Gransnet forums

Chat

Big Ben Bong.

(134 Posts)
ginny Tue 14-Jan-20 11:14:51

A scheme has been suggested to raise money by donations for Big Ben to ring out as we leave the EU.
For goodness sake ! If people want to mark the occasion surely there must be better ways for donations to be spent.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Jan-20 09:25:17

The news now is that a countdown clock will be projected onto the facade of no.10 instead.

This seems a better idea to me as not so provocative but still a marker for those who want one.

freyja Sat 18-Jan-20 08:42:48

I think we have missed the point about BB. The whole Parliamentary building is being renovated including BB because it is in a state of collapse due to 100 years of neglect. In other words the building housing BB is in a dangerous condition and is being worked on by many people to restore it. To disrupt this work just because BJ wants to have a two minute bong that can only be heard by Londoners is stupid, dangerous with no consideration to the work in progress or thought to the site workers,

If it is really necessary to mark this date then surely it would be better, cheaper and watched by the whole nation to light the beacons, to mark the occasion.

Greta Fri 17-Jan-20 11:46:56

I thought the ringing of Big Ben to 'celebrate' Britain leaving the EU was just a joke when I first heard it. I guess leave voters see the bell ringing as their chance to proclaim ”we won”. After the election Boris Johnson promised he would be the Prime Minister of both leavers and remainers. That statement was obviously just another empty soundbite.

I hope that from now on we will get accurate updates from the government on how things are progressing – and not just with trade. Let's have no more childish events and attempts to distract us.

Urmstongran Fri 17-Jan-20 10:40:28

Ah well, seems it’s not to be. The powers that be didn’t want to use taxpayer’s money. Fair enough. More bizarrely however they won’t allow expenses to be covered by crowdfunding.

Never mind, we are leaving the EU that’s the main issue here.

We wouldn't be normal if we weren't enjoying this period against all those who have been telling us for 3 years or more that Brexit would never happen. People who were delighted when the Supreme Court, the Scottish High Court, the House of Commons, the Speaker, the BBC, Gina Millar and others all conspired to prevent Brexit.

Well it’s happening. The GE ballot box gave it an enormous thumbs up. Boris got his stonking majority. The chiming of Big Ben, although symbolic doesn’t really matter.

Calendargirl Fri 17-Jan-20 09:57:02

Only two weeks to go!

JenniferEccles Fri 17-Jan-20 09:55:17

Who says we are a laughing stock?

I have spoken to quite a lot of people on holiday in various EU countries since we voted to leave over three long years ago , and I can assure you that many were envious of us.

westendgirl Fri 17-Jan-20 09:39:16

This gets more and more like an early Ealing comedy . No wonder we are a laughing stock, but I do agree with Ginny 42.I do think some of the posters are sounding like infants, however.
By the way for those of you worried about the colour of your passport(though why it should matter I dont know)they've had blue covers in the local Pound Shop for ages.

Hetty58 Fri 17-Jan-20 09:34:14

Good for you, DoraMarr!

DoraMarr Fri 17-Jan-20 09:24:58

I think a bong would be a good idea. In fact, I’m smoking one now.

Cunco Fri 17-Jan-20 08:45:13

Whether the bell rings or no doesn't bother me but extreme views on both sides do. I have voted Leave twice in my lifetime so I have taken my share of abuse from both Right and Left but now, my main thought is that we should make a go of being outside the EU, whatever that may mean after all the negotiations are done. I will raise a glass to that hope, much in the same way as I wish people a happy, healthy and safe New Year.

As people have said, if the bell rings, it would not be financed by public money unlike the giant firework displays that wasted resources and the polluted atmosphere at New Year. Like New Year, people can either stay up or go to bed. I suspect there will be more important things to think about on February 1.

Ginny42 Fri 17-Jan-20 06:23:07

I have GN friends who hopefully don't think it's me proposing this ludicrous idea of gloating over being a divided nation by ringing out the bells of BB, to say nothing of toasting the event in French champagne.

I will not be celebrating the day my DGS officially becomes a 'foreigner'. It will pass unmarked by me.

N.B. To anyone with cash to spare, come and see the volunteers going round Manchester with supermarket trolleys giving out clothes and food to the homeless and then tell us it's a good use of anyone's cash to ring BB. We are a divided nation in very many ways.

