Gransnet forums

Chat

What's on your coffee table?

(81 Posts)
kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 10:00:51

In my naivety, I thought a coffee table was a place for putting down a cup/mug/glass - preferably on a coaster.

It might also have the newspaper/magazines/Radio Times and box of chocolates or even a 'coffee table' book. Ours is glass topped and has a shelf underneath with loads of clutter numerous childrens games, the village magazine and a box of tissues.

I saw an article yesterday showing how to 'style' a coffee table - is yours styled? Or like ours? blush

HurdyGurdy Sat 04-Jan-20 20:14:23

Well, this thread has both inspired and shamed me, and my coffee table has now been de-cluttered and the storage cleared out.

Feeling quite virtuous now, having only got laptop and mousemat, and a drink on top, and SO much space in the storage part

Mapleleaf Sat 04-Jan-20 14:55:10

At the moment, mine's a bit cluttered with various magazines, the remote, my mobile, 2 candlesticks (don't ask ?), a letter and a couple of ornaments in the corner. There's a shelf underneath which houses 3 storage boxes which contain dvd's and videos. It also has some drawers which contain various bits and pieces and are in need of tidying out!

clementine Sat 04-Jan-20 12:56:06

Meant to add have numerous side tables, accumulated over the years, currently one at my side of the sofa, empty cup, pair of glasses , mobile, head phones and a biro.

Husband's book, empty box ? empty cup, and glasses . Gosh we should be ashamed !!

clementine Sat 04-Jan-20 12:52:02

If I could see beneath the layer of dust, it would be magazines,( most out of date !) husbands book, notebook, numerous pairs of glasses ,

My daughter uses a tray on top of hers, she has a candle on it and the remote . Have to say it looks well . Something I must investigate.

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 12:47:42

I must, I must

take down my decorations

and move that empty coffee mug.

HurdyGurdy Sat 04-Jan-20 12:32:11

I should add that my coffee table also now holds a cup of tea and a plate with a slice of panettone. So I'm not getting off Gransnet any time soon grin grin grin

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 12:27:00

oh dear HurdyGurdy my computer desk is a different matter altogether.
I don't know where to begin

First - remove empty coffee mug.

HurdyGurdy Sat 04-Jan-20 12:24:41

My coffee table is also my computer (laptop) table. It has a lift up top which brings it closer to the seat, making space for legs underneath. Under the lift-top is a storage area, then a shelf below that.

So, currently on my coffee table (oh the shame of admitting this!) is
laptop and mouse mat (can't get on with touch pad mouse)
6 drinks coasters
packet of glasses lens cleaning wipes
my not-a-FitBit (charging via the laptop)
my tablets dispenser (waiting to be filled up with the week's medication)
a pair of Christmas earrings, which I STILL haven't taken back upstairs to put away (see - the shame thing, right there)
envelopes that Christmas cards came in, which I will remove the stamps from for charity, and use the envelopes for notes/shopping list)
husband's wallet
husband's glasses case
a small bluetooth speaker, waiting to be charged up
my mobile phone
husband's mobile phone

Inside the storage space, which was only ever intended to hold my laptop when I'm not using it - is just clutter clutter clutter, most of which I am sure wouldn't be missed if it went into the bin

On the shelf underneath is a wicker basket (was a food hamper two Chrsitmases ago) with magazines, puzzle books and a selection of pens
Two boxes of tissues

Styled schmyled!! Who the heck styles a coffee table!!!!

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 12:20:52

I hope they don't open cupboard doors, Luckygirl!

Or perhaps you don't do that - shove everything into cupboards, perhaps you tidy properly

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 12:19:52

grin

Maggiemaybe Sat 04-Jan-20 12:14:16

She’s obviously too young.

Maggiemaybe Sat 04-Jan-20 12:13:15

Well this thread has inspired me to set up Alexa, now out of her box, functioning and sitting rather smugly on the coffee table. Though I’m shocked to find that she knows everything there is to know about the dark other side (Mumsnet), but has apparently never heard of Gransnet. shock

Luckygirl Sat 04-Jan-20 10:55:09

What's on my coffee table!? - absolutely nothing!!!!!!!

Estate agent coming to take photos in a minute, so DD and I have just whizzed round the place tidying. I have never ever seen my coffee table with nothing on - I am so glad that it is going to be recorded for posterity!!

But I will not be able to find a darned thing for weeks!!!

vinasol Sat 04-Jan-20 10:41:10

I don't have a coffee table as I have a small lounge. I have a small table next to my chair which I am constantly decluttering!

NfkDumpling Sat 04-Jan-20 10:04:57

You lot have stirred me up. I now have a coffee table. Sans Suff. There is a fruit bowl - it didn’t contain fruit but pens, sunglasses (!), beads and various other random bits. It’s now shiny, decorative and empty. And coasters. I knew I had some from the last time friends came for lunch and I had a clear up.

Happy New Year!

Maggiemaybe Fri 03-Jan-20 22:29:36

The proper coffee table’s got a vase of flowers, a pile of cracker toys and jokes as I’ll be making my own next year, a few Christmas coasters and a box of Lego I bought at a charity shop today. But it does have 12 diddy drawers underneath that are all full to busting.

DH’s side table has 2 pens, his crossword book, his phone, a fiver, various documents, a beer. And an Alexa Echo still in its box. Tomorrow’s first job. grin

Mine has a big festive jigsaw I’m sick to death of balanced on it, with my glass of wine perched even more precariously on top.

NotAGran55 Fri 03-Jan-20 22:26:13

No coffee table just a side table at the end of each sofa . Nothing on either of them.

Sarahmob Fri 03-Jan-20 21:48:09

A vase of roses, candle and an open box of Malteser Teasers

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jan-20 21:44:47

I don’t have a coffee table don’t think I ever have

CanadianGran Fri 03-Jan-20 21:41:09

I also have a glass table with a shelf underneath. The top stays mostly clear except for one plant, the shelf under has some reference books; bird, garden, and marine, along with the coasters in their box.

It does get cleared off every day if some things accumulate.

Lyndylou Fri 03-Jan-20 21:27:57

A diary/to do list book, half a packet of biscuits, 3 remotes, a glass of water and a sketch pad with a plan of the bedroom that I intend to redecorate this year.

I would like to point out that I definitely do not have an Alexa still in a box on my coffee table. It is on the shelf behind the sofa. I did dust the box before Xmas. grin

BradfordLass72 Fri 03-Jan-20 21:18:19

Missfoodlove I'd much rather have 'class hole' smile

I've never had a coffee table and wouldn't want one but my son has.
Black, glass topped, it currently holds a rectangular black pot with a set of 3 square, white candles (unused, unlit) and if they are having coffee, the mugs.

No remote controls as everything in their home is controlled by voice.

NfkDumpling Fri 03-Jan-20 20:58:25

We have a heap in our back room made up of magazines, newspapers, books, pens, a box of mans size tissues and I think there's a fruit bowl in there somewhere. It has legs. I believe there's a coffee table under there somewhere.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 03-Jan-20 20:38:30

Plant, Tissues 2 coasters one book

Vonners Fri 03-Jan-20 20:30:12

Never had a coffee table as I know it would just end up covered in stuff :-)