Gransnet forums

Chat

Frozen Turkey

(9 Posts)
MarpleBlue28 Thu 19-Dec-19 18:19:57

Thanks all for advice, no rats in the garage #thankfully!
I think I'll put it in the bucket as I normally doo.
Thanks appreciate advice xx

FlexibleFriend Thu 19-Dec-19 14:29:07

I usually defrost mine in the conservatory but since having a new roof, windows and doors it's as warm as any other room in the house so I could do it in the spare fridge freezer in the garage but give it an extra couple of days which would mean putting it in the fridge today. Hmmm

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Dec-19 14:27:41

That's one mighty bird!

I defrost mine in the cellar, in a box, with something heavy on top. We've never seen vermin down there, but I'm taking no chances. grin

As for how long it takes, I just follow the instructions on the wrapping.

Dottydots Thu 19-Dec-19 14:24:56

That's a good one, Dilly! grin

DillytheGardener Thu 19-Dec-19 14:21:16

Shysal where in the car do you put it? In the driving seat? grin

shysal Thu 19-Dec-19 14:15:11

I hope you don't have rats in the garage! If I run out of space to defrost, or store a fresh bird, I use my car!

EllanVannin Thu 19-Dec-19 11:59:24

D bought GD a large frozen turkey yesterday so I told her to leave it in the 'fridge for as long as poss. because they tend to still have ice lumps inside them so must be thoroughly thawed before cooking.

MiniMoon Thu 19-Dec-19 11:32:47

I've usually defrosted a frozen turkey in an unheated conservatory.
I've never had one that big, but two or three days to defrost in a cold garage ought to be sufficient.
I hope it goes well.

MarpleBlue28 Thu 19-Dec-19 11:02:08

Just after a bit of advice as read so much!
I have an 8.10kg frozen bird. Now normally 2/3 days before Christmas Eve I place in a bucket & leave in the cold garage to defrost.
Can anyone give me pointers as the best way to defrost & is fridge or garage a good thing?
Thanks in advance.

#Merry Christmas to you & your families ???⛄