Gransnet forums

Chat

Complimenting strangers.

(86 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 20-Jan-20 19:06:42

I often compliment strangers when I'm out and about.
If a colour or style suits them I say so. Or maybe their children have been lovely, or anything that catches my attention really.
It's completely selfish, as I like to see the surprise and delight it brings.
Leaves me with a little rosy glow that I can use to protect myself against the grey weather, or the bad news that is invariably spouted.

But today for the first time in absolutely years, a stranger complimented me instead. On my hair!

Funnily enough all last week I was debating and edging towards changing it!

Now I'm back on the fence! confused

Evie64 Wed 22-Jan-20 18:33:00

I often compliment strangers if they are wearing something I think looks lovely or have great hair etc. I don't find it in the least embarrassing and it's so nice to see their smiling face. Sadly, old, fat and grey I don't often get them myself, but no matter.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 11:24:32

Calendargirl grin

Thank you for the translation Tooyoung
I will stick a note on the microwave so I remember!

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Wed 22-Jan-20 11:18:35

Callistemon =microwave? Im akways talking to strangers have ended up with some lovely friends that way. Always talk to dogs (and their owners ) & pay complinents. Have had lots of people compliment me on my hair which is nothing special and I only run my fingers through it when i get up sk no styling. Lovely thread smile

Calendargirl Wed 22-Jan-20 10:42:51

On a coach holiday, we were sat at dinner with another couple, didn’t know them, after a day or so he suddenly said what nice teeth I had, white and even!
I was quite flattered, but as I write this sounds like Red Riding Hood and the Wolf!

Callistemon Wed 22-Jan-20 10:07:20

Just checking Google translate

timetogo2016 Wed 22-Jan-20 08:44:26

I`m with CrazyH .
I did it yesterday in Sainsburys a little boy around the age of two smiled at me from his trolley seat he was soooo cute and I told his mother just that.
She beamed and thanked me.
Smiles all round.

Namsnanny Wed 22-Jan-20 01:34:21

Bekind ...It does doesn't it? And here's one back for you.....I love your name! grin

nanamac … I think about what was said to me for ages as well!
Have you thought about putting up some photos of your cooking or makes of any sort?

I know it seems self centred, and you might feel a little awkward at first, but lots of people do that sort of thing now.

If there is no one to appreciate something you have put effort into, perhaps it's a good idea to share the results with others (on here?)
I can assure you, I would be interested!
It's just another way to extend contact really isn't it?

Namsnanny Wed 22-Jan-20 01:16:11

Popty ping Callistemon? smiling and nodding

Namsnanny Wed 22-Jan-20 01:00:56

*Gulligrannie … what a delightful little girl! So funny your husband spoke to her like she was the adult and you were the child!! grin

Callistemon Tue 21-Jan-20 22:56:27

But don't chat to me in Welsh please Phoebes grin
Although I may smile and nod

Phoebes Tue 21-Jan-20 22:26:46

I’m Welsh! I’ll talk to anyone! I compliment people, too, if I see something that deserves one! I love it when someone gives me a compliment, so I like to compliment other people.

SirChenjin Tue 21-Jan-20 21:46:53

What does an obviously kstraight woman look like? confusedgrin

Naty Tue 21-Jan-20 21:38:52

I'm very obviously a straight woman. I once complimented another woman on her beautiful eyes and she blushed, said thank you and the avoided eye contact with me for the rest of the interaction!

Junesun Tue 21-Jan-20 21:05:29

A stranger complimented me on how I'd applied my blusher. She said it was nicely done ?. I said " thankyou, but I'm blushing now !

dianetheartist Tue 21-Jan-20 19:54:36

Just before Christmas I was walking across Tesco carpark, it was a horrible day and I was feeling a bit down--a lady in a mini stopped--wound down her window and shouted to me " Madam you look absolutely gorgeous" she made my day-and year! As a larger lady with very bad health, I have lost a lot of the confidence I had..However, I refuse to be seen without a full face of makeup, hair done and a lovely dress etc. Even if it does take me a couple of hours to do my face due to not being able to hold my hands up for long! She will never know how that made me feel.

Pantglas2 Tue 21-Jan-20 19:08:31

4allweknow - I think as we get older we lose our inhibitions about what folks think and just say what we feel!

If people don’t like it (never had a bad response personally) then move on, not the end of the world is it? Their problem, not mine!

4allweknow Tue 21-Jan-20 18:26:17

I too compliment strangers especially on seeing consideration and kindness. Find I am also sparking to strangers more often nowadays, losing my inhibitions!

Callistemon Tue 21-Jan-20 18:22:43

I usually talk to the dogs as I don't have one with me any more.

Caro57 Tue 21-Jan-20 17:44:18

I offer compliments as well. I was amused at a childrens' Carols service at Christmas my son's new partner was complimented on her eyebrows - she is stunning but it's not something I would specifically pick out from the rest of a lovely face

Lizbethann55 Tue 21-Jan-20 17:20:23

I told a taxi driver his taxi smelt really nice and asked if it was the thing hanging from the mirror. He said that had long since dried up so it must be his scent!?

grannypiper Tue 21-Jan-20 16:52:28

I do it all the time, i remember being in a department store and a young woman was trying on a coat, her Husband was stood beside the pushchair huffing and puffing, he was sulking like a teenager, she was saying how much she loved the coat and hadnt had a new one for years, he replied that it was horrible and didnt suit her and anyway he was going away the following day on a stag do and if they bought it he wouldnt have as muuch money as he wanted to take.
I appeared from behind the handbags and told her she loooked like a model in the coat and was just so gorgeous, her face was a picture( so was his) she smiled, gave me a hug, said thank you and went off to the till to pay for it.

Chardy Tue 21-Jan-20 16:31:11

When the dogs are with me, I invariably talk to other dog-owners. When in a clothes shop, if someone is holding something up to them, and it looks good, I tell them!

On the odd occasion, I've complimented women on their hair or something they're wearing.

But when it comes to babies and toddlers, I run out of complimentary adjectives.

Juicylucy Tue 21-Jan-20 16:21:58

I talk to Absolutely everyone, if I’m in a shop or a queue or petrol station on a train any where really. Drives my DD mad.

grannymy Tue 21-Jan-20 16:14:21

I am happy to compliment strangers. I don't see the point in thinking it and not saying it. A compliment can make someone's day if and when they are feeling low. I know it makes me feel good.

Lancslass1 Tue 21-Jan-20 16:10:31

I often do it.
I once told a lady how elegant she looked after I followed her up an escalator at John Lewis and she burst into tears as it was her Wedding Anniversary and she had dressed that way especially to please her husband who had forgotten the date!
It has happened to me too.
Three times about clothes I was wearing and once about my legs !
Doesn’t half make one feel good!