Gransnet forums

Chat

Light hearted post, Clocks and Watches

(87 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 22-Dec-19 07:49:33

My DH thinks I have a clock obsession as I have 9 in a 4 bed home, I also wear a watch, I’m interested in to know if anyone else is like me,and would feel naked if going out without wearing a watch, I’ve noticed that very few youngsters wear watches anymore and rely on their phones for the time

Jaycee5 Sun 22-Dec-19 10:28:51

I watched a Ted Talk by Sir Ken Robinson recently and he asked the audience how many people were wearing watches. He then pointed out the age of people wearing them and said that his teenage children look at him like he is deranged when he asked them that and asked him why anyone would use a single function device.
His talks are very funny and worth listening to.

dragonfly46 Sun 22-Dec-19 10:31:14

I am afraid I have an Apple watch which measures just about everything including the time. It also lets me know when my phone is ringing or I get a text.

Juicylucy Sun 22-Dec-19 10:38:50

One clock downstairs one upstairs, and no watch anymore I never replaced it when it broke.I use my phone for the time day/ night.
Sign of the times.

GoldenAge Sun 22-Dec-19 10:52:36

I have no clock in my home other than the timer on my cooker and the time as it appears on phones and computers etc. However, this isn't a feature of the technological age as I took my watch off on holiday one Easter 36 years ago when I was in a fascinating part of the world and wanting to absorb it all without time invading. I never put the watch back on and I've never missed it but I do check on my phone now. I never did then though and I'm wondering how I kept track of time - must have relied on those around me.

FC61 Sun 22-Dec-19 10:56:27

I haven’t worn a watch for 15 years. I like the feeling I’ve got lots of time and ‘watching’ the time drain away freaks me out. Funny because people ask me how do I get anything done ( ie am I lazy?) and when I reel off what I’ve done it’s flabbergasts them ! This year for starters I bought a house, ran three properties in three different countries, ran a business, wrote a book, read a book most weeks, and took 11 flights. But it’s probably more to do with not having a tv than not having a watch. Who knows.

Davida1968 Sun 22-Dec-19 11:00:43

Just counted and we've five "proper" clocks, plus two on appliances in the kitchen, three within radios, one on the Humax, and we both wear watches. And DH will still ask me "what's the time?"!!

LadyGracie Sun 22-Dec-19 11:06:24

Kitchen - 4, wall, oven, microwave, phone.
Office - 1
Hall - 2, wall, thermostat
Living room - 4, wall, phone, bose, clock with balls
Bathroom - 1
Main Bedroom - 4, alarm clock x 3, phone.

We also have innumerable watches, I wear one all the time.
DH collects antique working watches.

He's also a wood turner and made clocks for a while, so a couple of those about too. Plus clocks on phones and tablets.

Greciangirl Sun 22-Dec-19 11:13:00

Same here, must be able to see the time at all times.

I have a mantelpiece clock and one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom.

That’s about it. Always wear a wristwatch when going out as need to know when to catch the bus.
I very rarely look at phone or iPad for the time.

jenni123 Sun 22-Dec-19 11:16:56

I collect unusual clocks, takes me ages when the clocks change twice a year. I even have one in the bathroom, one in the (small) hallway, 3 in the kitchen. I live in a very small one bedroom sheltered flat for the disabled. I think I have 3 in the bedroom and about 9 in the lounge. I own maybe 4 or 5 watches but never wear one. Plus of course there is the clock in my mobile phone, a clock on the land line and one in the computer.

vickya Sun 22-Dec-19 11:26:15

Apparently Swatch are bout to go bankrupt because people no longer buy watches. As they sell light ones that I like I am hoping for a good closing down sale to stock up in.

threexnanny Sun 22-Dec-19 11:47:28

We have clocks in almost every room too. I'm not good at estimating the time so need a watch to check when my car park ticket expires.
I've noticed Fiona Bruce wears a nice watch on Antiques Road Show so I assume some people see it as a fashion statement.
Never been to NZ but I seem to remember a clock museum on the Isle of Wight many years ago.

henetha Sun 22-Dec-19 11:54:56

Same here, TrendyNannie. I've worn a watch every day since my tenth birthday when I was given a pretty little silver one by my father.
Many watches have come and gone since then, but at present I have six. I feel naked without a watch, even though I have a smart phone which gives a more accurate time, I still love my watches.
And every roon in this house has at least one clock.
I've still got the original silver watch and wear it sometimes.

inishowen Sun 22-Dec-19 11:59:14

I've stopped wearing a watch. Sad really but I just look at my phone.

