Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning New Years Day

(78 Posts)
12Michael Wed 01-Jan-20 06:14:00

A Happy New Year to everyone, and a Good Morning.
Its dark but its dry here in Brackley , retired early last night, but was woken by fireworks later.
Today , easy day change calendars, all xmas present to 2020 ones also compact planner wall chart .
Shall not do a great deal , apart from phone calls to sister.
mick

janzicb1 Thu 02-Jan-20 10:50:39

It is so uplifting to see that your lives are getting back to normal and your darling is eating well. After such a long horrible time at the hospital bring at home I’m sure will speed his recovery ! I hope the coming year proves happier and healthier for you both and everyone on this site x

Feelingmyage55 Wed 01-Jan-20 17:54:03

Happy New Year to all. I am late as lots of visitors. We had a lovely clear evening to enjoy the fireworks. Wishing you all a calm and healthy year.

crazyfam Wed 01-Jan-20 16:42:56

happy new year all. A bit late but i keep myself busy till after 4pm every day and another day gone. I have not heard from any of my family . 3 of them. I have not fallen out with any of them. They just do not care. I had a message from a friend .

52bright Wed 01-Jan-20 14:38:42

Happy New Year to you all from a beautiful bright cold and crisp Newcastle Upon Tyne. Having a very lazy day today after seeing the new year in with lovely long standing friends.

Every year we see the new year in with 2 couples who are our greatest friends. Sometimes we go away somewhere together but more often we have dinner in one our homes.

It works like this. The person whose house the meal is in makes the main course. The other two couples each bring either starter or desert. We all bring wine. The host couple drive us to their home and we get a taxi back home. Wonderful night. Great food and great company and not too onerous on anyone as we all only make one course. Taxi ordered and came promptly at 1.00 a.m.

We are so grateful to have such lovely friends. We are all getting older now with various health problems and personal sadnesses with family losses ext throughout the year but new year's eve we try to put everything aside and just enjoy each other. Long may it continue.

I do wish all Gransnetters 'all the best' as we say here in the North East. Thank you for all you share through out the year. I don't post as much as some but I have benefitted from gransnet humour and wisdom by reading so many thoughtful posts when I check in most days. flowers

Scentia Wed 01-Jan-20 13:49:10

Good Afternoon to all!!
Bit late this morning after a night out last night. We had a good time with our friends but we were surprised at how quiet town was, some pubs we went to were closed before midnight?
Back to work tomorrow so having a right lazy day today watching rubbish films on TV and entertaining DD, DSiL and our beautiful GS this afternoon. I am sure they won’t mind making their own cups of tea and I did ask DSiL to bring his tool box as I have a few bits for him to look at?. Not really what I would call entertainment for them but...!
Happy New Year to one and all.xx

glammagran Wed 01-Jan-20 13:27:47

A Very Happy 2020 to one and all. Hope all of you for whom 2019 has been a feat of endurance have a far, far better year. ?

Urmstongran Wed 01-Jan-20 11:46:21

What a busy thread this has grown to! Lovely.

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s dry and mild. Sadly I wasn’t feeling well again yesterday so I missed our little family get together after all. I felt ropey at bedtime but slept well and feel better today.

We had flights booked to go back to Spain today but we are letting them go until I’ve had the baseline bloods the GP has recommended next week.

Anyway. Let’s hope 2020 is good to us all, with good health physically and mentally. That’s the main blessing in life isn’t it? x

gillgran Wed 01-Jan-20 11:43:15

A very late, "Good Morning", & a very "Happy & Healthy New Year", from a dull, but dry Cambridgeshire. I plan to sort my 2020 diary & calendars today.

Harris27 Wed 01-Jan-20 11:40:07

Happy new year everyone! Hope it’s a good one for you all! Having a trip out to the shops and lunch as it’s a rare day off for hubby! Enjoy whatever you do!

Summerfly Wed 01-Jan-20 11:23:36

Happy New Year to all. ?

Curlywhirly Wed 01-Jan-20 11:15:19

Good morning all from a sunny Madeira! We are here with friends and watched the amazing firework display from our hotel rooftop terrace; must admit I have never seen such a display, it was just breathtaking. We are all a little delicate this morning, so will just take a stroll into the old town.

Lovely to hear that Mr Gillybob is resting and eating well, won't be long till he regains his strength if Gillybob keeps feeding him up! Here's hoping Marydoll gets the rest she needs and all of GN members have a brilliant and healthy New Year. Xx

NfkDumpling Wed 01-Jan-20 11:14:49

Morning All and a very Happy, Prosperous and most of all Healthy New Year!

The sun is just trying to break through here in my bit of Norfolk. Even though we didn’t stay up to welcome the New Year we both managed to sleep in this morning. I only heard one rocket going off last night so either I was very tired or our town has turned boring and no one really revelled.

