ 19.29. wink

Lovelaughlive Fri 13-Dec-19 05:22:23

If it was large, bulky and take up space in my hall I wouldn’t have taken it in, just in case this scenario arose.
However, we know out neighbours well and they take parcels for us and vice versa. One family are a bit slow at picking up their parcels or dropping ours off, but they have four young children, so their lives must be chaotic to say the least. That’s fine though. We go over to pick up/drop off. Sometimes we have the parcel for more than a week or two if they’re away, but again, I only accept it if it’s a manageable size. I just put it to one side until they get back.
I’d much rather have that relaxed attitude and not have parcels on my doorstep displaying like a neon light that we’re away!
But yes, for any large parcels in future say no due to storage. It’s up to you on smaller parcels. I take those in whatever. Life’s too short to get worked up about little things like that.
As for for your EE neighbours, stick a note through saying that you’re sending it back on X date and do exactly that.
And take a chill pill because life just isn’t worth getting so het up about.wink

glammagran Thu 12-Dec-19 22:48:16

Possibly the sender input a wrong address on the parcel and the neighbour has no idea what it can be. My DD has taken in a parcel and put out an “appeal” on ShoutOut in order to find correct recipient. It worked!

Hawera1 Thu 12-Dec-19 22:38:27

Have you thought of ringing their work place. It does sound like they are away.

AlgeswifeVal Thu 12-Dec-19 22:26:56

Unless you bang on their window really loudly.

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 20:38:02

Thank goodness Chewbacca

Seakay Thu 12-Dec-19 19:31:13

Chewbacca
ignore previous, so glad that it was sorted amicably and that you have met a pleasant neighbour after all that!

Seakay Thu 12-Dec-19 19:29:56

MadMaggie mail is no longer redirected unless you add more stamps to cover the cost - hopefully if you just add the new address the cards will be held at the Post Office until the addressees turn up and pay a vast amount!
Chewbacca I'd contact the delivery company, explain what has happened and say you're no longer to look after the parcel for them as you don't want to be involved in a possible scam. Get them to collect it and then put a final note in your neighbour's door saying that you no longer have their property and for them to contact the delivery company.

Chewbacca Thu 12-Dec-19 19:29:25

Eureka! The young woman neighbour called this evening to collect it. I'm really glad now that I didn't throw a strop because she explained that she's attending evening college 3 nights a week, straight after full time work, and so doesn't get in until nearly 10 o'clock at night and she felt it was too late to call to collect. Her OH could have collected it instead I suppose but, I'm really very pleased that it was the young woman who called because she stayed and chatted for a little while.

Thanks all! brew

Buffybee Thu 12-Dec-19 18:18:45

I keep popping back to see if they've got their parcel yet.
Why would folk order stuff and then not bother picking it up?
Very odd......more money than sense, maybe!

ReadyMeals Thu 12-Dec-19 18:15:59

Madmaggie you can just write "not known at this address" and put back in post box. That way you have discharged your legal duty of care and it becomes the post office's responsibility.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Thu 12-Dec-19 17:54:38

The latest scam is to claim thst a parcel has not been delivered get a refund ftom company/person then pick up parcel so just make sure you are not part of that. I would give them 3 days or yoh will return yo sender with vosts down to them

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 17:44:01

Madmaggie I'm sure it is still possible to request the Post Office to re-direct your mail when you move and it is a fairly simple process.

I think I would save up all their Christmas mail, put it in a large envelope and post it to them without a stamp.
Enough is enough!

kircubbin2000 Thu 12-Dec-19 17:34:55

Newathiss
The plants or the neighbours? My plants always thrive, they are in flower now but rather small as they should have been planted ages ago. They were a present for her daughter .

quizqueen Thu 12-Dec-19 17:34:41

If you know roughly when they return from work then nip over and leave the parcel on their doorstep about 10 mins before they are due to arrive.

Madmaggie Thu 12-Dec-19 17:28:39

In a similar vein, we're still getting mail for the previous owners of our house - we moved in 5 years ago!! We have their new address and have tried everything from hand delivering to re-addressing, returning to sender (when it's obviously from commercial addresses), we even got one of our neighbours who were still great pals to phone them up and ask them to call and collect their mail marked 'private & confidential)! They did, they promised to sort it out. I've even had the adult daughter knock last year and accuse me of deliberately witholding mail, at this point I waited til she paused for breathe & let her have it - cheeky mare! Now it's started again with Christmas cards. It's an offence to destroy them, there's no return addresses so I'm still redirecting confused that's why I have printed up a load of sticky labels on my desktop pc with our return address & let our contacts know when we moved so no one is lumbered with my post!

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 17:24:26

It doesn't have Laithwaites or Naked or something similar stamped on the box, does it?

We'll all be round to yours later Chewbacca
wine

loopyloo Thu 12-Dec-19 17:20:28

They are away in the Caribbean or somewhere like that. Bet they turn up in January.