Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(46 Posts)
12Michael Sat 14-Dec-19 06:17:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , it has been wet but looks dry at the moment .
Slight change of routine today, thanks to a Xmas Carnival in Buckingham which messes the buses about.
Today, bus to Buckingham , then X5 to Bicester , have a coffee and savoury hot item.
Then get the local S5 or an X5 into Oxford , going to visit a micro pub in the covered market , I will then get a S4 to Banbury , then home.
Had a pancake lunch yesterday in Banbury, there is a Dutch pancake called " Little Amsterdam "had a savoury pancake plus a frikkadel starter with curry sauce , mayonnaise , and chopped onions , then a treat in the Deli side a bottle of Dutch curry sauce ,and one of mayonnaise Dutch of course.
Mick

Bestgranny Sun 15-Dec-19 09:33:43

Greetings micheal & all my friends on gn it’s 1am Sunday morning as we are 8 hrs behind & I’m feelin quite tired, just after watching The Irishman on Netflix, it was great .
Took it easy today, washed & polished some wine & champagne glasses in our dd apartment in Santa Monica & made my special sweet shortcrust for mince pies these are more important than the Turkey so the pastry is in the fridge I can take it out at any time & work on the magic that becomes mince pies . Dd came home from work & made the most delicious smoked salmon pasta dish , it’s not her profression but she’s a fabulous cook. Im tired now & need to rest . Still praying away for Gilly & for all the people who are struggling.

Marydoll Sun 15-Dec-19 07:25:45

THIS IS THE SATURDAY THREAD just in case anyone thinks it's the Sanday one there were gremlins earlier.?

Curlywhirly Sun 15-Dec-19 07:22:59

Good morning all. Oh, QuaintIrene, sounds like you need to get back to bed with a couple of paracetamols, hope you shake it off soon.

Am relaxing in bed with DGD, DH has been banished to spare bedroom as DGD doesn't like to sleep on her own when she stays over. Aren't children creatures of habit? Every time she stays we have to do the same thing - we have a 'cinema night'. We make up a little snack tray (cheese and crackers, cucumber, pringles and grapes and it has to be the same things every time), switch all the lights off, and watch a film. We never get to see the end of a film, as she gets bored after a while, but it's a chance for a little peace and quiet!

Hope Mr Gillybob is getting better and best wishes to all feeling under the weather or having problems. Take care.

QuaintIrene Sun 15-Dec-19 06:55:39

Good morning everyone. I am poorly.
Got up to feed cats and see to their trays.
Hot hot and wobbly. Psychedelic dreams. Nothing wrapped. Roof still leaking. Oh dear
Can’t take dog today
Feel on myown. Take care and have lovely day

12Michael Sun 15-Dec-19 06:44:42

Good Morning Everyone,
I have tried to start a Sunday but unable to as its telling me I need 20 characters or more .
Mick

NfkDumpling Sat 14-Dec-19 12:37:50

Thank you Nannytopsy. I shall look out for them.

moggie Sat 14-Dec-19 10:49:17

Good morning Mick & all from damp & grey Nottingham. Lots to do today, just woke up! Back home from New York y’day after a wonderful time with my DD. Just need my legs & feet to recover.
Hope your great nephew has good news & recovers soon Susan
Thoughts are with you Gillybob & your DH, I hope your DH’s care improves & your infection clears up quickly.
Hope all not well, struggling or have worries have a better day.
Have a good day everyone.

Susan56 Sat 14-Dec-19 10:22:33

Thank you for all your good wishes.x

EllanVannin Sat 14-Dec-19 09:40:12

Good Morning All x
Bright breezy and coldish. Woke up in the night as hailstones were battering against the window, so signs of what's to come.sad

Sitting with my feet soaking ready to cut my toenails and I wish you could see the water ! I was busy squirting what I thought was foot-soak ready to plonk my feet in the bowl and a spaghetti-like substance rose up. I'd used the foot cream by mistake so the worm-like strands are gathered around my ankles and strewn across my feet.

I have to get a spurt on with things today as I'm having my step-daughter stay with me over Christmas. She normally goes to family in other parts of the country but doesn't feel up to the hours travelling so she didn't need much persuading to spend a quiet Christmas here.
I'll be in my element cooking. She's more like a younger sister and we've always got on so that's fine by me.

