Gransnet forums

Chat

Old Year’s Day traditions

(26 Posts)
Brunette10 Tue 31-Dec-19 15:29:43

I was brought up with a tradition that on Old Year’s Day you made sure your house/home was spotless, you had clean sheets on the beds and your front door step was cleaned properly, your washing and ironing all up to date. I still do this, probably not as thorough as I did when I was young but I’ve always been proud of this tradition. Just wondered if any Grans had the same or similar traditions. Happy New Year??

Calendargirl Tue 31-Dec-19 15:48:04

No, I do nothing extra. We took the Christmas decorations down this morning, so I swept up the bits! It’s just another day really, another 365 days next year to clean and tidy.
I know where you’re coming from though, OP, and it must be very satisfying to start 2020 with a lovely clean home, but I am lazier than you I’m afraid!

ExD1938 Tue 31-Dec-19 15:56:23

I've never heard of that one but it sounds likely, like Calendargirl I'm just too lazy.
I do have another one though, and that's NOT to take down the decorations until Jan 6th (12th night) because its unlucky.
I have no idea where that came from.

Greenfinch Tue 31-Dec-19 16:27:37

And definitely no washing on New Year's Day or you will wash a member of the family away. I have done all mine today grin

lemongrove Tue 31-Dec-19 16:30:18

Never heard of that tradition.
As a child the family always did first footing and there would be extra things to eat and we stayed up, it was quite exciting.

rockgran Tue 31-Dec-19 16:36:58

Yes - an old Scottish tradition I think. Mum always made sure to tidy up and sweep the fireplace just before the clock struck. I've been cleaning all day but mainly because I have visitors arriving just after New Year!

DoraMarr Tue 31-Dec-19 16:40:14

My parents in law were Scots, and we usually visited them at Hogmanay, so I witnessed lots of traditions. My mother in law would clean the ( immaculate) house, cut her nails, and lay out a spread of sandwiches, buttered rolls, potted head, black bun and whisky for anyone passing through. She made the potted head and black bun before Christmas. My own family was an interesting mixture of Roman Catholic and Jewish, but we still cleaned the house and had a small celebration, including first-footing.

GrannySomerset Tue 31-Dec-19 16:48:33

Not aware of this cleaning tradition but did take down the tree etc because my cleaner was here and it made her job easier. Did a couple of loads of washing, polished the front door brass, and we are all set for the new year, apart from having lost my wallet and so spent time cancelling cards etc. Fed up doesn’t begin to describe it!

MissAdventure Tue 31-Dec-19 16:54:35

What's potted head, please?
Sounds gruesome!

BlueBelle Tue 31-Dec-19 16:54:52

No no cleaning for me
Decks coming down tomorrow had enough of them now

phoenix Tue 31-Dec-19 17:03:46

Oh heavens, will it all go awry if we take our decorations down on Sunday? tchconfused

We are both at work all day on Monday 6th, and will not be feeling inclined to do it when we come home!

Brunette10 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:06:29

MissAdventure, my mum always made this every New Year, think it’s beef shin boiled then it jellifies. It’s not nice to look at but it’s great on a sandwich.?

DoraMarr Tue 31-Dec-19 17:07:44

Sorry, tablet autocorrected potted head, it should be potted heid. Although, that does mean potted head. It’s like brawn- bits of meat set in marrowbone jelly. I’m not a fan.
Black bun is like Christmas pudding wrapped in very thin pastry and baked, I think. Again....

Brunette10 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:09:13

Potted Heid

MissAdventure Tue 31-Dec-19 17:09:29

Ah, thank you both. smile
Nowhere near as bad as it sounds.
Black bun sounds nice.

conor Tue 31-Dec-19 17:15:44

I always do the same as like to start the New Year with a 'clean slate' xxx

jane1956 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:19:56

we still put out coins and wood to bring in tomorrow. Stopped putting a bottle (alcohol) when we stopped drinking. Mil was from Glasgow, so mu husband carried on the tradition.

Charleygirl5 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:27:41

Brunette it is definitely an old Scottish tradition. I normally do it but this year because of the lurgy I am not up to it.

I used to love potted heid on toast but I am not a fan of black bun. We had both in abundance in my family. I do not remember black bun being wrapped in pastry - for me it was too stodgy.

I do miss a decent black pudding and I used to love white pudding. The latter is unheard of in London.

sodapop Tue 31-Dec-19 17:29:13

Yes I've just cleared my pile of ironing and vacuumed everywhere in readiness for NY Day.
Nice peaceful day tomorrow and the new oven up and running so mince pies on the menu,
Lovely.

Brunette10 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:35:12

Charleygirl5 Yes we also love a white pudding however here in Fife and I think I'm safe in saying this we also have red pudding which was invented I believe here. I may be wrong so please don't anyone shoot me wink

Maggiemaybe Tue 31-Dec-19 18:01:32

I used to do a thorough house clean, but now it's down to just changing the bed and towels on NYE. The decorations are staying up till Sunday (we have a full day with two of the grandsons on Monday, but I'll leave a decoration or two up to take down when we get home, for tradition's sake).

We're off out soon to our friends' house (in fact, I'd better get off the internet now and go and get ready!), and we'll have the little first-footing bag with us for DH to carry in when we get home in the early hours. A scrap of bread, a shiny £ coin, a pinch of salt in foil, and a couple of matchsticks to replace the coal we used to put in. And he'll have a bottle of whisky in his pocket.

All I have to remember now is not to push in in front of him.... grin

JackyB Tue 31-Dec-19 18:43:26

It’s just another day really, another 365 days next year to clean and tidy.

Ahem - actually, next year has 366 days.

Sorry - (takes pedant's hat off)

blush

Calendargirl Tue 31-Dec-19 18:47:00

JackyB

It occurred to me after I’d posted that 2020 will be Leap Year!
Oh well, one extra day to clean the house!

Grannmarie Tue 31-Dec-19 21:01:36

Happy New Year, Brunette10 and all
Gransnetters!
Yes, I keep the old traditions of house cleaning, also my Nanna used to say we had to empty every bin in the house, and the contents of the Hoover, so that there was no old rubbish in the house.
First footing always involved drink, food, usually some bun, and a lump of coal.
Our local Lidl has been providing lumps of coal beyond the check outs for first footers, foc, nice gesture!

MollyPolly60 Wed 01-Jan-20 02:36:52

Same here. Bed changed, towels changed, all dishes clean, floors washed, everything lying out has been put away.

Where do you get red pudding I haven’t been able to get that for years. Got the black and white in.