Gransnet forums

Chat

Light hearted post, Clocks and Watches

(87 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 22-Dec-19 07:49:33

My DH thinks I have a clock obsession as I have 9 in a 4 bed home, I also wear a watch, I’m interested in to know if anyone else is like me,and would feel naked if going out without wearing a watch, I’ve noticed that very few youngsters wear watches anymore and rely on their phones for the time

Cabbie21 Sun 22-Dec-19 21:53:37

Too many clocks to count! DH has an obsession.
Some are digital, on the oven, microwave, Bose, clock radios etc, four are carriage clocks, one of which chimes, plus two mantelpiece clocks in traditional wooden cases. Oh and a wall clock in the kitchen as well. Nothing in the bathroom. DH has four good vintage watches, I have two cheap ones which I wear alternately.
I only use my phone to check the time if there is no alternative. It just doesn’t normally occur to me.
Oh and we have a barometer as well. How old- fashioned is that?

grannyactivist Sun 22-Dec-19 22:43:57

I worked for a solicitor who had an extensive clock collection. He later became a judge, but was a nasty man who would have been found guilty of sexual harassment if he'd still been around today. He comes straight to mind whenever anyone mentions clock collections.

I have one clock, in my kitchen and a carriage clock that I never look at in my dining room (it was a leaving gift from lovely church friends when I moved from Manchester in 1994). I wear a watch given to me as a birthday gift many years ago - I'd be lost without it.

Bluebird64 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:03:25

Aw I've never yet found a watch that doesn't irritate my wrist...but I cycle everywhere and it's awkward when you need to know the time and your phone's in your backpack!

Marmight Tue 24-Dec-19 08:34:36

⏱. I only wear a watch when flying to Oz so I can keep up with time travel! I have a box full of ex watches including one which my late husband gave me on our wedding day. I just don’t feel comfortable wearing one and inevitably forget to remove before going in the shower/bath. I have a clock in every room and otherwise use my phone. I inherited 2 grandfather clocks but couldn't stand the dinging and donging! One which was my husbands, went with DD3 to Australia the other, my parents, I gave to their very good neighbour as thanks for his help over the years. My Mum always said I was obsessed with the time, continually asking. I had a bad head injury as an 11 year old and apparently the last thing I’d asked her before becoming unconscious was the time! So once recovered it became something I repeated - often. Still do 60 years on grin

Harris27 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:41:16

Always wear a watch and my late mil had her watch on always even though she hadn’t worked all her married life she always liked to do things by the clock! I would feel naked without one but a girl I work with never wears one! Do you think it’s an age thing? And why when you retire do they give you a clock?

Harris27 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:47:00

I wear a watch everyday to work but a girl I work with never wears one she’s younger than me so is it an age thing? My late mil used to wear a watch always even though she’d never worked since getting married! She never really had to be anywhere but did everything by the clock!

Harris27 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:47:45

Sorry I wrote one and it disappeared so did another! Gremlins!

Saggi Tue 24-Dec-19 09:07:41

One in kitchen ... although not necessary as have clock display on oven and microwave..... have one in sitting room... again not really needed as there is display on tv ( and my hubby never turns that off). That’s it ..two clocks. I do wear a watch but the annoy me as I have the skinniest wrist and always have to punch an extra hole in the wristband . ... so tend to use my phone while out. My daughter does not have a clock at all... neither is there one in my son in laws house. But surely clocks are now about more than just telling time.... some people like them as decoration/ ornament.

Oopsminty Tue 24-Dec-19 09:10:39

I've never worn a watch.

They just annoy me

Clocks in most rooms

But my phone is what I mainly use to tell the time

melp1 Wed 25-Dec-19 22:39:18

I wear a watch & have a clock in every room of a 3 bed house. Still often late though grin

FarNorth Wed 25-Dec-19 23:20:12

I have 3 clocks and no watches.
I use my phone as an alarm clock.

I stopped wearing a watch long before mobile phones were usual and I just got used to estimating time and checking on public clocks, if necessary.