Gransnet forums

Chat

Grandson and electronic games

(22 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:41:55

My grandson is almost ten, he does love his electronic games , but my DD and SIL limit the time he’s allowed on them, he has many interests though and if he’s not playing football then it’s swimming trampolining piano

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 22:37:12

When DGS meets his boy cousins, they can sit in the same room, all glued to their own devices but playing the same game.

I suppose it's a bit like us playing Monopoly in the dim and distant past but they can play when they're not together too.

MissAdventure Sun 15-Dec-19 22:06:13

My grandson is the same.
Although, he is often talking to real life friends online on Xbox. (I know, I can hear him from the living room!)

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 22:04:51

Gaming not faming

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 22:04:21

I thought if I heard that Minecraft narrator any more I would scream! What a boring voice.
Then DGS informed me that the narrator and his wife had just had a baby - someone must love him.
DGS has a limited time on there after he has done his jobs and before dinner but gets a quite argumentative if told to finish a game.
He does have a friend who never seems to stop faming.

SirChenjin Sun 15-Dec-19 21:25:55

If it reassures you, my 22 year old was exactly the same when he was a pre /young teen. We made sure he had other interests and outgrew the gaming obsession around 15/16 and he’s now doing his Masters in engineering, has a part time job while he’s at university, has a girlfriend, does a lot of sport, is a very sociable and articulate young man - and from time to time he plays a computer game. Don’t be too despondent- he and the vast, vast majority of his friends were/are exactly the same smile

Tedd1 Sun 15-Dec-19 21:18:25

Thank you for all your messages. It's comforting to know he's not the only one but I fear for the future.

annodomini Sun 15-Dec-19 19:31:42

The World Health Organisation recognises Gaming Disorder as a world-wide condition. If you are concerned about your GC's gaming obsession, have a look at the WHO web site:
www.who.int/features/qa/gaming-disorder/en/
I will be having a serious talk with my GS (15) when I see him next week.

Newquay Sun 15-Dec-19 19:03:54

Was with DGD, 6, over the weekend. This morning she couldn’t wait to get onto her iPad. I tried to watch it with her but not easy. Finally got her to switch it off when porridge ready!

Hetty58 Sun 15-Dec-19 18:48:25

It certainly shuts us out, doesn't it?

NanKate Sun 15-Dec-19 18:45:57

I emphathise Tedd my 8 year old DGS would be on the IPad for hours if we let him, fortunately he is football mad which gets him running about. He rarely plays with any of his other toys. His younger brother has the balance much better. I find it very sad.

HettyMaud Sun 15-Dec-19 17:39:08

I've started a thread about this before. It breaks my heart. I wish these gadgets had never been invented. Like the OP, I struggle to get a conversation with my GS now aged 13. It's a constant battle and upsets me no end. We used to do lots of things together. We still do but the phone is always there. It's awful. It IS different to a book as you don't know what they are looking at on the phones. I'd be absolutely delighted if my GS wanted to read a book - or even watch TV! Good to read your post, rosenoir.

dragonfly46 Sun 15-Dec-19 17:04:11

I was the same Hetty - always head in a book.
Is it really so different?

Hetty58 Sun 15-Dec-19 16:58:01

Now that I've thought about it, at those ages (10 - 16) I was always to be found reading a book - at every possible opportunity. On journeys, in the bath and in bed I'd be reading, even by torchlight!

SirChenjin Sun 15-Dec-19 16:13:36

From around 10-15/16 it’s what they all do unfortunately. Providing that they’ve also got other activities and sports and time limits set on their playing times then I think you just have to grin and bear it - they do emerge from their gaming chrysalis eventually!

DH has banned DS(12) from his X box for a week following a bout of insolence he got from him yesterday - he’s not very happy today grin

Yiayia4 Sun 15-Dec-19 15:21:13

Yes normal, all four of my grandsons play Xbox or computer games,lucky to get a conversation sometimes and I do the same as you Hetty

Badenkate Sun 15-Dec-19 14:59:28

Sounds pretty normal to me - although we do play a card game called Exploding Kittens which will entice all of them away from their computer games ?

FlexibleFriend Sun 15-Dec-19 14:43:37

It all seems normal to me, we always had rules, we ate at the table and there were no games allowed.
Just make sure game playing doesn't come before everything else.

rosenoir Sun 15-Dec-19 13:43:58

My grandson is 15 and just coming out of the constant gaming phase, he is back to doing art, going out with friends and having conversations. Its lovely to have him back.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Dec-19 13:32:29

It's what they do - unless or until you prise them away from it!

I don't allow game consoles/iPads/phones at the dinner table, in the bathroom, at the cinema or out on walks and short journeys. I take them away at bedtime too - I'm such a grumpy old killjoy!

stella1949 Sun 15-Dec-19 13:26:37

No different from my 10 year old grandson. He also plays all the time. I'm lucky that I drive him to school every morning, so we do have a lot of great conversations in the car.

I'm the same with Christmas gifts - he never wants anything but game-related things. So I'm giving him £50 towards his latest purchase.

Tedd1 Sun 15-Dec-19 12:17:38

My eleven year old grandson plays electronic games all the time. I feel really sad as we used to have lots of conversations but sadly no more.
We don't know what to buy him for Christmas as all he says he wants is a DS 300. We don't mind contributing to it with other family members but is it right and is he any different to other boys his age?