Gransnet forums

Chat

Nodding off without much warning, old age or should I be concerned?

(55 Posts)
OldJoints Sat 21-Dec-19 18:52:44

Hello,

So recently I've started to notice I'm falling asleep in a chair on most evenings now. Sometimes it can be even on a day where I've done nothing and shouldn't be tired. I wasn't thinking to much of it until last night when I nearly burnt my legs with hot tea. Was around 7pm, I'd just finished dinner made a cuppa and sat down to watch tv. Without realizing I dozed off, woke up a short time later with the cup of tea soaking into my trousers. Tea had cooled slightly but still gave me quite a shock and got me worrying.

Does anyone else do this? Do you think this is just age related (I'm 68) or is it worth me seeing a doctor to be sure there isn't a underlying condition.

TerriBull Mon 27-Jan-20 16:48:15

simulteanously simultaneously

TerriBull Mon 27-Jan-20 16:45:45

I too have hypothyroidism, around the time that was diagnosed, mid 40s, having been completely unaware such a condition existed, I remember feeling unbelievably tired all the time. 20 years on and still experiencing menopausal symptoms, I often fall asleep 9 pm usually when I'm about to watch something worthwhile on tv., occasionally I've also fallen asleep in the afternoon. I find such sleeps simulteanously annoying and satisfying, annoying because of what I've missed but satisfying because afterwards I feel I experience a 2nd wind, although not always a good thing if I'm about to retire to bed.

My husband will often come home in the afternoon from doing something physical, golf or gym, start reading and literally just go, often dropping the book as he does, then he will wake himself up again with a start. I try to pre empt that by removing the book if I'm in the same room. I believe napping is a way of regenerating ourselves, hence the term "power nap" but in the right place of course.

annodomini Mon 27-Jan-20 13:07:23

About 25 years ago, driving north on the M6, I suddenly noticed the wheels of a huge container truck uncomfortably close on my right. I had momentarily dropped off. Luckily I was passing a service area and took a nap in the car park. I took a couple more naps before I reached my destination. After being very sleepy during my stay in Scotland, I went home and consulted my GP. A blood test showed that I had hypothyroidism and I've been on thyroxin ever since. I'm subject to daytime napping and unforgettably spilt a mug of tea on my laptop last year. Now I can put my fatigue down to Sjogren's syndrome and I don't drive very far now - well, I'm getting on a bit!

Megs36 Mon 27-Jan-20 12:08:48

So therefore MO does this diagnosis mean no more driving?

BlueSky Mon 27-Jan-20 09:08:29

Same here DH was napping at the drop of a hat which was unusual. But when he did experience a micro sleep while driving we knew it was time for a check up. And yes he did have sleep apnea totally managed now by using the mask.

M0nica Mon 27-Jan-20 08:10:32

It never hurts to get something checked out. The worry alone when you do not get things checked can damage your health.

The danger with napping at the drop of a hat, is the danger of having a micro-sleep when driving. This was what happened to DH, thankfully it happened in nearly stationary traffic on the motorway and no harm was caused, but if it had happened 10 minutes earlier or later in the journey, in fast flowing motorway traffic the result could have been catatstrophic for us and others.

Thankfully, this event had DH off to the doctor as soon as we got home, and the check-up, diagnosis and treatment have transformed his life. Must go now, he has started on another DIY job and I am needed to hold something while he drills a hole in the wall (and clear up afterwards).

Megs36 Sun 26-Jan-20 14:07:27

Old joints, I have the same problem, always miss the end of TV programs- and sometimes the middle too. Good job you can ‘rewind’however I am a bit older than you. I’ve recently had all the tests,blood, ECHO, ECG, scan; you name them, nothing wrong, don’t let all the GN ‘experts’ scare you. My father was the same and lived to 94!

Jane10 Sat 25-Jan-20 22:34:03

Thanks for the update. Sounds like it was well worth the trip to the GP. Hope you continue to improve.

crazyH Sat 25-Jan-20 22:28:51

6 - 8 hours uninterrupted sleep? You are sooooo lucky Oldjoints !!!

ExperiencedNotOld Sat 25-Jan-20 20:56:32

I used to sleep terribly and nod off during the day especially at work when reading from the screen or doing something routine. In fact I never realised just how much I had brief naps until my concerned manager told me, worried that I’d d9 it when driving. That was four years ago and it’s all long gone. Through cutting out most added sugar in my diet, cleaning up what I eat generally (no cakes, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, crisps or ready made etc) and eating a 70% ish vegetable based diet most of which I’ve cooked from scratch myself (I do used tinned and frozen). I also take vitamin D3, B12, magnesium with zinc and a probiotic when I feel I need it. It works, I sleep properly, I have no need to nap and I’m a lot healthier. And I lost weight.