Jaqui1 Sun 22-Dec-19 12:00:54

Clock radio beside husbands side of the bed. He has it at an angle I cant see it. When I go to bed I turn it so I can see the time from my side of the bed. Despite many offers of buying him a watch, husband has always refused to wear one, he is anal about time though, and never late. He now relies on his phone to check the time but previously was always on time just guesstimating. He bought me a beautiful designer watch years ago but it no longer works and is far too expensive to repair sadly. I have bought myself three or four funky modern watches which I alternate wearing but apart from the oven and bedside clock radio, no clocks in the house. Fun post.

Diggingdoris Sun 22-Dec-19 12:08:14

It's a generation thing now isn't it? We have a clock in all downstairs rooms including hallway, and one in bedroom. I always wear a watch on left wrist and Fitbit on right wrist.
All my adult children have lovely watches but rely on their phones for timekeeping, as they seem to be glued to their hands permanently!

4allweknow Sun 22-Dec-19 12:16:50

Had a beautiful gold with gold bracelet watch given for 21st as was the tradition in bygone days. After 51 years of wear used the value of gold to have engagement ring reset in platinum and gold as it had become very thin. Still have a reasonable watch I never wear but do wear day and night a cheap waterproof and luminous Timex watch. Only clock is the one on oven.

Beanie654321 Sun 22-Dec-19 12:18:55

TrendyNanny6 for the past 40 years I have been subject to time keeping, just retired from working as a nursing Sister, so for me I dont wear a watch. Its wonderful being able to go places and wander around, I stead of time keeping to ensure every thing gets done. I have clocks in the house and watches to wear, but for me the peaceful slow life is the best. Xx

Theoddbird Sun 22-Dec-19 12:38:14

I don't possess a clock or a watch...

Lindaylou55 Sun 22-Dec-19 12:52:11

Trendynannie6 I did think that 9 clocks was too many, till I counted how many we have in a 4 bedroom house. We have 10! 2 of which don't work, but one was a present and one is a grandmother clock my husband bought me on the birth of my 1st grandson, so they will both be here till I'm not, 3 others are in bedrooms and only switched on when there are family staying.

Dareyouto Sun 22-Dec-19 12:52:51

It’s the same for me as it was my father. Unless the watch was expensive it just wouldn’t work. I’ve found over the years that a rotary watch was perfect for me but my DD bought me a Fitbit which I find also works, so I’m good.
Before I retired I worked in a high tech environment and found at times just my mere presence could cause chaos with the equipment. The thing that still puzzles me to this day was trying to access various computer set ups for various functions and my passwords being rejected on all of them. After several hours work by an engineer it was discovered no matter how many times I changed my passwords the systems were only recognising consonants and not the vowels. Weird? Spooky?
They must have been secretly pleased when I retired!

Mollygo Sun 22-Dec-19 13:22:59

We have a clock in every room except the spare bedroom and the kitchen, although there the microwave has a digital clock on it. I always wore a watch but I love my Apple Watch - I have my grandchildren’s pictures on it or with a quick press, Micky or Minnie Mouse will say the time to me.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 22-Dec-19 13:25:30

I like to wear a watch and feel strange without one. I know they're considered old-fashioned but I don't mind.

AllTheLs Sun 22-Dec-19 13:33:20

Even though my 'internal' clock is pretty accurate, I would feel lost without my watch. As well as clocks. I got annoyed when hubby put a Christmas card in front of the living room clock, obscuring the time.

Have an obsession with calenders, too. Three new ones every year and I look forward to opening them all up on New Year's Day and hanging them on the walls. I get the prettiest I can find.

Disneyfan Sun 22-Dec-19 14:10:24

I haven't worn a watch for years as worked in the NHS with "bare below the elbows" rule. Having just retired, I'm hoping to have one for Christmas. Hints have been dropped.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 22-Dec-19 15:07:15

I have three clocks in my kitchen. One set at gmt, one showing time four thousand miles away where younger members of my family live ,The fourth one I use as an alarm for if I am busy and want to watch something on TV so set it as a reminder a certain programme is to start. I was recently questioned by a visitor, why three clocks,? none of their business, but found myself giving reasons.No words but the look I received ? 'must be her age'.