Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you or can you do this?

(30 Posts)
Artdecogran Tue 21-Jan-20 09:45:36

Do you dry your hair without looking in the mirror? Can you put on your lipstick without looking in the mirror? If you don’t why not give it a try and let us know how you get on. To start us off I have shortish hair and often dry it without a mirror. I can tell how it looks by how it feels on my head. Lipstick is a bit hit and miss. So let’s chat about something silly for a change.

vampirequeen Wed 22-Jan-20 08:54:57

I let my hair air dry but I always use a mirror when putting on lippy otherwise I'd look like the Joker.

timetogo2016 Wed 22-Jan-20 08:51:42

I always use a mirror to dry my hair I don`t wear makeup but if I did I would look like coco the clown if I didn`t use a mirror.

SalsaQueen Tue 21-Jan-20 22:07:01

I wash and blow-dry my hair every morning (it's almost shoulder-length), and wouldn't think of not using a mirror. I also have my full face on every day, so always need to use a mirror.

I find it strange that anyone would not bother to look at themselves. It's not vain, it's making sure I look alright.

watermeadow Tue 21-Jan-20 21:21:19

I don’t dry my hair. Quick rub with a towel then into bed.
I don’t own a lipstick. I only look in a mirror when I’m going out and that’s mostly to check there’s no toothpaste on my face.
As my mother used to say, “No one’s going to stop their car to look at you”

CanadianGran Tue 21-Jan-20 20:19:19

I do my hair in front of a mirror, but often let it air dry, so could do without a mirror if needed.

For lippy, I tend to use tinted lip balm, so it is more forgiving if i slap it on! I have such dry lips, so i use it quite a bit throughout the day, almost always without a mirror! If I am going out and use an actual lipstick, then i will indeed use the mirror to check!

annodomini Tue 21-Jan-20 20:16:20

I scrunch mine when I dry it. It dries in seconds because it's very fine and fly-away. When it's dry, I run a light mousse through it and scrunch it again.

JackyB Tue 21-Jan-20 19:16:02

Like BNNevan and MOMB I just comb it through when wet and leave it. I think blow drying is bad for it, as is rubbing it with a towel.

Back in the 70s I used to put my make up on in the car on the way to work. Didn't take my eyes off the road, I promise!

annep1 Tue 21-Jan-20 19:06:47

Mine is very short and straight.
I blow dry it in front of the wardrobe mirror door. Then I look at the back with a handmirror. If I'm not sure I go into the bathroom where the light is better. If its not perfect I damp it and redo the parts that aren't quite right.
Then I do the same with moisturiser and makeup.
After all this I often only go as far as the local shops!
I must try mirrorless tomorrow.

Urmstongran Tue 21-Jan-20 18:27:30

Easily do lippy without a mirror. Often have. Years ago my lovely mum asked me ‘how do you do that?’ Said ‘it’s easy mum here you go try it’. I passed her my lipstick.

She very tentatively applied it to her lips. She did fine.

I looked at her and said ‘oh god is that where you think you’re lips are?’ She was mortified until I fessed up!

We giggled. A lovely memory I recall from 20y ago.
?

TrendyNannie6 Tue 21-Jan-20 17:52:00

Always dry my hair without a mirror short hair, put lipstick on without looking in mirror too but do check myself in hall mirror before going out the door

BlueBelle Tue 21-Jan-20 17:30:34

I don’t use a mirror for drying my hair as I hang my head down another with short choppy hair. I look afterwards to make sure the shapes ok
Don’t use a mirror for lippy Make sure it’s alright before I go anywhere though
I don’t use a mirror to put my contacts in either

mumofmadboys Tue 21-Jan-20 17:02:06

I am another with short hair. Wash it. Comb it looking in mirror and leave it to dry itself. Never owned a lipstick!

SparklyGrandma Tue 21-Jan-20 17:01:18

I dry my hair naturally and never use a mirror. However, before I leave the house, I always check that I am socially presentable before leaving, in a full length mirror ?

grannypiper Tue 21-Jan-20 16:56:30

Never use a mirror to blowdry my hair or even when i brush it in the morning

grannymy Tue 21-Jan-20 16:15:54

I can dry my hair and put lipstick on without looking in a mirror. I'm actually convinced I could put all my make up on without looking in a mirror. I've done it for so many years. Must try it and hopefully not end up looking like Coco the Clown smile

M0nica Tue 21-Jan-20 16:09:28

I have short straight hair, I just wash it, comb it, without using a mirror, run my hands over it and that's it. No mirror, no hair dryer.

Floradora9 Tue 21-Jan-20 15:41:11

I used to laugh at my mother as she would put lipstick on without looking at what she was doing .It always looked OK but was never a very bright colour.

HettyMaud Tue 21-Jan-20 15:18:23

And this is even worse...... I used to do carboot sales. A few years ago on a particularly cold day I remembered an old coat I'd put in a bag for the next carboot. I fished it out and wore it. Later in the day somebody asked me why I had a "50p" sticker on the back of my coat!

HettyMaud Tue 21-Jan-20 15:16:45

No but I often dress without looking in the mirror. Last week I wore a new skirt and when I took it off in the evening I realised the label was hanging down the back. What I could do with is those mirrors you get in some shops' changing rooms which are set at an angle. I often look okay from the front but not the back or the side.

Willow500 Tue 21-Jan-20 15:10:22

It's long so I dry it without a mirror first then have to look in one to tidy it up. I can do lipstick without looking if I need to but not very often.

I also put my contact lenses in without a mirror much to my husband's amazement - I can take one out if there is something in my eye (they're hard lenses so its excruciating) clean it and put it back without leaving the table grin

TwiceAsNice Tue 21-Jan-20 14:52:26

Give my hair a quick comb in front of small bathroom mirror every morning it’s very short it then dries on minutes. I can , and often do put lipstick on without a mirror. Never go out without lipstick or lipgloss

ninathenana Tue 21-Jan-20 14:48:04

My thin fly away hair needs to be blow dried with mousse or it is just totally flat. I'm sure I could do this without a mirror. I've never tried doing lippy without a mirror. I only wear it when going out in the evening.

BBbevan Tue 21-Jan-20 11:11:42

I don’t dry my hair with a dryer. Quick comb through in front of the mirror and another when it’s dry. Don’t wear lipstick that often, but I have a magnifying mirror to help me .

MiniMoon Tue 21-Jan-20 10:50:20

I don't wear lipstick, but I can dry my hair without a mirror. It's so short that it dries in a few minutes anyway. If I do use a hairdryer, I don't need a brush, just my fingers.

henetha Tue 21-Jan-20 10:41:28

Until recently I have cut my own hair quite often without looking in a mirror. I can't seem to help it! I'm watching tv or something and just pick up a pair of scissors and snip away.
However, one of my granddaughters is a hair-dresser and she spoke to me very firmly recently. I have now agreed never to do that again and she is going to cut my hair regularly, and give me pink streaks now and again (I love pink streaks).
My fingers are still itching over the scissors though........