Gransnet forums

Chat

New Year Resolutions

(11 Posts)
Lyndiloo Thu 02-Jan-20 02:39:03

Any New Year Resolutions anybody?

I find that New Year Resolutions usually revolve around what we don't like about ourselves.

I am going to try to be kinder, non-judgemental, and not say things about other people that I wouldn't say to their face. (This last, I think we are all guilty of! We gossip! Come on, admit it ...)

I am going to forgive all those who have ever hurt me, and send them my blessings.

Not to mention dieting, drinking less, smoking less, exercising more, blah-de-blah-de-bloody-blah ...

Anything else Gransnetters?

(Happy New Year to you all!)

Teetime Thu 02-Jan-20 09:26:38

Good Heavens Lyndiloo you have set the bar high.
I'm doing Dry January and hopefully raising funds for Help for Heroes but I want the whole thing to set me on a better relationship with alcohol e.g. stop drinking wine every night.

Grannybags Thu 02-Jan-20 09:48:50

I am going to try and stay neutral during the collapse of my son's marriage and do all I can for my little granddaughters caught up in the middle of it all sad

Beechnut Thu 02-Jan-20 09:59:24

I want to get things done that I have been putting off.

EllanVannin Thu 02-Jan-20 10:22:08

I'm still puffing away because I knew it was futile packing in with an anxious year ahead.
I don't drink and only have the tiniest sip of brandy to settle a churning tum now and again as it seems to help the appetite.

I know it'll be a bumpy time and I feel for Grannybags too as the situation here isn't dissimilar in a way. A worrying time.

Granny23 Thu 02-Jan-20 10:53:53

2019 has been the worst year of my life - so far - and forward though I canna see, I guess and fear.

I'm trying very hard to get back to some sort of equilibrium, regain some purpose and direction, get on with the tasks that have been neglected through lack of time and energy, but all I want to do is sleep, plitter about on Facebook and Gransnet and hide from the world.
Anyway, one step at a time. I WILL get off here and take the decorations down.

Davida1968 Thu 02-Jan-20 10:56:14

Going for a dry January here - is anyone else trying this?

Lyndiloo Thu 02-Jan-20 17:32:46

Teetime and Davidal: I, too, am going to try for a Dry January. Like Teetime, I usually have a glass or two of wine nearly every night - and it's got to stop! (But not until Monday 6th, as we've got family birthdays this weekend.)

I did have a Dry October, which was very insightful for me. Now, to explain this: I don't have a problem with not drinking for a few nights, which I often do. But I've never gone without alcohol for a whole month for years! (Never felt the need to.) I felt so different - not physically so much as mentally. It was really weird (and very unexpected). I felt like a different person inside my head, as though my thought processes and patterns had completely changed. It's hard to explain this. But it was a bit of an eye-opener to have the evidence of just how much alcohol affects us. (Just one or two nights off-the-plonk doesn't have this effect - but a whole month certainly does!)

So looking forward to doing it again - and who knows, maybe I'll stay off for good ...?

Good luck you two! (And good luck to everybody else with their New Year endeavours.)

nanaK54 Thu 02-Jan-20 18:10:35

I need to lose some weight
I need to grow a thicker skin (ooh hope that doesn't mean more weight gain grin
I need to de-clutter
I need to come to some sort of decision re retirement
That's quite a list!

BradfordLass72 Fri 03-Jan-20 10:10:07

My New Year's Resolution is not to elope with Luca Zingaretti.

It'll break my heart but I have to be strong.

Lyndiloo Sat 04-Jan-20 04:33:22

Ooh, Bradford Lass! I've never heard of (or seen) Luca Zingaretti before
...? But now that you've introduced us ...

My New Year's Resolution would be to take your place. Thanks for stepping aside!