Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you buy meal deals from the big supermarkets?

(23 Posts)
infoman Thu 09-Jan-20 09:37:25

Always find it very good value Sandwich crisp/Cholate bar and a drink.
Until recently the two big stores only had the drink in a plastic bottle.
Things are changing if you look around the drinks section,
some of the drinks come in an alluminium can.
Alluminium cans are easier to recycle that plastic.

Fiachna50 Thu 09-Jan-20 11:04:23

No, unfortunately having the curse of gluten intolerance means you miss out on meal deals and your food is generally more expensive. I really cook/ bake much of my own.

Canalboatgranma Thu 09-Jan-20 13:24:57

No, because I don't need the crisps and chocolate..... I may want them, but I don't need them!

BBbevan Thu 09-Jan-20 13:32:55

No, too much sugar and carbs for me

TrendyNannie6 Tue 14-Jan-20 11:21:52

When I was working I bought like this couple times a week

Jane10 Tue 14-Jan-20 11:52:47

I never seem to want the various constituents of a 'meal deal'. I'd rather just have the sandwich or roll that I fancy. I don't like fizzy drinks anyway and would never have bought one.

ninathenana Tue 14-Jan-20 12:00:09

I sometimes buy them for DS from Tesco. Sandwich, crisps and drink. They also do the deal if you buy pasta salad.

Jane10 you can choose fruit juice or water.

Ellianne Tue 14-Jan-20 12:06:45

Yes, although I dither making my choices and just end up buying what I like rather than the foods in the deal. Then the faff of having to pay at those self service tills. M&S is my favourite, I often use it on Paddington Station.

Ellianne Tue 14-Jan-20 12:07:29

I usually opt for water, that doesn't come in a can.

M0nica Tue 14-Jan-20 12:19:32

I rarely buy sandwiches out now, but when I did, I never bought the meal deals for the simple reason that they all include crisps and sweets, neither of which I particularly like and on the odd occasion when fruit is included it is almost tasteless shrivelled apples, brown bananas and oranges with skins that are impossible to peel, even if you have a knife.

Jane10 Tue 14-Jan-20 13:04:20

Yes me too. I only want a sandwich or roll. I can make my own drinks or turn on the tap for water.
I feel these meal deals lead people to have crisps and sweet things they'd be better off without.

harrigran Tue 14-Jan-20 13:17:09

No, never bought meal deals. I get the impression that they are offloading the unhealthy stuff that wedon't reall need.

Ellianne Tue 14-Jan-20 13:27:27

I'm sure there are foodie companies that offer healthy meal deals as an alternative, but no doubt at an exorbitant price. Our daughter works in the city and uses Boots for salad and fruit meal deals.

Missfoodlove Tue 14-Jan-20 13:31:47

I’m too mean and too particular to buy sandwiches.
Yesterday morning I packed a picnic lunch for our journey to visit our daughter.
Delicious cheese and pickle sandwiches in bakery bread, I always feel really smug when I see the horrid looking sandwiches and realise how much I have saved.

love0c Tue 14-Jan-20 13:33:38

I buy the sandwich deal from tesco in the summer months and also the greggs deal. Both good value and you can get water at tesco if you prefer or juice at greggs. I buy the tesco 'dine in' as well. For £10 I think it is a good buy.

GrandmaKT Tue 14-Jan-20 13:36:47

I used to use Boots when I was working. They have a little packet of apples and grapes or raw carrots instead of crisps/sweets if you choose.

Chestnut Tue 14-Jan-20 13:39:12

I may have occasionally bought sandwich, crisps and a drink at a service station when travelling. Normally, I would always make my own sandwich and take my own drink in a container (not buy one). Always have done.
I think plastic drink bottles are the worst thing ever invented for the environment. We managed before without them. And aluminium cans are no better because it is very costly to the environment to make them.
Pack your own lunch and drink!

Liz46 Tue 14-Jan-20 13:42:42

I bought a plastic pot of ready prepared fruit from Asda once. It looked lovely but tasted overwhelmingly of plastic.

Doodledog Tue 14-Jan-20 13:59:12

I used to get the Boots ones on my way to work. They did options other than crisps - you could get fruit instead - and if you got there early there were options other than sandwiches, too (and I got Advantage points grin )

Megs36 Tue 14-Jan-20 15:39:13

They are really handy now and than infoman, we buy them occasionally when having a day out, very good value, I don’t get ‘holier than thou’ about sugar, chocolate etc, and not guilty about not making my own delicious sandwiches once in a while , each to their own makes the world go round.

PamelaJ1 Tue 14-Jan-20 18:39:48

Yes, I do, I think they are terrific value.
I don’t get the sandwich, snacks ones but the meal deals.
We usually cook from scratch but occasionally it just seems easy.
I am one of those annoying people who read the ingredient list so I am a bit picky. If they are too full of ingredients that I don’t recognise I don’t buy.

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-Jan-20 19:31:54

Yes, when we’re travelling. They’re good value, and I’m never going to beat myself up about having a bag of crisps or a bar of chocolate. You can hardly make your own meal for a return journey, can you?

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jan-20 19:34:02

Yes.
I'm going to buy one tomorrow on my way to work.