Callistemon Sat 25-Jan-20 20:45:18

Oh good, nice to have an update Oldjoints

I am still nodding off in the evening but think that yes, it is old age.

Jomarie Sat 25-Jan-20 20:22:44

That's really good news - thanks for the update - hadn't contributed to this post but have been really interested to read it - It's great when someone posts with a "problem" and then kindly updates us. Just think how revitalised you will be in a few months time when the tablets have fully replenished your iron levels - there'll be no stopping you grin

OldJoints Sat 25-Jan-20 19:56:01

Forgot to do a update sorry! I gave it to the new year to see if my symptoms improved (they didn't). After two more cups of tea went over my lap (I didn't learn my lesson the first time lol) I thought enough is enough. I took your advice and went to the doctors at the beginning of January. Told him about my problem and he decided to send me for a blood test. Got the results back and turns out my iron levels were low. Doc read out a list of symptoms to see if I had them. At least half of them I was suffering from and I didn't even think anything of it lol. Was put on iron tablets and they seem to be working, I've only nodded off once in the last week. Do have a bit more energy. However doc said tablets will take months to full replenish my iron levels.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I was being silly by not going doctors beforehand.

OldJoints Mon 23-Dec-19 19:27:46

I've ruled out Narcolepsy after doing a bit of reading. Narcolepsy causes you to fall asleep anywhere anytime. I'm only doing it in the evenings. Plus you usually get it when you're younger.

Patsy70 Sun 22-Dec-19 21:08:11

OldJoints - I wouldn't be too alarmed by people's comments, but certainly worth checking with your GP. Let us know the results. Best wishes.

harrigran Sun 22-Dec-19 20:52:09

I often fall asleep whilst watching TV, usually during the afternoon. When I wake I have usually scribbled all over my crossword, note to self put down pen before dropping off.

Greenfinch Sun 22-Dec-19 20:43:57

I am known to drop off while talking to people and I would have missed my stop on the bus last week if someone who knows me hadn't woken me up .This sudden sleepiness due to sleep apnea can be very embarrassing and I dare not go to the cinema even in the daytime.Narcolepsy usually comes on at a much earlier age.

M0nica Sun 22-Dec-19 20:35:44

People with sleep apnea do that as well - and it is much more common. They are just so tired, they are gone in a second. DH often dropped his kindle.

NanTheWiser Sun 22-Dec-19 20:28:36

Narcolepsy crossed my mind too, although it is quite rare.

BlueSky Sun 22-Dec-19 19:00:52

Sounds like narcolepsy if you drop suddenly without being aware of drifting into a nap.

Ohmother Sun 22-Dec-19 18:09:04

Meant to say because I also snore! ?

Ohmother Sun 22-Dec-19 18:08:17

I have to take a cup of coffee into the cinema to try keep me awake when the lights go down! My DH has often elbowed me even then! So embarrassing. ?

OldJoints Sun 22-Dec-19 17:41:58

Thanks for the advice people. To answer a few questions though. I go to bed between 10/11pm I usually get 6-8 hours uninterrupted sleep a night. I sleep soundly and never feel tired when I get up at 7am. I'm a healthy weight and don't have any other medical conditions. My main concern is the suddenness of nodding off. I've always taken naps, but I know when I'm taking them. Now it's like somebody claps their hands and I'm out like a light. Hence why I didn't put my cup of tea down, preventing the wet lap lol. B12 deficiency sounds most probable. I'll definitely get myself checked out with the doctor. If anyone has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them smile

jusnoneed Sun 22-Dec-19 08:58:08

My OH can drop off to sleep as soon as he sits down, any time of the day! Been like it for years.
He can be reading or watching the telly and I just watch his head gradually go down/up/down/up and then he's zzzzzzzzz. The book gets dropped, picked up and dropped again and we always joke that he has to watch a film at least three times to see all of it lol.
I do find it annoying when he puts footie or F1 on the telly and then goes to sleep within five minutes of it starting.

Greenfinch Sun 22-Dec-19 08:55:43

Maybe those who are saying not to worry are trying to be kind but I am with MOnica and others who urge you to get it checked out.It wasn't until I needed an operation that I mentioned that I had a problem.Indeed it was so severe that I couldn't have a general anaesthetic and had to have a spinal.I now have a CPAP which I am trying to get used to. Mention it to the doctor.It isn't the end of the world.