Gransnet forums

Chat

Bit early, but very welcome....

(22 Posts)
LullyDully Fri 03-Jan-20 13:53:52

And they had primroses at Hillier Gardens

Pagzy Thu 02-Jan-20 17:09:40

This has prompted me to investigate my hellebore by torchlight and yes lots of flowers ready to open. Looks like it will be the best display so far this year.

LullyDully Thu 02-Jan-20 17:02:54

I just saw snowdrops in Hillier Gardens. They lifted my heart with the hellibores and the colourful dog woods.

annodomini Tue 31-Dec-19 09:22:28

My snowdrops look almost ready to bloom. Last year, they flowered in January.
LullyDully , what a great price for Amaryllis! I got one a few months ago and there are now four flowers in full bloom with three more to come. I hope to be able to preserve it for next year.

LullyDully Tue 31-Dec-19 08:32:57

Yes my bulbs are coming up too, a few inches high. The hellibores are also in bud, I love them in the winter. My brother in law from Norway was amazed as they don't even plant their bulbs until Spring because of the permafrost.

No one gave me an amarylis this year but I bought 2 yesterday in Tescos for about 68p each.....bargain.

BradfordLass72 Tue 31-Dec-19 06:26:31

My Yorkshire Auntie Minnie, a keen gardener, grew Christmas Roses which I believe are Hellebores.

They always flowered for Christmas.

ScotinOz Tue 31-Dec-19 04:00:42

B9exchange we are going on the same trip. Cruise round South America and then cruise to Antarctica.
Wouldn't it be funny if we were on the same Antartica cruise ??

Also funded by a inheritance!!

Baggs Mon 30-Dec-19 20:07:12

I usually see leaf points of daffodils and snowdrops in our garden in December. None this year.

I think certain micro-climatic conditions can influence very early primrose flowering. We have one that's been flowering for several weeks. Only one out of hundreds though.

Hetty58 Mon 30-Dec-19 19:56:29

Lots of tulips emerging here but I'm worried that the next cold snap could ruin them.

Auntieflo Mon 30-Dec-19 19:51:08

Lisagran, beautiful hellebores, and thank you for posting the pictures. You arrange them so prettily.

craftyone Mon 30-Dec-19 19:51:02

I hoed my garden today, tulips are coming up, hellebores picking up and starting to flower, sedums are sending shoots out, dwarf honeysuckle is leafing and there were zillions of weedlets. Spring is not too far away grin

silverlining48 Mon 30-Dec-19 19:47:01

We have had clumps of snowdrops in flower fir a few weeks now.

M0nica Mon 30-Dec-19 19:39:20

A wild primrose in the garden started flowering in early November. It has now been joined by a second clump. Far too early.

I have yet to stop gardening for the winter, the grass and weeds are still growing. I look forward to the winter rest period as an opportunity to do some interior decoration. Doesn't look as if I will have time this winter.

CanadianGran Mon 30-Dec-19 19:38:29

I'll admit I didn't much like them when I first saw them, but I just googled 'hellebores in bouquet' and am amazed at the different varieties.

Perhaps I should re-think and plant some for next year. Lisagran, yours are lovely.

lemongrove Mon 30-Dec-19 19:12:32

Beautiful Lisa ?
Must go down the garden to try and spot ours, have been too busy to check the garden recently, and they are hard to see at the best of times ( with their heads down).I did look out and see a yellow/ peach primrose was flowering.No snow drops yet, not cold enough?

Lisagran Mon 30-Dec-19 19:05:55

I tend to think of Hellebores coming out in mid January Kitty, but it must vary according to the region, etc. Last year it was Jan 15 this one was out, with the snowdrops

kittylester Mon 30-Dec-19 17:17:19

I dont think that is particularly early. Mil always had some inside at Christmas in a little vase. Mine have been out for a while. I love it!

Grammaretto Mon 30-Dec-19 15:33:51

That is early! But very pretty. Maybe there are some here too....
I have just retrieved a wet towel which blew across the lawn in yesterday's gale.

B9exchange Mon 30-Dec-19 15:26:02

What a beautiful hellebore, I never have any luck with those. We are off to South America and Antarctica in January (I know, I know, but we were unexpectedly left some money and have taken the opportunity for a lifetime trip, wish we could take you all with us!) but by the time we get back we will have missed a lot of the spring bulbs, one of my favourite times of year.

Scribbles Mon 30-Dec-19 15:21:18

Gave me a smile, too, Lisa. I'm eagerly waiting for mine but it's usually about 10-14 days into January before they appear.

tanith Mon 30-Dec-19 15:20:01

That’s so pretty, I have crocus and daff bulbs coming up.

Lisagran Mon 30-Dec-19 14:11:00

Been pottering in the garden today, as it’s a lovely bright day here. Noticed lots of shoots of bulbs,etc. coming up - always a cheerful sight smile. Then noticed that this Hellebore had already flowered - made me smile!