Gransnet forums

Chat

Good morning Sunday on Micheal’s behalf

(78 Posts)
annsixty Sun 15-Dec-19 06:48:58

Micheal seems to be having trouble starting this morning’s thread so I thought I would try.

12Michael Mon 16-Dec-19 06:23:54

Good Morning Everyone,
Its playing up again please start and I will add
Mick

Candelle Sun 15-Dec-19 22:46:16

Another recommendation for you to visit the PALS office. Very often their influence can bear fruit.

Wishing your dental pain better. You really are going through the mill.

In a few months hopefully, you'll look back at this dreadful time and it will seem like a dream...

glammagran Sun 15-Dec-19 20:55:56

I am in tears having read about the treatment of your DH gillybob As a long term survivor from ICU he should be held in absolute awe. Does the ward have any volunteers who could supervise his meals when you aren’t there. And hope your tooth problem is completely resolved ASAP. ?

Grammaretto Sun 15-Dec-19 20:54:33

That is so awful Gilly after all he and you have been through.
I hope you can get him home soon. OTs are usually sensible and can arrange for aids to help at home.
Sending hugs.

vena11 Sun 15-Dec-19 20:27:16

I have just been reading all the post tonight and I am shocked at the care that your poor Dh is receiving Gillybob after all he has and you have been through , you need to complain and make your voice heard .

JenniferEccles Sun 15-Dec-19 18:45:37

Poor Gillybob. What a terrible situation you have described,

How is it that people on here , most of whom are not medically qualified, can see what is wrong with your husband’s care, what sort of food he should be eating, yet the hospital, full of experts get it so wrong ?

He will come on by leaps and bounds once you get him home.

EllanVannin Sun 15-Dec-19 18:24:20

Ooooh I wish I was on that ward Gillybob. I've nursed very sick people in the past in Mr G's position and after having had a tracheostomy I used to puree their dinners ( no special diets ) and feed them to make sure there was no choking.

I used to add evap to the milk puddings ( unbeknown to the ward sister as she used it in her tea ) a glass of Guinness in the evening instead of Horlicks. We were never swimming with staff but we were hands-on in patient care, something you don't see now which is very sad.

Scrambled egg for breakfasts for the post-ops and always vitamin drops from the medicine trolley.
In my days of nursing a lot of tripe was eaten by the sick patients as it just used to slither down and was a brilliant source of nourishment and the men especially loved it as it was cooked in milk and thickened. Also sweetbreads ( pancreas ) which was easy to swallow and also cooked in milk.

These meals were specially prepared for people who were recovering from ops. or whose illness prevented them from swallowing properly ( dysphagia ) until they were well enough for solids.

Patients also ate with their tubes in-situ too and this was back in the 50's/60's when they didn't have the same facilities etc as today.

This would never happen if matron was around---especially the one I worked under who used to run her fingers along the windowsills and bed ends----no noro-virus then though.

Gillybob I'd be asking the staff to give him a special diet even if it has to be pureed and milk puddings to get his digestion working again. DH needs a high-protein smoothie or something like that which is easily digested to get him back on the right road. Home-made egg custard and stuff like that.

I hope you can speak to someone who knows what they're doing. The poor man needs building up again to get some strength back in his muscles then everything else will improve. xx

GrannySomerset Sun 15-Dec-19 16:55:00

I know you have little energy, but a formal letter of complaint, copied to your MP and the local paper, might prove very effective, Gilly. What you describe is so outrageous that it almost beggars belief.

Curlywhirly Sun 15-Dec-19 13:49:16

Gillybob, that is terrible! I don't see why he can't have most food, as long as it is liquidised. My mother had cancer of the esophagus (many years ago) and towards the end of her life could hardly swallow - when she was in hospital they liquidised all sorts of meals; roast dinners, casseroles and even fish and chips! They couldn't do enough for her. I would also suggest going to the PALS office and complaining.

Kalu Sun 15-Dec-19 13:26:34

Always in the back of my mind when treating my patients Urmston. This could be someone very dear to me, my patients and their families needed reassurance of my staff and I doing our best.

I am however going back in time when Matron ran the hospital, feared by all medic staff regardless of status.

Scentia Sun 15-Dec-19 13:18:33

Had my alternative‘Christmas Day’ yesterday.
Some of the AC drank too much and, as they are both completely different sides of the political spectrum, the conversation inevitably lead to Boris and Jeremy?. My SiL was going out of his way to wind my DiL up about her obsession with JC and she obliged him by having a massive rant.
My DH had to tell her to shut up in the end!! Glad it was bedtime to be honest ? I do say every year’ let’s not have them all together next year’ but then I forget ?

Happy Days.

Terrible to read about the ‘care’ Mr Gillybob is enduring. Hope you manage to get him home soon Gillybob?

Marydoll Sun 15-Dec-19 13:15:29

Gilly, I have nothing to add to all the comments, just that I agree with all that is said. ?

It's so upsetting to hear what your poor husband is going through.

