Gransnet forums

Chat

Bath or Shower

(101 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 07:41:13

Which do you prefer, for quickness it’s always been a shower but I do love a good soak after a busy day

tricia12 Sun 05-Jan-20 18:59:00

love daily baths but on holiday if only a shower have to really make myself get in.dont enjoy at all .

narrowboatnan Sun 05-Jan-20 18:27:58

OddBird I know exactly how you feel. We live on a boat too but I manage to have a couple of baths each year when I visit and stay with family who have houses. Can just about get myself out again afterwards ?

Lilyflower Sun 05-Jan-20 17:25:02

Bath. Have one every day and it’s the only time my feet are properly warm in the winter.

If there is an actual heatwave in the summer (not just a very hot day) I will have a shower or two to cool down.

Linbrikat Sun 05-Jan-20 16:55:30

I agree with Lizzypopbottle. Having a shower and a bath or two showers a day is incredibly wasteful of water as well as being incredibly bad for your skin. I just can't understand why people feel the need to keep washing off the natural oils that their skin produces and then replace them with overpriced toxic chemicals. Unless you're a miner or work in some other dirty profession, a bath or shower once every 3 or 4 days is perfectly adequate.

Saggi Sun 05-Jan-20 16:35:27

....... just read your post Cabbie.... my sis has problems with baths ... she’s got herself one of those seats that rise up and down into bath... easy to use and control easy to use. And

Saggi Sun 05-Jan-20 16:30:18

Sore point with me.... I had to have the bathroom converted to shower room because my husband could no longer manage the bath. Bathroom not big enough to accommodate both.... you never know how much you’re gonna miss a long soak until you can’t have one.... especially as my arthritis always responded to a hot soak. If I’m ever left on my own... it’ll be reversed within a month!

TerriBull Sun 05-Jan-20 16:29:34

It's a personal preference of course, Oh god it's no contest as far as I'm concerned, I take a shower every morning and hence a shower is an absolute must in my life. I wouldn't hesitate to remove a bath and put a shower in its place if there wasn't one in any prospective house purchase. When booking hotels, in the special request box I will ask for shower in the ensuite if that is possible.

Baths remind me of childhood, a time when people didn't take them every day, and when you did, there was the tendency to stay in them too long with all your dead skin floating on the top of water that had become very lukewarm shock Possibly they are soporific at the end of the day, but a shower is invigorating and much more of a wake up and much better for hair washing too.

Urmstongran Sun 05-Jan-20 16:27:53

Showers.

The last bath I had was 10y ago when we moved here. I was shocked that it was so snug! I’ve put more weight on since as well so never used it again. We have decided to have it taken out this summer.

Legs55 Sun 05-Jan-20 16:17:24

Never liked a bath, I was always in, washed & out, a waste of water. I can't understand the "soak in the bath with a book, candles etc" but that's just meconfused

I love my shower, when I bought this house it already had a wet room, I shower before bed (very relaxing). I soak my feet in a bowl whilst watching tv an advantage of living on my own . I am diabetic so have to take care of my feet as I also have peripheral neuropathy, can't say I've ever had "orange feet" from just showeringhmm

DH loved a bath & in my last property we had a en-suite with shower & bathroom with shower over the bath, best of both world's (since DH died I don't need a bath). I can't get in or out of a bath easily.

chrissie13 Sun 05-Jan-20 16:13:57

Definitely a bath for me, I really really hate showers. I love my soak in the bath, and I feel nice and warm for hours afterwards, also I'm afraid of slipping over in a shower.

Cambia Sun 05-Jan-20 16:01:14

lizzypopbottle totally agree! I only shower a couple of times a week and strip wash every morning and night! Read somewhere you should wash as far down as possible, as far up as possible and then wash possible!!

Do love my bath a couple of times a week too, so pretty sure I don’t smell!

