Gransnet forums

Chat

BT scam call

(22 Posts)
Happygirl79 Thu 23-Jan-20 15:05:10

Register with the telephone preference service and most but not all calls should stop
Its a free service
Ive found it useful

bikergran Thu 23-Jan-20 14:39:43

Nothing to do with BT but my dad had a phone call from someone yesterday about insurance for the stair lift.!

The stair lift was put in via council grant and the council have contractors to service the lift.My parents don't have/need insurance for it.so I presume a scam.

ladymuck Thu 23-Jan-20 14:15:28

Ah, that explains it. I got a call a couple of days ago, but it stopped ringing before I answered it. I didn't recognise the number and have been wondering who it was. It was the number Luckygirl has quoted.
End of mystery and on with my answering machine.

jaylucy Thu 23-Jan-20 11:27:40

My brother usually says "just one moment I'll go and find them" then leaves the phone off the hook for a while before going back and putting the phone down. Sometimes he will go back after a few minutes to say "they are just coming" then leaves the phone off the hook.
He always says that he has visions of some poor person hanging on and not being able to make any more calls!

jaylucy Thu 23-Jan-20 11:23:25

The worst ones were the calls that my late father answered after my mum died - all asking to speak to her. As ,at the time, he was struggling to come to terms with the loss of someone that he had been married to , he found it horrendously upsetting.
I answered one call and asked the caller if they were psychic and he said they were happy to call anyone anywhere(he was Indian, called Steve!!)
We bought a new landline phone with an inbuilt call blocker where anyone has to announce who they are before being put through and you can decide to accept the call or not. Hey presto! no more scam calls !

hazel93 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:13:27

Totally agree ! Any unsolicited call is a scam, no question.
What really annoys me is the attitude of these people - you are home in the day, ergo old and easy prey - the temerity !!

Chestnut Thu 23-Jan-20 11:03:33

I go on the assumption that anyone phoning you is a scam. Because it always is!

Lovetopaint037 Thu 23-Jan-20 11:01:15

Awhile ago I had a BT scam call in which I replied I don’t have BT. The next day I had one from “Virginmedia” giving me urgent codes which I must write down as my internet was at risk. Apparently an engineer would be visiting my home. How do I know you are Virgin I asked. Because we have given you these codes. Well I said, I will ring Virgin and see what they have to say. Of course Virgin said it was a scam. It seemed that as I said I wasn’t with BT they tried Virgin as a possibility.

Teetime Thu 23-Jan-20 09:38:30

We get them too but immediately afterwards put them in the blocked list.

whitefrog632 Thu 23-Jan-20 08:35:05

Thanks for sharing this information. BT scammers have been around for years, but it always worth the time to share about how these scammers work. I have read so many warnings and complaints filed at sites like whycall.me. People should be familiar with them and keep spreading the word to family.

Chestnut Thu 23-Jan-20 00:10:21

Hi Luckygirl. I looked up your number and it says a landline in Barmouth, Wales. I notice you have reported it as 'dangerous'. Strangely it doesn't seem to have been reported before. Some numbers come up with numerous reports of dangerous or harassing activity so it's a very useful website. Still, if you feel it was dangerous then you have done your good deed for the day reporting it!

infoman Wed 22-Jan-20 20:13:31

Scammers are also using Pay pal and Amazon.

Can I request that callers don't hang up.

Just leave the phone of the hook.

This give others a bit of peace,and the scammer will get told off by there team leader for being on the phone too long.

Esspee Wed 22-Jan-20 12:27:22

I make a point of entering into a conversation with these people. The most effective question I find is “Tell me X, does your mother know that you scam people for a living? Is she proud of you?

Sussexborn Wed 22-Jan-20 12:18:17

I had a call early yesterday morning from a girl with a heavy Asian accent whose name was Jenny!

Luckygirl Wed 22-Jan-20 12:15:08

I looked it up in the website you gave Chestnut and it came up with a non-telephone or internet related company - someone must be using their number.

Chestnut Wed 22-Jan-20 12:08:26

This website Who Called Me? is really useful. You can check who called you or enter your own experience with that caller.
who-called.co.uk/

Hetty58 Wed 22-Jan-20 12:04:52

Never press 1 (or anything) as they suggest, just hang up.

glammanana Wed 22-Jan-20 12:02:25

I have had a couple of scam calls this past week,supposed from BT and they say they have left a text message strange in the fact that I don't have text facilities on my landline number,take care you don't get caught out ladies.

annodomini Wed 22-Jan-20 11:38:25

I've had several of these spam calls. As I don't even have a BT connection, it wasn't difficult to put the phone down!

Mapleleaf Wed 22-Jan-20 11:27:34

Yes, they're a nuisance, aren't they? I've had two come through (on different numbers) which, when looking them up, are Amazon Prime scams. I'm glad I've got a call blocker - it's worth it's weight in gold.

Jane10 Wed 22-Jan-20 10:55:39

Thanks

Luckygirl Wed 22-Jan-20 10:40:02

Just had a call from 01341034037 telling me that BT is going to close down my line and internet connection. I put the phone down and reported it.

Just a warning for others.