Urmstongran Sun 15-Dec-19 13:02:08

Oh gillybob your poor husband! Honestly, how would any of those nurses feel if he was one of THEIR relatives?

Dry Weetabix? Just beggars belief. Have they no brain cells?

Now your husband isn’t on nutritional supplements he needs to be able to eat them.

I agree - call in at the PALS office after your visit tomorrow. They are the patients’ friends and are on YOUR side. They will look into the situation and copies of their findings DO go to the Chief Executive of the hospital Trust.

Your husband won’t be the only beneficiary of your complaint.

cornergran Sun 15-Dec-19 12:53:24

Lots of good suggestions if you’ve the energy gilly. I share your horror at the poor nursing standards. It’s heartbreaking. Sending love to you both. It feels oh so inadequate thoughxx

mumofmadboys Sun 15-Dec-19 12:38:02

Could you ask for a meeting with the SALT team to be advised on what and how you should be feeding your DH and also ask to see the dietician to try and ensure he is getting enough calories, Gilly? Are the ward weighing him? Ask what his latest weight was and ask how often they are weighing him. Hope things improve.x

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 12:35:55

Despite celebrity chefs going in to hospitals and showing them how nutritious, suitable food can be prepared and more cheaply, hospital food is more appalling than ever.

So many hospitals have no kitchens and buy in their food from huge catering firms which then has to be sent considerable distances.

They can and should do better though, gillybob.

Bathsheba Sun 15-Dec-19 12:31:36

Good God Gillybob that is utterly shocking. So the 'food' they bring round isn't suitable and therefore he gets almost nothing? Do hospitals not cater for all medical dietary needs anymore? Clearly not.

I've been at the receiving end of appalling hospital food, absolute rubbish with no nutritional value whatsoever. Try a single slice of limp toast with a smear of marge for breakfast. Yep, that's it. Nothing else at all.

It is a total disgrace what is happening to the so called 'care' dished out on the wards today. Please, please complain - things will just continue to get worse if we don't stand up to them and make a fuss. I do so hope you get poor Mr Gillybob back home a.s.a.p. flowers

janzicb1 Sun 15-Dec-19 12:21:58

I think it’s amazing how you manage to hold it all together despite your great pain from tooth and the non help from the ward staff !! No wonder you’re fed up it sounds like Alice in wonderland making no sense at all !!! I hope your poor man has proper food to eat and swallow that will At last nourish and give home strength!!! All the best wishes for a much better week and an end to your tooth pain!!!

Roses Sun 15-Dec-19 12:15:37

Gillybob, the lack of basic human care your husband and you are having to put up with is disgraceful, I feel so sorry for you both,but also so mad that this lack of care seems to be ongoing. I really feel that you should speak to PALS and hope they can sort something for you.
Thinking of you every day and sending hugs

kittylester Sun 15-Dec-19 11:26:37

I think you'll find, gilly, a whole host of gners behind you, waving their fists and haranguing (sp) the staff to sort themselves out and take better care of mrgillybob, so no need to apologise to us!! We are with you.

dragonfly46 Sun 15-Dec-19 11:21:41

Gillybob I too am appalled. I really hope that the nursing staff change after today and you have a better team. I know the NHS are under pressure but there is no excuse for inhumanity. PALS are there to help you, please complain to them.

Kalu Sun 15-Dec-19 11:18:40

No need to apologise for your rant gilly. It’s perfectly understandable considering what you are going through. We all need to vent sometimes and support is always here for you.?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 15-Dec-19 11:07:34

gillybob I am appalled at the treatment your husband is getting. If you have the strength of will please complain, complain and complain again!

Tell your MP, e-mail the hospital directors etc.

I truly hope you have Mr.gillybob home very soon flowers

Kalu Sun 15-Dec-19 11:05:43

Good morning all. A bit damp here in Glasgow but at least it’s not raining.....yet!

Sounds as if you may have the fluy(is that a word)? thing I had at the beginning of the week quaintirene. Floored me for a few days but feeling much better now.

I have two linen Roman blinds soaking in the bath and now about to hang them out to drip off. Dry cleaning doesn’t quite do the job sometimes. ?it doesn’t rain.

What a dreadful time you are having gilly As a former nurse, I am sitting here incredulous as to the incompetence and unprofessional treatment your DH is having to endure. I only hope things turn around for you both soon.

Hope you are feeling a bit better today Marydoll. Feet up and take care of yourself.

Wishing everyone a good day

gillybob Sun 15-Dec-19 10:45:19

Sorry again for my morning rant but that ward is appalling . Can’t say otherwise. I have told them I will be bringing him home ASAP where he can be looked after properly with some dignity and respect.

Do they bl**dy well realise how he got in this state in the first place ? Eh? Do they know the meaning of HAI ? Do they know where the Legionella and the Sepsis came from ?

Apparently I have to have an OT assessment before he can come home, well we live in a 3 storey house so they will love that won’t they? I will make a bed up in the dining room if I need to, but HE IS COMING HOME !