Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning New Years Eve

(66 Posts)
12Michael Tue 31-Dec-19 06:12:19

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but dry here in Brackley this morning, usually we get early morning mist.
Anyway, house work beckons this morning, before I go off to Bicester and Buckingham for usual coffee stops and shops.
Mick

Pagzy Wed 01-Jan-20 11:43:07

Happy New Decade to all and Good Morning from a bright and sunny West Yorkshire.
Going to visit son, partner and grandson this afternoon. They were away at other grannies for Christmas.

Bestgranny Tue 31-Dec-19 19:56:48

Good morning all , from sunny California, yeah it’s still morning here, we will have a FaceTime with DS & Dil in Ireland @ 4 o’clock the grandchildren will be in bed , so we’ll just share a drink with the adults @ 12/ oc . After that we have a few friends coming for nice bite to eat & drinks ?
I would like to wish my new virtual friends good health , happiness & all that’s good for 2020 .

JeannieB44 Tue 31-Dec-19 12:33:10

Happy New Year from murky Sussex. Only joined gransnet recently but love it, long may it continue. Quiet day for me and hubby today. Thinking of going to our little local cinema this afternoon and then evening at home suits us fine. Whatever your plans are can I wish you all a very Happy New Year and may 2020 look kindly on us all. Good job I checked as auto correct had written kinky instead of kindly now that would be a whole different 2020

Auntieflo Tue 31-Dec-19 12:31:48

A late Good Afternoon from me. To Michael, Annie, and all, whose posts I enjoy most days.
We popped into town this morning, DH for a meeting and me to see if the Charity shop is to be open this afternoon. It was, so I stayed and had a coffee, then did a bit of tidying up, as I shan't be there this afternoon.
Our granddaughter is visiting tomorrow, with our beautiful great granddaughter, and her partner. Looking forward to seeing them all, as they do not live close enough to visit often, so a precious time.
We shall have a quiet time this evening, fireworks permitting.

Here's wishing everyone a very Happy and Peaceful New Year, and to all those who have had problems, health or otherwise,
Here's hoping 2020 will be kinder to you all.
Thank you to Gillybob, for finding the time to keep us updated on the progress of her DH, and that soon he will be back to his old self.

CaroleAnne Tue 31-Dec-19 12:15:38

Good afternoon everyone from a cloudy but dry Warminster.
We have had a skype session with our daughter and family in Austalia so feel very happy. The temperature there up the coast from Sydney has been almost 40 degrees. So sad about the bush fires with both humans and wild life suffering.
We are having a quiet night at home with drinks and a few eats to see the new year in.
Wishing everyone on this forum a very happy healthy peaceful new year. For those who are unwell or sad I hope that 2020 will be kinder to you.xflowersvxwine

Daisyboots Tue 31-Dec-19 12:08:15

A laye good morning from a sunny and mild Portugal. It was interesting to read about the 12 grapes at minute in Spain. Here it is 12 sultanas one for each stroke of the church clock at midnight. Ever since we moved here 12 years ago we have been invited to our small village "passo do ano" dinner. It rotates between 3 houses annually and according to which house it is a group of people prepare and cook the meal. There is dinner at 7.30pm following by virtually another meal at midnight. New Years day evening they go back to finish the left overs. The costs are all added together and divided up between all the participants and each pays their share. They have always made up very welcome but last year and this year I am not well enough to go.
Here you can only buy and let off fireworks if you have a licence so there isnt the free for all of fireworks going off everywhere. If we are still awake we may get up and watch the village fireworks being let off up at the church from our roof terrace.
I wish everyone a good 2020 and hopefully a much better year for those who have been suffering in 2019.

Mapleleaf Tue 31-Dec-19 12:06:19

Good morning all (just)

Wishing you all a very happy New Year. Let's hope for a settled 2020.

