Gransnet forums

Chat

New Year diets

(8 Posts)
sunseeker Tue 07-Jan-20 11:25:41

It occurred to me the other day that many people start a new diet in January, just when we all have lots of chocolates and Christmas goodies left over (most of my gifts were something which could be eaten).

Whilst I should certainly lose a few (!) pounds I think I will start my diet at the beginning of February (it would be ungrateful not to eat all those lovely gifts) grin

Billybob4491 Tue 07-Jan-20 11:36:31

I take my unopened boxes of chocolates, biscuits and so forth to the foodbank, not tempted then, no sweat.

Desdemona Tue 07-Jan-20 11:43:51

I don't buy food gifts and I don't particularly like receiving them either. If there is a particular foodstuff I fancy I just buy it when I want it.

New Year Diet??? No way. I am a bit on the plump side but my dieting days are over.

Gaunt47 Tue 07-Jan-20 11:44:09

I think that a new year resolution to go on a diet is a mistake. You put too much pressure on yourself, don't loose your target poundage by March so drift back to bad eating habits. Why not be kind to yourself and just resolve to eat less?
Put away large dinner plates, use smaller ones.
A portion of meat or fish should be no bigger than half the size of your hand.
Eliminate processed foods, and cake and biscuits etc.
Exercise.
Some studies show that telling friends and family about your decision works, other studies say that keeping quiet and not sharing works!
If you need to shift a stone or three then Weight Watchers or Slimming World is probably the way to go.
Whatever your decision, I really hope you're able to stick with it and feel good again. flowers

vampirequeen Tue 07-Jan-20 21:40:35

We're trying to eat less/move more making sure we eat the rainbow most days. That said we'll be having fish and chips when we go to Whitby and a Magnum on a Saturday night. DH has been diagnosed with Diabetes 2 and is trying to control it with diet. The nurse told us to add more pulses to our diet e.g. chick peas added to chicken korma so that we eat less rice. I have to admit you do feel fuller for longer when you eat the pulses.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 07-Jan-20 21:59:10

Just finished the last bar of chocolate but still have about 11 biscuits in the tin left. When they are gone then I will start to diet. Mind you I haven't put much on over Christmas, only about 2lbs, but I feel fat.

Sara65 Tue 07-Jan-20 22:14:44

Still got a few chocolates left, I haven’t really done a big shop since Christmas, so we’re eating up what’s here, and suddenly today I have this craving for fruit and salad, I’m off to M&S tomorrow.

Urmstongran Tue 07-Jan-20 22:30:44

Whatever we decide it’s hard. If it were easy there wouldn’t be a whole industry trying to persuade us what works best!