Nothing planned for today. May clear out a cupboard or two and/or go for a walk.

hulahoop Wed 01-Jan-20 10:58:32

Happy new year to everyone from a bright Yorkshire hope it's a healthy one best wishes to those feeling poorly ?

grannysyb Wed 01-Jan-20 10:55:27

A very belated happy new year to one and all, we stayed up to see out the old year and then neither of us could get to sleep! Probably the result of a glass of fizz at midnight! Hope everyone who has the lurgy recovers soon , DH has now finished his second course of antibiotics, I've managed to avoid it so far. Glad to see that the news from the Gillybobs is better

NemosMum Wed 01-Jan-20 10:52:49

Good morning and a Happy New Year from Newcastle upon Tyne. It's cold and sunny here. I'm off to daughter No.1 for lunch (taking pudding with me). Extending warm wishes to all who are unwell or grieving. The New Year is a time we take stock, and I'm thankful still to be here and pretty well. 2 years ago I was at the end of chemo, bald as a coot and awaiting surgery and radiotherapy. Looking forward to the 2020s.

whywhywhy Wed 01-Jan-20 10:38:54

Good morning from a very sunny whitby were we are staying for the new year. Happy New year to everyone. Xxx

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:30:58

Happy New Year Mick and all.

It is a grey morning here in SE Essex, I am being exceptionally lazy and have just watched the original Parent Trap film with Hayley Mills whilst drinking tea in bed.

We have no plans today, other than awaiting news from DD who has 10 days till her due date, last baby was early so we are on standby to have GS.

Hope all thoss with bugs and viruses are on the mend soon.

gillybob your posts are beginning to sound hopeful, I hope 2020 is kind to you and yours.

Keep safe folks.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 01-Jan-20 10:26:40

Happy New Year to everyone from a dull, grey Warwickshire.
I saw in the new year in bed with a plate of cheese and half a glass of wine which, as I don't drink wasn't finished but at least I raised it!
Had a FaceTime chat with my ACs who were making merry and this morning wished my daughter a happy birthday. Remember having to leave a New Year party in 1967 to give birth to her at home next door to the party.
No big plans for today, might start taking down the decorations but will probably leave them until the weekend.
More tempting is a good book.

conor Wed 01-Jan-20 10:12:27

Good morning from another grey day in Essex. Did stay up to see the New Year in and stood on the doorstep with my glass of Fizz watching the local fireworks(much better than the London ones!) Found myself reflecting on the past year and looking forward to this one with the arrival of my 3rd grandchild at end of Feb. Last "free" day today before family arrive back tomorrow and I have DGSs all day. Was thinking of going to NY parade in London so had better get a move on. Wishing everyone a very happy, healthy and peaceful 2020xxx?

Mapleleaf Wed 01-Jan-20 10:11:19

Good morning and a very happy New Year to you all.

DH and I stayed up to see the New Year in. We had Jools on ready for the countdown, but I thought the programme was terrible this year.

Today will be a fairly lazy day, but I'm hoping to get outside for a walk. It looks to be a lovely morning so far - different to the forecast, which predicted grey, dull skies for here.

Welcome to the newbies.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable day, whatever your plans. ?

Nortsat46 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:11:08

A slow start for me this morning, though my partner is up and about.
We got home about 12.40 last night (this morning) and were in bed by 1.00am, which feels late for us these days!
I think eating rich food and drinking wine quite late in the evening resulted in disturbed sleep. There were also fireworks at 1.00am here and again at 2.00am. My partner however slept blissfully through the 2.00am cacophony.

Have a lovely day all GM team - Happy New Year ?

EllanVannin Wed 01-Jan-20 10:10:15

Good Morning All and a Happy New Year. x
Another lovely sunrise marking yet another fine day here on the Costa Mersey.

I actually feel like a wet week after two bad nights of a hacking cough----which came on suddenly I might add, couldn't get my breath at one point,so another dollop of honey down my gizzard and a couple of paracetamol settled it for a couple of hours until fireworks woke me up at 3am.

I then put the TV on for company and to take my mind off how I felt. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I don't suffer anything throughout the year then at this time, for the 3rd time/year running I'm hit with a lurgy, can't understand it.

My appetite's gone for a burton as well so I'm glad I didn't get the leg of lamb out of the freezer yesterday as it would have gone to waste. Porridge and chicken soup again sad
What a way to start the New Year !

Glad to hear that Mr G is doing alright after his long ordeal, he's done so well xx I'm sure we all willed him better with the vibes which were carried. Gilly too is a bit more upbeat today which is good to see.
Hoping everyone else has a good start to the New Year, free from lurgies .

CaroleAnne Wed 01-Jan-20 10:07:06

A very Happy New Year to everyone.

Sar53 Wed 01-Jan-20 10:06:48

Good morning everyone and a Happy New Year from Essex by the sea. I hope 2020 is a good/better year for you all. Xx

flowerlover Wed 01-Jan-20 10:05:42

Just want to wish everyone the best for 2020 and to thank you all for letting me have a glimpse into your lives over the last year. I plan to contribute a bit this year and hope I can keep this resolution as any others I make don't last long.