I hope all goes well for your great-nephew Susan, a worrying time. Anyone else with worries, illnesses and general niggles, hoping things improve.
Thoughts as usual to the Gillybobs, get that little tree up as you never know you might just be welcoming Mr Gillybob home for Christmas.xx
Keep that chin up Dragonfly, you're doing well too.x

vena11 Sat 14-Dec-19 09:37:56

Good morning from a wet Bristol/
Home now from daughters, exhausted after my 2 days with DGS but enjoyable.
Going out this morning to a local NT I hope the rain stops or it wont be very pleasant.
Sorry to hear about your GN Susan I hope they get good results such a worry.
I hope everyone else has a lovely Saturday.

Bestgranny Sat 14-Dec-19 09:22:46

Hello mick & all my new friends on gnet I promised myself I would post every day when I came out to California, but jetlag got in the way, don’t get me wrong dh & I were out every day having lunch spent yesterday on Santa Monica Pier now there’s an exciting place to be, but somehow or other when we got back home rested a while, had dinner watched tv had a few Remy Martens ,sleep kicked in .
Yesterday was my birthday 13 th dec no big deal for me I’m well used to birthday ? days I have now had 77 of them is it never going to stop ,anyway because of where I am my dd keeps saying 77 Sunset Strip . So yesterday the birthday day my dd took me to her beauty salon in Brentwood close to Beverly Hills & relived me of all unwanted hair did my eyebrows & eyelashes & some eloctrossis ,now I feel clean during this time in the salon ds & grand kids called me on their way home from Laptop to wish me Happy Birthday they were so excited to sing to me even though they were exhausted from traveling, aren’t we so lucky that our kids just love us so much. Went home did my hair had a wee rest & then our daughter tool us to my favorite restaurant in Santa Monica where had a delicious meal a couple of beers I only drink beers when having a meal , & when we get home a couple of Remy martens , what’s not to like about that I hear you ask. Anyway I was determined to post tonight even though I’m very tired & I hope I haven’t regailed too much I would like if Gilly could have her husband home for Christmas & that all her sadness & fears would come to an end , she deserves to have happiness in her life having come through such an ordeal, I’m praying for that to happen & also for all the people who are not feeling up to the mark they are I’m my thoughts & prayers too .

Anniebach Sat 14-Dec-19 09:16:06

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Summerfly Sat 14-Dec-19 09:11:38

Good morning everyone. Snow on the tops here in Cumbria this morning. ☃️ Looks beautiful but so cold. Had a drive out to Ambleside yesterday to the garden centre. It looked very seasonal and I love wandering around looking at all the Christmas decorations. So many different lights and trees.
Had dinner out on the way back so no wondering what to cook when we arrived home. A very enjoyable afternoon all told.
Sending positive thoughts and love to all with health and other problems.
Keep warm everyone!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 14-Dec-19 09:06:54

Good morning one and all. It was very wet and windy earlier but now I can see a blue sky and the rain has stopped here in North Somerset.

Mr B is off out in moment he is going to race up some slag heap in Wales again but I will be going to the Food Festival that is taking place. I am just full of a cold with a thumping headache but I am sure some fresh air will make me feel better.

Nannytopsy Sat 14-Dec-19 08:32:26

NfK dumpling we had eco crackers at the WI. No cracker, just the joke! You pick one from a hat and have to shout BANG before you read it out. Good fun! Little cube boxes of jokes available from Sainsbury’s.

Nannytopsy Sat 14-Dec-19 08:29:26

Good morning Mick and his followers. Clear and bright in Suffolk after a lovely sunrise. I sold a pair of garage doors this week on a well known auction site beginning with e. They are being collected this morning - recycling at its best!
Then we are off to nephew at Leamington Spa for the night and up to Shropshire on Sunday to see my DB &SiL and more nephews, great nephews etc. It should be a fun weekend. I wonder if we shall get to see Leicester v Calvisano on TV? They did very well last week!
I wish everyone a good weekend, particularly those with worries over relatives.

Alygran Sat 14-Dec-19 08:26:06

Good morning from North Yorkshire. Clear sky here and the moon is shining down.
Spent much of yesterday putting the decorations up. Today I want to get the presents wrapped ready to take to DD2’s tomorrow. One less thing to think about when I go back for Christmas.
Thinking of Dragonfly, Gilly and Susan.
Hope today is kind to everyone

NfkDumpling Sat 14-Dec-19 08:23:56

Morning All

Bright and very breezy here in the north of Norfolk.