It's a lovely day here so far. We've no plans for this evening, will probably just see the New Year in quietly. I'm waiting fir the piece of brisket to defrost so it can go in the slow pot, but at this rate we'll be eating it tomorrow as the middle just won't defrost despite the help of the microwave!

To all unwell, I hope you soon feel better, and to those of you with worries and concerns, I do hope the coming year will bring some improvement for you.

GrannySomerset Tue 31-Dec-19 12:04:49

Just about squeezing in to the good morning thread after a busy few hours undecorating and putting away Christmas treasures. I fancy starting the new year with a clean slate and have even cleaned and disinfected the bird feeders so there will be much sulking until normal service is resumed for our feathered pensioners.

Wishing all GNers a good 2020. My hopes are low key, for things to be no worse; for Gilly in particular I hope life gets easier, and for all those struggling I hope for support and understanding.

Nortsat46 Tue 31-Dec-19 11:22:13

Good morning Mick and the GM team of readers and posters.
A grey day in east London. A few bits of organising and cooking prep for me today. Then we are going out for dinner and to see in the New Year.

Sending all good wishes to the Gillybobs, Marydoll, Dragonfly, annsixty and Susan56 and of course all posters and readers of Micks lovely thread. Wishing us all a happy, peaceful and positive New Year - ‘lets hope it’s a good one, without any fear’.

My nephew posted the following sage advice on FB ... which I recommend we all follow: Before the clock strikes midnight on December 31st, be sure to lift your left leg. That way you’ll start the New Year, on the right foot. ??

vena11 Tue 31-Dec-19 11:06:16

Good morning from a dull Bristol, late in today because Dgs has kept me busy. Dh hospital app this morning urology, was clear last appointment hoping for the same fingers and toes are crossed. I wish everyone A guid New Year and Lang may Yur lum Reak.

NannyJan53 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:39:53

Laurensnan grin

Going to Iceland is on my bucket list!

Susan56 glad you are on the mend, but how awful that you couldn't get the help when you needed it!

gillybob wishing you a much better New Year flowers

Annsixty flowers

weenanni59 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:37:40

Good morning and happy Hogmanay to you all from sunny Spain ?
Nice to be here for a few days , at least we see some sun ... west of Scotland was very grey when we left it xx

NemosMum Tue 31-Dec-19 10:30:08

Good Morning from a clear and very frosty Newcastle. It was -2C at Eight o'Clock. I'm making pudding for tomorrow's New Year's Day feast at my elder daughter's house. Will be tucked up in bed by midnight. New Year's Day was always a bigger celebration in our family than NYE. Younger daughter (39) has just come around to thinking she'd rather not start the NY with a hangover. Whether her partner will agree or not I don't know - he's Glaswegian!

crazyH Tue 31-Dec-19 10:26:57

Goodmorning NYE to Michael and all! I'm getting ready to go with my son and his family to Bracknell to bring in 2020. Have a good year everyone !!

Nannylovesshopping Tue 31-Dec-19 10:25:13

Gillybob am so hoping 2020 is a better year for you and your family, if only I had a magic wand, you are an amazing woman just getting on with life, you are a ?

Laurensnan Tue 31-Dec-19 10:21:32

Good morning from Kent. It's miserable grey skies but it doesn't matter to me as in 1 hour I'm leaving for a magical short break to Iceland. Snow and cosy times together in a romantic hotel while eating a breakfast buffet overlooking the scenery. A treat from my husband for all the wonderful things I do for him. He told me last night! Well his exact words were 'shall we go to Wheatherspoons for breakfast tomorrow then pop to Iceland to see if they have the cheesy balls back in stock?' At least I'm going out I suppose ?

Patticake123 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:20:36

Good morning from Southampton. Cloudy and bit misty at the moment also a bit chillier than yesterday. Enjoy the final day of the year and I wish you and everyone on Gransnet a happy, healthy and prosperous 2020.?

EllanVannin Tue 31-Dec-19 10:18:50

Good Morning All x.
A little breezy and dull here but dry with no frost.

