Gransnet forums

Chat

Itchy Feet, always want to move

(4 Posts)
Hetty58 Wed 15-Jan-20 23:49:36

It may be that you are a perfectionist so always feel that things aren't quite good enough. From that viewpoint, change is refreshing and seems to offer potential improvement.

The reality is somewhat different. There are advantages and disadvantages of living anywhere (by the sea, lovely in summer, not so good in winter - in a hamlet, maybe peace and quiet, but no shops or bus service, few neighbours or amenities). We tend to gain and lose with any change but at least it's not boring.

Being discontent and craving change is just the way some people always are. You might assume that those who avoid change are content, when in fact they are scared of change. An awful lot of people are.

They just miss out on the great big adventure of life. With change being the only certain thing, though, we may as well embrace it!

lilypollen Wed 15-Jan-20 23:38:16

bigmama1960 You and me both. We moved 4 years ago to be nearer to DS and DGC, lovely house and neighbours though DH, after years of work, has actually got a good circle of retired friends which he never had before. My friends are spread out so I can live anywhere and now I have itchy feet.

Chestnut Wed 15-Jan-20 23:21:49

No good asking why you are like that, you just are! You seem to think the grass is always greener somewhere else but when you get there does it live up to expectation? Maybe stop and take time to count your blessings. Think about all the good things in your life and ask whether they really would be better if you changed them. Maybe not. You might move and be next to neighbours from hell. Try and get involved in things where you are instead of seeking them elsewhere. That's how I see it anyway. Good luck with your self analysis!

bigmama1960 Wed 15-Jan-20 22:59:07

I never seem to be satisfied with 'my lot' as they say. I always want to move house, jobs, change husbands. Whats wrong with me?
I have lived in my present home for 6 years, had my current hubby for nearly 15 years ( a record for me).
I have just got back into employment after years of self employment so have a stable job.
We have to rent houses so fairly impractical too! I would love to live near the sea. I feel energised there or in a hamlet, old fashioned type of place but rather silly as I will be 60 this year and will not ever want to move again.
I really want to be stable but dont seem to be able to! why am I like this?