Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(52 Posts)
12Michael Fri 20-Dec-19 06:27:41

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and wet here in Brackley this morning, my usual shop this morning.
We have a pie shop in the town , and they bake there own pies , I have ordered a family size one for next week when I go away on Xmas Eve.
Mick

Alygran Fri 20-Dec-19 08:48:13

Good morning from North Yorkshire. Dull and grey here but no rain at the moment.
Have the village Christmas Card to deliver on my ‘patch’. Every house in the village gets a card signed by everyone else. You make a donation when you sign and all the profits go to charity. The card always has a lovely local festive view.
Hairdressers this afternoon then some food shopping.
Hope everyone has a good day.

Anniebach Fri 20-Dec-19 08:51:33

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Mapleleaf Fri 20-Dec-19 09:02:33

Good morning,

Another grey and dismal looking morning, although not raining at the moment.

Happy birthday to your DH, harrigran ?.

I hope you get your medication today, marydoll - they've certainly messed things up, haven't they?

Yippee, I finished gift wrapping yesterday! I'm always full of intentions to wrap as I buy, but never do. Fortunately, this year, there weren't so many to wrap as some are having gift vouchers/cash, and they just go into festive envelopes.

Not a lot planned for today. Going round to neighbours tonight for pre- Christmas get together, which will be nice. Otherwise, it's just bits and bobs to get on with today.

Hope today is a good one for you all.

Susan56 Fri 20-Dec-19 09:07:37

Good morning from Shropshire.
A day at home today.
Sending good wishes to all with family/health worries.
I hope things are continuing to improve gilly.Sending love.x

Harris27 Fri 20-Dec-19 09:13:44

Whoopee! Last day of work for two weeks where I need a real rest after a long term we are private nursery and work all year only closing for Christmas. I did have a week off in august then had awful kidney stone and needed treatment. So happy I’m off after today. The break will do me good and I can see my family properly. Love to all.

Kalu Fri 20-Dec-19 09:31:54

Good morning from a grey start in Glasgow.

I was too late to pop in yesterday due to a change of meds, one of which was sleeping tabs. I certainly slept, for hours, but, woke with a cotton wool head. Capsaicin cream helped a lot for my PN.

So pleased to hear your SiL was allowed home NannyJ. Apart from family pleased he his home, we have always had labradors so I know exactly what that welcome home is like. I do miss them

I’m shocked to read that Hermes have let so many people down. How these drivers sleep at night is beyond me. I was let down by them once but to happen at this time of year when so many rely on them to deliver gifts is so disappointing.

Although I have now finished the tree etc. I keep tweeking at it and adding more bits around the house??

Hope everyone has a good day and best wishes for those dealing with troubles and illness.

oldgaijin Fri 20-Dec-19 09:49:51

Good morning from Aberdeenshire...it is just about dry but very windy.
I managed to get a face/feet/bum groom for the mutt yesterday and he had a bath with Christmas spice shampoo...now he smells like a mince pie.

We had drama on Monday night... had to call NHS24 as the pain from diverticulitis was excruciating, like being cut in half. Nice GP came with yet more pills, but I think I've turned the corner at last. Ah, the joys of growing old!

Have a happy day.

Kalu Fri 20-Dec-19 09:55:31

Oh I really hope you have turned a corner*oldgaijin*??
What a terrible time you must have had ?

The mutt won’t recognise himself being so handsome and smelling devine?

