Gransnet forums

Chat

Where in the world are you?

(103 Posts)
Evie64 Wed 22-Jan-20 18:41:44

Just wondering where all us gransnetters are posting from? I know from being on here a while now that we have GNs in the UK, Australia, USA, France and Spain, but anyone from somewhere else and if so, what's it like to live there?

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 02-Feb-20 21:51:55

Born in Hampshire, lived near Oxford for 41 years, not loving it.

alana2003 Sun 02-Feb-20 19:04:46

Birmingham recently moved back after 10 years in Folkestone

evianers Sun 02-Feb-20 14:03:56

Born Croydon : Switzerland {Winterthur}, South Africa {Jhb}, Oz, {Perth}, Belgium {Antwerpen}, France {Evian-les-Bains}, now in Dorset......where we are staying put!!!!!

Ellianne Sun 02-Feb-20 14:01:42

When I come back for a second life Bradfordlass I am going to choose New Zealand. As you say, it's both the scenery and the people. And your Prime Minister is so nice!

DillytheGardener Sun 02-Feb-20 13:57:39

Urmstongran how I loathe autocorrect!

DillytheGardener Sun 02-Feb-20 13:55:40

Originally a South Londoner but now living in a county in the South East. (Don’t want to put too much info on here similar to Urmstrong)

Grandmaof2 Sun 02-Feb-20 13:45:47

I was born in Wellingbourough and lived in Rushden until around 3 years old. My dad moved us to Islington London then. We stayed there until I was 13 then we moved to Highbury, right next to the old stadium, it was great, seeing the pitch from the kitchen window and watching the matches. I moved around then from age of 17 then settled back in Islington when i had my son at 21 and daughter at 29. I then branched out to East London and then ended up in Barking. Id do anything to go back to Islington now but rents are far too high. Am stuck here now. Ideally, i would like to settle in North Devon, such a lovely place and i visit there quite often

Charleygirl5 Sun 02-Feb-20 13:36:45

I was born and brought up in Fife- I came to live and work in London for a year- it has been a long year- this was in the mid 60's! I live in NW London and love it here.

NumNum Sun 02-Feb-20 13:19:49

Originally from SE England, I've been living in W France for almost 20 years

Daisyboots Sun 02-Feb-20 13:14:48

Born and raised in West London but now living in Portugal (not the Algarve) via Australia, Middlesex and East Anglia.
A very different way of life and very quiet which I like. After twelve years I couldn't imagine living anywhere else even though I am having to have a lot of medical care.

Gillybob yes the north sea is very cold as is the Atlantic Ocean. At the moment it is very rough indeed but I love to just sit in the car watching the waves crashing in.

MiniMoon Sat 01-Feb-20 22:49:43

I live in the Tyne Valley in rural Northumberland, on the edge of a small market town.

QuaintIrene Sat 01-Feb-20 19:54:43

I live in West Yorkshire. Originally from the Holme Valley.

BradfordLass73 Sat 01-Feb-20 19:38:53

I live in the foothills of the Waitakere Ranges and my house will be somewhere in that photo, taken from the summit of Pukematekeo.

Came to New Zealand's South Island in 1973 but a few years later went back to the UK. Lived for a short time in Bradford (my hometown), Bournemouth, Paris and Cornwall. Returning to Aotearoa in the mid-80's.

This is such a peaceful, friendly country in general and as, in 2019 we topped the Human Freedoms list as compiled by the Cato Institute, this is not just my word on it.

I'm happy to live and die here.

grannysue05 Sat 01-Feb-20 10:44:12

Sunshineandsoda and Urmstongran I was born in Stretford ....lived there for twenty years until I moved to London for my job.
All my friends were from Urmston and Stretford (Went to Stretford High)
Was in Park hospital briefly in the sixties.
Now in Cheshire and have lived here for the last forty years.

Callistemon Sat 01-Feb-20 10:25:54

grannypiper I'm confused as I thought Brazil was mainly in the Southern hemisphere not west of Scotland

oliversnana Sat 01-Feb-20 10:11:57

Mountsorrel flipping auto correct

oliversnana Sat 01-Feb-20 10:11:18

Mount sorrel leicestershire. Was born in Leicester City

rubysong Fri 31-Jan-20 17:48:47

Born and brought up in East Yorkshire but have lived in South East Cornwall for over forty years.

Sunshineandsoda Fri 31-Jan-20 16:07:12

I come from Stretford Urmstongran, and I know your area well ?

grannypiper Fri 31-Jan-20 15:16:49

Grannyboots1 I lived in the shires for a long time and left because i just needed to be near the sea, it feels so wonderful

Grannyboots1 Thu 30-Jan-20 16:24:45

Born in Malta, lived in Scarborough, Malta, Cornwall, Malta, Winchester and have ended up in Bedfordshire. I miss living by the sea.

supergirlsnan Thu 30-Jan-20 16:23:38

Live near Dudley, West Midlands. The town itself has gone rapidly downhill but I can be in lovely places like Bridgnorth, Bewdley, Ironbridge in less than 20 minutes. Love the Midlands as so accessible to all the UK.

grannypiper Thu 30-Jan-20 16:11:26

Started in Ayrshire, then lived on mainland Europe, N.Ireland and many many places from one end of Blighty to the other.Now in the hills of S.W Scotland and if travelling in a strait line from my front door the next house you would come across if travelling west would be in Brazil.

Jessity Thu 30-Jan-20 16:10:47

Now back to our roots in South Yorkshire after many years away in East Anglia and Kent.

Willow500 Thu 30-Jan-20 15:29:40

Born in the north in Darlington which I still think of as home even though I left when I was 8 to live on the East Coast. Been in South Yorkshire over 30 years now - hard to think of moving from here but at some point we will probably return to the seaside town we left 40 years ago.