Well the GP visit yesterday was a waste of time ! I was signed up for the usual blood-test which I'd already said had been extensively tested in hospital just over a couple of weeks ago to which nothing untoward had been found.

Then I was given a prescription to increase the Bisoprolol so I duly went along to the chemist to pick it up and came home. A while later I decided to get the tablets out of the bag and-------they were 1.25mg !
Because I could feel something not right with myself, I didn't bother going back to the chemist and instead dosed myself with paracetamol.

During the course of yesterday I'd developed a cough that would waken the dead, it's chronic, so I threw a spoonful of honey down my neck and drank as much water as I could. It's obviously a chest infection as every part of me is aching yet my stomach's rumbling with hunger ? Chicken soup today.

Anyway I had to phone the surgery this morning to cancel the blood test so I doubt I'll even bother with another.
I must pull myself together as the cats are running out of food so I'll replenish it locally as I don't need any shopping as such.

Good job there's nothing arranged for tonight as I wouldn't make it anyway.
Blimey, what a miserable post ! I don't even envisage anything better for next year either with the problems with GD and her brood, Lord knows what's going to happen there. I can do without it that's for sure.

I hope everyone else's 2020 shows some improvement x
Thinking of those who aren't so grand too and Gillybob you have all my sympathy, believe me xx.

Hope Marydoll and Dragonfly start their New Year on the right foot, healthwise.x Everyone else enjoy your evening whatever you do, or don't do.

Megs36 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:02:18

Happy and healthy New Year to everyone, and also thinking of Rufus in Oz and hoping you and yours are safe.

Susan56 Tue 31-Dec-19 10:01:45

gilly ?x

Chrissielou Tue 31-Dec-19 09:56:50

A murky chilly morning in Oxfordshire, the pheasants are screeching, perhaps there's a shoot nearby, I saw and heard the barn owl this morning, it lives close by our little cottage. I wish you all a happy, healthy 2020, there are years for which I have been glad to leave behind, but I hope the new year brings hope for all those who are fearful, struggling or lonely. This is such a gentle and supportive group, I dont often contribute, but always enjoy reading each day. Happy 2020!

conor Tue 31-Dec-19 09:56:19

Good morning from a very grey, misty Essex. Having a day at home today which is so unusual for me but so looking forward to it. Will catch up with housework and 'play' with my Xmas presents. A quiet night in tonight but will watch the fireworks on TV and pop a small bottle of prosecco. I wish everyone on GN a very happy and healthy 2020. Gillybobs post brought tears to my eyes and hope that?shines for her family next year xxxx

gillybob Tue 31-Dec-19 09:53:37

Oh how dreadful Susan56 . What on Earth did they think you should do then?

Not quite Welsh enough , not quite English enough ? How ridiculous .

I’m glad to hear you are both “on the mend” now, but what a shame you couldn’t get the help you needed when you needed it !

Thank you for your good wishes and the virtual champagne too . Here’s hoping for a better 2020 for all of us . xx

Susan56 Tue 31-Dec-19 09:45:41

Good morning from no mans land.
I say this as we have been very unwell since Christmas Day and on Saturday needed some medical advice.We Phoned 111 to be informed by recorded message that they do not accept calls from welsh patients so called the welsh emergency number to be told they don’t accept calls from English patients?‍♀️
We spoke to our dr yesterday who said we should have called an ambulance?‍♀️She gave us the advice we needed and although both still ill,we are on the mend.
Sorry for the moan.
Hope all unwell improve soon.
Sending good wishes to all for the New Year.
Sending virtual ??to you gilly.I really hope for a better 2020 for you and your dear husband.You are one amazing lady?

harrigran Tue 31-Dec-19 09:35:22

Good morning from a frosty NE.
I went shopping last night and the shelves were empty, struggled to find anything to stock the fridge.
Haven' t heard from family so I am assuming it will be just the two of us tonight.
Best wishes to all.