Bestgranny Fri 20-Dec-19 09:59:09

Hi everyone from sunny California, it’s not sunny at the moment it’s bed time , but just to keep going with the thread my day was so nice when hubby & I were out this afternoon we went to marina del Ray for lunch & then had a nice walk around the Marina looking at all the multi million dollar boats , I have my eye on one for when I win the Lotto, dream on girl . I made the mince pies during the week & today just dusted them with icing sugar , even though I say it myself they look amazing. This is true people have been texting my daughter to ask are they going to get some of my mince pies they are mostly friends of ours that we know over the years but there’s a party here on Sunday so they will b here . What I’m really excited about we have taken the car out to drive, this is not a. easy thing to do , I have to say it’s quite stressful other side of the road mad freeways & automatic oh & lunatic drivers but it has to be done in order to get to where you want to be. Anyway I hope all my new friends on gn are looking forward to Christmas & not stressing to much .I also hope Mrs gilly is looking forward to Christmas with her dear hubby , they deserve to have areal nice Christmas with the family, still keeping them in my thoughts & prayers. It’s now 2 oc in the morning,I need to get some rest . Hope everyone has a day when something nice happens & makes them feel good .

Kalu Fri 20-Dec-19 10:17:32

. Divine.

Ginny42 Fri 20-Dec-19 10:28:48

Very late good morning today from Cheshire where it's grey and damp. My family arrived in the UK at almost midnight last night and we didn't get to bed till around 2.00.

A walk in the woods blew some of the cobwebs away and now going to visit a friend in a care home, then up to Manchester tonight for an early start on the Flying Scotsman to Carlisle tomorrow.

Hope everyone's Christmas plans are going well, that the Gillybobs are settling in back at home and all with worries and sickness have a better day. All you bakers are making me feel most inadequate. I have a gingerbread house from M&S to make up with my GS, but it's all in the kit. grin

Enjoy your day.

Rufus2 Fri 20-Dec-19 10:36:07

Evening All; we well and truly copped that 45C today! Still 37C at 9.30pm.! Very sad hearing of 2 volunteer firefighters being killed last night in NSW. Latest TV News pics of fires are catastrophic and make all our other "problems" seem totally insignificant. sad

BlueSapphire Fri 20-Dec-19 10:48:52

Good morning all from a very wet Northampton.

Bit late this morning as I slept in till 7.45, and then realised that DDIL was picking me up at 8.30 to go to DGD's school Christmas show! Talk about panic stations! Straight out of bed and into the shower. Just had time to have half a cup of tea and a biscuit. It was worth getting up for though, as the children put on a good show with carols interspersed with poems telling the Christmas story. Met one of my ex-pupils from 40 odd years ago who was there watching his daughter!

DDil has just gone home to walk the dog, then she is picking me up shortly for a Sainsbury's expedition. I expect it will be heaving.

Then home where I shall have a lazy day. No dinner to cook as I have got a home-made curry out of the freezer.

Hope that Mr &Mrs Gilly have had a good night. And hope that everyone has a good day.

Annapops Fri 20-Dec-19 10:49:12

Good morning all from a very grey County Durham.

Such awful news about those Hermes deliveries. I hope all affected manage to get sorted before the big day.

Yesterday I had a click and collect order from John Lewis at the local garage. Three lamps packed together in a box bigger than me. A young lad helped me carry it to the car but no way would it fit in. Of course I had left child seats on the back seats so lowering those was not an option. Absolute panic began to set in. The car already had groceries and two other parcels packed in the front. Then, brain wave! Why not empty the big box.

Once inside it I was met with three much smaller manageable boxes and so much plastic packaging it could have been wrapped around my car several times over. Nightmare once more trying to squeeze that into the boot.
My next hurdle was to jump on the card board box which proved to be very resistant. What a sight I must have made. Never again!

Have a good day everyone.

EllanVannin Fri 20-Dec-19 11:40:04

A late Good Morning to All x
Just dull and grey with no sign of it shifting without a stiff breeze, but not going far today.
Don't quite know if I'm coming or going yet as I've spent a good part of the morning talking to neighbours but I've managed to get cracking with the washing for starters.

Still a bit weak at the knees after my 6 hour hospital stay yesterday am but for the second time this year I've just taken 2 paracetamol so I'll probably buck up later.

