Gransnet forums

Chat

Universal Credit anyone?

(11 Posts)
Daddima Tue 24-Dec-19 14:02:32

Now I don’t know if this would apply to anyone on here, or even if it’s true, but it may interest some of your families and friends.

Allegedly you can apply , as long as you -

Are paid early for Christmas, meaning you have at least one full calendar month where a wage doesn't hit your account. If you have a partner then they must have the same

Don’thave over £16k in savings

Are not getting tax credits, housing benefit, or any of the other four benefits universal credit replaces.

If you meet all of these you simply make a claim online on a date that ensures a month you are wage free.

For example, you usually get paid on the 28th but in December you get it on the 22nd. If you claim on the 24th your fixed period runs from the 24th December to the 23rd jan during which you have no wage.

The reason this works is universal credit operates on a fixed month basis calculated on when you receive the money rather than the fact you were working.

Cabbie21 Tue 24-Dec-19 15:47:45

But UC does not give a payment for 5 weeks, by which time, in this scenario, a further wage may have been received, which might make you ineligible.
Not quite sure what point is being made here.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 24-Dec-19 15:52:58

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50885242

Not as easy as it sounds, because you then get months where you are paid twice if paid calendar monthly, which screws everything up because you then get NOTHNG! Deliberate ploy by the DWP, brought up in the High Court and they lost - anything changed - NO!

oldgimmer1 Tue 24-Dec-19 16:16:14

What's your source, daddima?

oldgimmer1 Tue 24-Dec-19 18:19:35

I think it's technically possible given the OP's scenario.

As long as the assessment period falls within your previous payment and your next payment, and that you are able to demonstrate that you have no other source of income during said period, you may be entitled to something!

I think it's worth a go. You'd need to apply pretty sharpish, get your interview with the JCO and your claimant commitment up and running asap, then once you've got your money, close your claim immediately.

Your claimant committment will involve looking for work, though, probably for 35 hours per week, so I don't know how you'd manage that if you're actually working!

To the poster above - I believe that's incorrect - it's no longer possible to be paid more than 12 times a year on UC as it's now paid calendar monthly, not 4-weekly (which would have meant 13 payments over 12 assessment periods meaning that in one period you'd be paid more than once).

Daddima Tue 24-Dec-19 19:08:56

Oldgimmer, I saw a post on another forum. I’m not sure how UC works ( just not very well, if you believe what you read), that’s why I said it may not even be true!

Doodledog Tue 24-Dec-19 19:25:14

I know that a friend of mine is carer for her husband, who is disabled. They are in receipt of UC because, although my friend works, her husband cannot, because of his disability.

My friend was paid early for Christmas, and as a result they had two pay cheques in a month, and have lost the UC. Not only that, they have to reapply in January, and wait five weeks after the application to get it. Apart from the money they will lose, this will mean another day off work for my friend, who has to accompany her husband for the interview.

I'm not sure of the point of the OP, but if it is to suggest that Universal Credit is some sort of gravy train, then I can assure the OP that it is not. There may be anomalies in the system (I have never claimed it so don't know); but for decent people like my friend and her husband, it is a cruel and barbaric system that punishes people for being ill or disabled.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 24-Dec-19 19:50:02

Doodlenburg I totally agree with your post, you are living on a knife edge with UC and you don't need this is you are a carer or disabled.

My daughter for whom I have POA is on benefits and at some time will go onto UC. I have been paying extra on top of her bedroom tax to build up a credit. I have also managed to save a bit to try and help her over he period with no money. It is a totally unjust system inflicted on those in need by those who have it all. Shame on them. And don't get me started on the bedroom tax which amounts to around £13 per week on someone who receives £136 per week. A 10% tax.

oldgimmer1 Tue 24-Dec-19 21:45:45

I agree it can be cruel. It's particularly cruel, in my opinion, for those who have no health conditions.

For those that DO have health conditions, it's also cruel because of the hoops people have to jump through to prove they're not fit for work.

Having said that, UC is meant to emulate work and, as such, I suppose it could be said that those who are in work DO have to wait up to five weeks for their first paycheque and have to plan for times when there's no payment.

I work with people on UC and they are always advised to plan ahead for it. Most don't.

oldgimmer1 Tue 24-Dec-19 21:48:50

doodledog I think your friends should challenge that decision. Maybe approach CAB or similar organisation for support?

Doodledog Tue 24-Dec-19 23:29:15

People in work have to budget over Christmas, as most people get December's pay a week or so early, depending on where Christmas falls; but they don't lose a month's pay and then have to wait for another five weeks when they are already on a low income.

Thanks, oldgimmer1. I don't know if they have challenged it, or whether my friend has the strength just now - she has (temporary, she hopes) health problems of her own, and the stress of all this is not helping.