Gransnet forums

Chat

Amusing surnames lighthearted post

(196 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:22:13

I will start by apologising as don’t want to upset anyone, it’s really a lighthearted post, but I have to smile when I hear certain surnames, in the town where I grew up we had some funny ones namely lol excuse the pun, Gotobed. Bearcock . Bowcock. Babcock, Higginbottom .the funniest was two males one was Ivor Wright and the other Ivor Whitehead honest to god it’s true,

callgirl1 Thu 19-Dec-19 23:51:46

Our music teacher at school was Miss Frost. Then shev married a Mr. Glass, and was forever after known as Frosted Glass.

Coppernob Thu 19-Dec-19 17:36:02

One of my granddaughters has a teacher called Miss Fortune. The daughter of a friend married a lad whose surname is Christmas.

LadyJus Wed 18-Dec-19 19:26:52

And the surgeon who performs vasectomies st my local hospital? Mr Waterfall!

LadyJus Wed 18-Dec-19 19:25:38

I was horrified to learn that Zoe Ball & Norman Cook named their son Woody - As in Woody Cook? No, he wouldn't!
My neighbours surname was Nutt, his initial was P and her name was Hazel...
Another neighbour has a son named OllieKinns! Do parents overlook the whole name?!!

Witchypoo Wed 18-Dec-19 09:33:25

Chris Moss

Witchypoo Wed 18-Dec-19 09:32:09

Knew a teacher named mrs Hiscock and i worked for a man named Ralph Ralph.

GrannyBeek Wed 18-Dec-19 05:59:14

My DIL’s maiden name is Bytheway. I do try to stop myself saying “By the way...” when talking to her. The midwife who delivered one of my babies was a Sister Kidd.

Cindy8 Wed 18-Dec-19 00:10:53

When i was at school i had an English teacher called Mr Waterworks and a Geography teacher called Mr Overend plus one of are Gym teachers was called Cliff Richard!???

Ooeyisit Tue 17-Dec-19 16:55:06

My mum had s classmate called Alfred hart

Granny23 Tue 17-Dec-19 16:12:04

My DD had a class mate called Christopher Smith - Chris for short. Not really subject of teasing until it came to this time of year, when everyone made a point of referring to Chris Smith's Cards, Chris Smith's Day, etc.

I was at school with an Ellen Nutt, whose sister was called Hazel, also a Willie Little, had local solicitors called Welsh & Robb and in the Bank a girl called Penny married a Mr Money.

Musicgirl Tue 17-Dec-19 15:47:07

We also knew of a lady called Joyce who married a Mr Joyce and another lady called Cherry who married a Mr Pye.

Blondiescot Tue 17-Dec-19 15:41:34

Henetha, I laughed at the Onions one - I remember my mother telling me about the time when she worked as a clerkess and had to phone a man by that name - well of course, she pronounced it like the vegetable, only to be told in no uncertain terms by the very posh gentleman that it was O'Nions!

KatyK Tue 17-Dec-19 15:25:47

We had a teacher at school called Miss Stagg. She married a Mr Wild and was thereafter referred to as Wild Stag.

Dillyduck Tue 17-Dec-19 13:13:40

My friend's surname was Allcock and for a few years lived in a lovely thatched cottage called.....Willy's Well!

quizqueen Tue 17-Dec-19 13:10:44

Thanks for the explanation, Pittcity, I don't think that name is too bad or embarrassing, compared with some of the most amusing ones on here.

Sara65 Tue 17-Dec-19 10:54:10

I’ve just had a customer called Mr Paradise, thought that was sweet.

Grannyguitar Tue 17-Dec-19 10:19:16

In the 1960's/70's the Norwich dustcarts proudly bore the name of their Head of Department - Mr Smellie!

henetha Tue 17-Dec-19 10:16:01

I knew a Pearl Frost once, which I thought was rather beautiful.
My mother had a friend called Minnie Orange.
I had a teacher called Miss Onions, but she pronounced it
O'Nions.

Witzend Tue 17-Dec-19 09:14:04

When I was maybe 6 or 7, there came to school a new teacher by the name of Miss Winterbotham.

Another teacher told us in advance that we might find her name very funny, but we absolutely mustn't laugh, since it would be extremely rude.

I think we managed to behave ourselves!

RustyBear Tue 17-Dec-19 09:06:01

My Dad once had to introduce Mr Dippy to Mr Batty.

Silverlady333 Tue 17-Dec-19 08:49:24

My partner once knew a Richard Head and a Richard Everard! What on earth were their parents thinking!

Funnygran Tue 17-Dec-19 08:08:12

A bit late to this discussion but my DH used to have a colleague in the US who was called Randy Hardick.

Sook Tue 17-Dec-19 08:00:19

My husband had a renal transplant in 1977. The transplant team were Drs Bone, Gore and Sells I kid you not grin

Phloembundle Tue 17-Dec-19 07:52:03

In my primary class was a girl named Rose Bush.

shysal Tue 17-Dec-19 07:27:37

A Methodist minister I once knew did some work somewhere in Africa, where they used names that they liked the sound of, such as Helicopter and Jam Sandwich.