Well I haven't been very " with-it " of late or perhaps too much in a hurry I don't know, but I hadn't fully closed the freezer last night ! The turkey was softish on top ! So I was in a bit of a flat spin.
Since securing the door I've done nothing but think about the blasted turkey and have decided to buy another one and sling that one as I don't fancy a half-unfrozen then refreezed one.

I'll hopefully be more calm later and put the tree up and ice the cakes. Expecting just 3 parcels which should have been here yesterday so I'll wait and see.

Hope everyone's day goes well and those who are unwell I hope you improve. Also thoughts go to the Gillybobs who I hope had a decent night xx

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 20-Dec-19 11:48:10

Morning all from a very wet South Notts, how can there be any more rain up there?
Intend to visit sister early afternoon unless something crops up. Thinking of those with problems and worries.

hulahoop Fri 20-Dec-19 12:03:36

Morning from a dreary drizzling day here in Yorkshire we waited in all day yesterday for a parcel from Hermes got an email last night to say will try to deliver today .we had to go out so gave them a safe place .been and done big shop no sign of delivery yet ! Must admit I don't shop on line much it's something my oh ordered .

GrandmasueUK Fri 20-Dec-19 12:32:16

Good afternoon to all. I feel as though I've done a day's work already. I've finally had a chance to catch up on Gransnet. I always enjoy the Good Morning thread (the later I leave it, the more there is to enjoy/find interesting). I recognise a lot of the names and look forward to everyone's posts. My daughter and 3 of her friends have gone to Edinburgh on an overnight trip. I was sorely tempted to send her a pic of Marydoll and ask her to be on the lookout and avoid, after reading of her daily exploits with planes, trains, automobiles and hotels. I am looking forward to reading about her trip tomorrow. grin

Hoping everyone has a good day, especially those with health issues flowers

Special healing thoughts to gilly flowers

glammagran Fri 20-Dec-19 16:31:07

I used Hermes to send some presents for DGC in the Netherlands including a birthday card for one of them at the beginning of December. This too has gone missing.

glammagran Fri 20-Dec-19 16:35:55

We are meeting all 3 children and their families in Reading tomorrow for a long lunch inc. from the Netherlands. They are staying London to watch a west End show tonight. This will be the first time everyone has been together at the same time since Christmas 2015. Can’t wait but it wasn’t my idea to meet in Reading the last Saturday before Christmas and with Reading FC hosting a match as well. ?

Greenfinch Fri 20-Dec-19 16:52:49

I am sure you will have a lovely time glammagran with all the family but I agree with your thoughts about Reading and with the SW train strike at the moment things are even worse. Be careful if you are travelling by train as the late evening ones are often cancelled.It is an easy place to get to though and has its good points.Enjoy!

Summerfly Fri 20-Dec-19 17:22:06

I’m late today! Had a problem with the internet but all’s well now.
After months of depression I can honestly say I’m at last starting to feel more like my old self again and am looking forward to spending Christmas with my DD and her family. I’m going to the hairdressers tomorrow for the first time in ages and I’ve bought myself a new outfit for Christmas Day.
Hope all of you who are poorly will feel better soon. xxx

NfkDumpling Fri 20-Dec-19 18:03:34

I was swearing about Hermes last week when my order didn’t turn up on Thursday, having been in all day. I had to cancel my volunteering stint on Friday leaving people in the lurch but at least it arrived. A good reason for using the high street and not buying on line.

NfkDumpling Fri 20-Dec-19 18:57:53

Pleased you’re feeling better Summerfly, its hard this time of year so well done.

I’ve just been reading the Sydney Morning Herald on line Rufus. Looks like they could cool down a bit for Christmas. Maybe even a light shower. Hopefully it’ll cool down for you too. Fingers crossed.

glammagran Fri 20-Dec-19 20:18:41

Greenfinch we are travelling with youngest daughter, partner and 15 month old DGD and she has paid for a parking space on someone’s private drive a 10 minute walk away using an app (she has used before). But I dare say the traffic will be horrendous. Lived in Wokingham for many years before moving to Aldermaston, then North Wiltshire.