Dottynan Fri 17-Jan-20 06:12:23

Most people do want to leave the EU

Linda369 Fri 17-Jan-20 05:19:42

Most people do not want to leave the EU today but our broken electoral system has given us this result. Australia is burning, there are more children living in poverty and families using food banks now compared with 10 years ago. Is our right wing media told the truth, rest her than their version of it, I don’t think we would be in this utter mess today.

Jillybird Thu 16-Jan-20 17:05:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nanniejc1 Thu 16-Jan-20 12:04:16

What a miserable lot ,for goodness sake give Boris a chance.......We all know what we voted for!! We are not wealthy & have both had to work all of our lives & our children work hard ........Most of the people who voted to leave were from poor areas,London is a wealthy city which attracts many foreigners.....I think most of the real Londoners have moved out ,can’t afford to live there anymore that’s why it is such a high remain area.

lemongrove Thu 16-Jan-20 10:10:10

Bung A Bob For A Big Ben Bong ....could go on into history as a tongue-twister.?

lemongrove Thu 16-Jan-20 10:07:18

Good post Rosina and yes, a recording of bongs would do nicely!?

Urmstongran Thu 16-Jan-20 09:29:30

Wonderful difference to see here between the bell-ringers and the hand-wringers.
?

Manga2012 Thu 16-Jan-20 08:36:12

Definitely not , we need to move on snd repair this rift in our society . It is a huge waste of money that should be spent on public services especially NHS .

Lilyflower Thu 16-Jan-20 06:26:13

I think that there should be nothing to make people feel their noses have been rubbed in it as I know what it feels like after years of the boot being on the other foot.

However, £half a million divided between many contributors is not going to be anything of a problem and the contributions will be voluntary. Goodness knows much more than that is spent daily on unnecessary, PC or Woke nonsense. Look at the £squillions wasted on salaries at Public Health England to tell us to sleep properly and eat less, for example.

My family voted two in favour and two against Brexit and only one of us won’t actually be celebrating. I am having to send for a passport now but I will definitely pay for another blue one when I can.

But I will be tactful in my celebrations.

ginny Thu 16-Jan-20 05:05:35

NoddingGanGan you are using a quote from my earlier post and I agree that people are entitled to donate to what ever they want. However, I am entitled to have my own opinion as to wether I think it a good cause.
YOU have no idea how I voted in the election or what I give or do for charity so please do not make assumptions .

drifter Thu 16-Jan-20 02:32:12

Im Ok with it its GB s independace from the rules of the european rules of my country.new era where we can make our own rules with the europe comunity that milked our tax payes money to support other countrys that has been draining england for many years

Grandma2213 Thu 16-Jan-20 01:09:45

I don't understand anything any more except that there will be many more years of arguing and disagreement over the terms of Brexit. Jarndyce v Jarndyce springs to mind. I doubt I will be alive when it finally comes to its sad conclusion (if it ever does).

NoddingGanGan Wed 15-Jan-20 23:25:04

My point was that if money was to be raised then it would be better used for something worthwhile. And what is "something worthwhile"? Something that you consider to be worthwhile? If you have a cause which is, in your estimation, "worthwhile" nobody is preventing you from raising money in its support. If people give money for this then it's because they think it's worthwhile and it's their money. Where does this attitude come from that one has the right to decide how to spend other people's money? Possibly from the same quarter that the attitude comes from which dictates that it's ok to ignore a referendum result because it's not what "we" think is right? I voted to remain but, had there been another referendum, I would have voted to leave a second time around, simply because I was appalled by the arrogant and condescending attitude of the liberal lefties, amongst which I would, at one time, have counted myself. Happy to say I have seen many erstwhile, "friends" and myself in a whole new light and am earnestly working on distancing myself from that type of person from now on.

Susieq62 Wed 15-Jan-20 22:31:12

MerylStreep I have been in the country all my life apart from a year travelling, so yes, I do know what has been going on. The difference between Blair and Cameron was that Blair took the decision to ignore the idea of leaving. Cameron allowed himself to be bullied by Farage who has suddenly gone rather quiet which is very disconcerting.
I accept the result. I don’t like it. I despise those who can drink bubbly on the night of the 31st January knowing there are so many in our country struggling to get from one day to the next. The EU has not caused homelessness either. It was the policies of Thatcher are her cronies who started it by selling off council stock. We never learn do we!!!
I am starting to think we have some very self centred , wealthy,” I’m all right jack women” in this forum. Going to bed now before I explode!!