Cabbie21 Sun 05-Jan-20 15:21:12

I prefer a bath. It reaches parts a shower cannot properly reach. Our bath is small so does not take much water. However I am now struggling to get out of it. I used to manage by turning myself over then pushing myself up but now my weak wrists are making that very painful. I am afraid they might give way and I might injure myself, so I don’t bathe unless DH is in the house.
What I often do now is to run the bath, and kneel up in it. My feet get a good soak that way, and I use a sponge to liberally soap and wash the nether regions. I miss not being able to sit in it. By kneeling up not down, I can still get out, so far.
I rarely have a shower. I hate them. Perhaps it is a hangover from school showers? We do have a separate shower cubicle downstairs if the time comes when we can’t use the shower over the bath.

Lallylou Sun 05-Jan-20 15:19:43

Both depending on my mood. But a bath before bed and then putting a pair of socks on really makes me sleep well

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:39:38

We still have a bath as we haven't been able to afford having the bathroom re-done. We very rarely use it, but unfortunately have to stand in it to shower.

Our water rates rather deter us from using the bath as even if you only fill it half full it uses up a lot of water,

We will certainly have a walk-in shower when we get round to doing the bathroom.

Norah Sun 05-Jan-20 14:32:49

Morning shower and night shower.

jura2 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:31:26

Used to enjoy a bath from time to time - but too difficult now. So shower every morning- and my jakuzzi outside regularly- easy to get in and out and with a view smile

Aepgirl, I have one of those matt on suction pads that I place on the floor of the shower with a bit of soap- and brushes. Wonderful, no bending down or balancing smile

TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:28:47

Bubble jets patticake I wouldn’t want to get out

Bijou Sun 05-Jan-20 14:27:53

Have always preferred a shower. Twenty years ago, suffering from osteoarthritis had a grant from the council ( no longer available) to have the bath taken out and bathroom converted to a wet room. At the age of 96 and being wobbly on my legs I still shower every day. I have an electric shower with a detachable head so can clean my parts.
I have heard that the Japanese have to shower before taking a bath. So are not sitting in dirty water.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:27:36

Love your post Phoenix it made me laugh I’m quite envious of your 6 body jets, I’d really love one

Aepgirl Sun 05-Jan-20 14:15:56

It seems that I'm in the minority - I have a daily bath, and only shower when I wash my hair. I detest balancing on one leg to wash my feet, and I always feel cold when I leave the shower, no matter how hot the water is.

Graygirl Sun 05-Jan-20 13:44:19

Walk in shower at home DH can't get into bath for last 12 years ,but we have motorhome and when we are touring love to find sight with proper bath room love a late-night soak!!!!

Redrobin51 Sun 05-Jan-20 13:41:33

To me it would be a wonderful relaxing bath every time. I have arthritis and I used to soak for ages every night with epsom salts to relax, I would light a candle and listen to music, bliss. Unfortunately, it was getting more and more difficult to get out of the bath so when we had to move to this bungalow and the bathroom didn't have room for a bath and a showert we opted for a large shower. Yes it is easier and yes it is quicker but to me it is just a way of getting clean and no longer a pleasure.x

4allweknow Sun 05-Jan-20 13:09:50

Shower here. Have a flat bottom bath in house bathroom with overheard shower for visitors. G C still live messing about in a bath and if course it takes longer before bedtime. Only problem with bath as its flat is that it takes a lot of water to get a GC 'swimming' depth. Worth it though to hear the squeals of delight.

annep1 Sun 05-Jan-20 12:41:56

I shower every day with the odd exception if not up to it.
But I love having a relaxing bath. The water can't be that dirty surely if we shower every day.
I make sure there's enough hot water to keep topping it up as it cools so that I can stay in for half an hour at least.. I listen to The Seekers farewell concert, and get out with wrinkly fingers.

Patticake123 Sun 05-Jan-20 12:32:32

Despite having two baths, one a fancy thing with bubble jets, I have never used either of them. The only time I enjoy a bath is if we go to a hotel and then I’ll fill it up to my chin and enjoy a very rare luxury!