Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you or anyone in your family have a nickname?

(39 Posts)
Xxjanexx Sat 11-Jan-20 18:13:58

Nicknames please...and why was it given?

My daughter is called linzi,when she was younger she couldn’t say it..not surprising! So if you asked her what her name was she say diddy ?
Which was shortened to dids but my DH and myself are the only ones who can use it.

cangran Sun 12-Jan-20 19:07:43

My mum called me Bridget, my dad called me Jo, my aunt called me Snucks - no idea why!

M0nica Sun 12-Jan-20 18:18:48

DFiL had a close slightly older cousin/friend whom he much admired. So much so he took on his name as well, so Reginald became Jack and was known as Jack to everyone, including his family for the rest of his life. While the friendship lasted he and his friend were known as 'the two Jacks'. At 15 the friend decided to go to sea and was never heard of again.

SpringyChicken Sun 12-Jan-20 18:09:23

My friends uncle was nicknamed Trod-in-it for unfortunate reasons!

ninathenana Sun 12-Jan-20 17:23:56

Only one was my half sister who was known as Dinks/Dinky due to her small stature.

kitty I wondered where that came from smile

midgey Sun 12-Jan-20 14:06:35

My brother always calls me Gert!

Luckygirl Sun 12-Jan-20 11:29:45

My nicknames at school were Hairy Arm Pitt (because said quickly my full name did sound a bit like that; or Mishap, because Miss followed by my initials sounds like that. Oh dear!

It was worse for my sister whose name could sound like Peela Shit if slurred a bit.

My DD is Elizabeth, but always known as Beth; another is know as Caribou; and the other as Scuttlebutt because of her weird running technique!

Harris27 Sun 12-Jan-20 10:44:21

My dad always called me ‘titch’ until I got married then I must of grown up and was called by my name.

GrandmaMoira Sun 12-Jan-20 10:40:58

I had a nickname at school based on my surname. My Dad called me Fatso which always made me think I was fat but in fact I was slim really.

Humbertbear Sun 12-Jan-20 08:49:06

We all had nicknames when we were growing up until my older sister as a teenager decided that she was too old for one. I was called Pinky Whistle. Those of you who read Enid Blyton will know why. I used to look for Mr Pink Whistle every time I went out of the house!

Greyduster Sun 12-Jan-20 08:33:34

My son’s name is Richard, but all his school friends called him Eddie. I never understood why but I think it had something to do with a character Paul Newman played in a filmconfused.

Nannytopsy Sun 12-Jan-20 07:34:16

My dad always called me Topsy, from before I was born. He called my daughter, who looks like me, little Topse.

Grandma70s Sun 12-Jan-20 07:21:58

My father hated his name, Gilbert, and outside the family was always known as George. He had a work colleague called Oscar (many years before it became fashionable) who was always known as Bill.

The nickname ‘Podge’ is mentioned above. At school I knew a Pauline who was nicknamed Podge. She was not at all podgy, but somehow her name had evolved. There was also a Maureen called Moddy, and a Norma who was nicknamed Inky. No idea why.

kittylester Sun 12-Jan-20 07:15:41

My mum was christened Akice but always called Babs - until DS1 came along. He couldn't master 'nana' so she became Anna to all her grandchildren.

dragonfly46 Sun 12-Jan-20 06:59:33

My dad was Arthur but we always called him Fred. No idea why. My mum started it.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jan-20 06:51:57

Not sure where pretty came from in my post please disregard that

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jan-20 06:51:12

My grandad was Arthur but always called Jimmy my uncle (not his son) was pretty another Arthur but always called uncle Joe I never knew he wasn’t Joe until I was an adult

Evie64 Sun 12-Jan-20 01:12:26

My big brother called me Jackanana. Apparently I was like a Jack in a Box. My GD calls me Ninny or Nin. Love it.

rosecarmel Sun 12-Jan-20 01:03:08

My grandparents had nicknames for their grandchildren and great grandchildren- My grandfather came up with his, my grandmother hers but neither used the names the other came up with! We were only called the nickname by the grandparent that came up with the name- Mine was from my grandmother-

Marmight Sun 12-Jan-20 00:13:46

My Dad was always called Chum by his brother, sisters & my grandparents. My cousins too called him Uncle Chum. I haven’t the foggiest why. Maybe as the youngest he was a chummy little boy confused
When I was very small he called me Pixie (until I became more like Dumbo ?)
All my daughters have their names shortened by their friends and husbands, but I use the names we gave them in full. So there!!
My late husband’s aunt was called Fuss for obvious reasons but her Christian name was, strangely, the same as mine (which I hate & never use)
Life is very complicated when it comes to names!

Auntieflo Sat 11-Jan-20 22:46:04

I had a nickname that my brother invented, when tiny, as he couldn't say my given name.
This went on through my teens, until I met my future DH.
I did think I would lose it then, but he continued and now I have been stuck with it for 75 years.

ginny Sat 11-Jan-20 22:43:53

My name here is the name my Aunt called me when I was a child. My Mums nickname for me was Chickabiddy.
My DDs are RattyLou, Bubs and Loddle.
My DGS calls his Aunties, Ray and Bob.

Nortsat46 Sat 11-Jan-20 22:29:56

My grandmothers’s name was Elizabeth but she was always known to everyone in the family as Boodie.
My father was known as Norgie (his name was Norman) and his sister was known as Mouser (her name was Muriel).

I have absolutely no idea why ... and have just realised how utterly ridiculous it all sounds. ?

BlueSapphire Sat 11-Jan-20 22:16:16

I didn't get a nickname till I went to college where friends christened me Dewdrop.
Although I do remember now that my uncle called me Mikey.
My sister was called Christine, I was three when she was born, couldn't get my tongue around it and called her Kiteen. For ever after she was known as Kit.

gillybob Sat 11-Jan-20 22:13:29

My son has always called his sister BoBo . I think she would be quite shocked if he used her proper name now.

SpringyChicken Sat 11-Jan-20 21:57:00

I was called Buzzy because of my surname, then that was shortened to Buzz. I had an Aunty nicknamed Paddy because of her fearful temper.