Nothing on the calendar for today and DH is still catching up on his sleep after staying up most of Thursday/Friday night.

We’re not having crackers this year by popular request from eco-offspring so I’m about to glue tiny bits of tinsel onto cocktail sticks for tiny table decorations for Christmas Day to make the table look more festive. Will add greenery later.

Best wishes to Gilly with the consultant meeting, but please don’t push to have DH home too soon before a care plan is in place and you’re fit and well. I do hope the antibiotics work this time.

Healing vibes as always winging to Dragonfly and I hope too that Susan gets reassuring news.

harrigran Sat 14-Dec-19 08:23:04

Good morning from the NE where it has been windy all night.
Spent yesterday afternoon wrapping birthday gifts and Christmas gifts for GC.
We have a relative in hospital abroad, we may need to leave the country at short notice so I am trying to be one step ahead.
Love to gillybob and hope she is getting some pain relief.

ninathenana Sat 14-Dec-19 08:19:40

Good morning everyone.

It's dry and the wind has dropped, there is a pleasant winter's day forecast in Kent.
Bought the turkey yesterday and the decs will go up today. It's happening !
Have a good day everyone.

cornergran Sat 14-Dec-19 08:18:48

Morning Mick, morning All from a very wet corner of Somerset. Oxford indoor market was always on our pre Christmas visit list when we lived close by mick. Enjoy your day, hope the buses cooperate. Not sure about the shape of today here, need to venture out at some point, would prefer not to have to paddle. Good wishes to you and your great nephew susan, we heard yesterday a young friend has cancer, it will be a few days before a treatment plan is shared, life’s hard sometimes. Sending love to gilly, I hope the consultant can improve your husbands care. Thoughts are with anyone with worries and hope Saturday is kind to everyone.

Mapleleaf Sat 14-Dec-19 08:05:25

Good morning all,

There's a bright moon still shining in the sky and it seems to have stopped raining for the moment, though the window still looks very wet. The strong wind and rain battering on the bedroom window woke me at 5am, but I did manage to drop off again until about 7.30am, so came down for a nice cup of tea.

Your day yesterday sounded nice, mick. Hope the bus service isn't too disrupted for you today.

DH and I put the trees up yesterday, so everything now looks festive. I've pottered about all week putting other bits out, but need DH to help me get the trees out of the garage and string the lights around them so had to wait for him being home from work and as he had a day off yesterday, we could tackle the job at leisure.

Thinking of gilly and anyone else with worries or ill health. Take care.

BlueSapphire Sat 14-Dec-19 08:02:32

Hello and good morning from Northampton where it is dry, but windy.

Had a great meet-up with ex teaching colleagues yesterday, about 15 of us, and a table groaning with goodies! Not only have we all now retired, but our school closed during the re-organisation of the school system here about 10 years ago, (we were a middle school, all of which disappeared), and we have done wonders to keep in touch. To my eyes, we all looked the same, no older!

Have to go out this morning, which wasn't planned, as I forgot to pick up my medication yesterday - ah well, an excuse for a coffee out!
Then an early meal this evening, and out to DD's Christmas band concert. Amongst other seasonal music they are giving a performance of The Snowman.
Shall miss the rugby on TV, (Saints play Leinster in Dublin), but I shall record it.

Hoping all goes well today for everyone.

Grammaretto Sat 14-Dec-19 08:02:29

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Still dark as we journey north. A few snow flurries last night.
I hope you all have a good weekend and that mr Gillybob continues to make progress.

NannyJan53 Sat 14-Dec-19 08:02:06

Good morning from another dull and grey Black Country

Had a lovely buffet lunch yesterday with my Monday Walking Group. Then dashed over to DD's to meet DGD4 from school. Her sister is 11 and comes home from Secondary school on the bus. Then I took them over to Mums where we had a fish and chip supper. Then she taught them how to play Patience.

Today I suppose we really should make a start on the Christmas Decorations. Getting them out of the loft will be a start smile

SIL is still in Hospital, no definite news what is wrong, although apparently he had a mini stroke when going through a procedure on Wednesday. It is all so worrying.

Susan such a shock about your Great Nephew, I just hope they can find out what is wrong and he will be back home soon.

Thoughts are with gilly Dragonfly and anyone else health or other worries.