Gransnet forums

Chat

Veterans railcard where is the advantage

(10 Posts)
ExperiencedNotOld Thu 23-Jan-20 19:29:20

MOnica - all service personnel sign on for 22 years, but have exit points at various intervals. They can apply to go in between, usually on a year’s notice, although they will be let go sooner where possible, especially if going to another public service job. Reservists take contracts of a defined length.
The railcard is seen as a recognition of service. The ordinary person with no connection to those that have served on operations in, recently, the Balkans, Iraq or Afghanistan can really appreciate the sacrifice.

MawB Thu 23-Jan-20 17:14:52

My senior railcard had paid for itself many, many times over in the first six months alone.
Now onto the second year with regular trips to Birmingham and London plus a few to Manchester, I must have saved hundreds of ££££££

M0nica Thu 23-Jan-20 16:49:51

The word 'veteran is deceptive. It is used to describe anyone who has served in the forces, even if only a year or two. It does not just mean ex-service people over retirement age.

Many soldiers sign up for on short contracts. 5, 10, 15 years so there are many veterans of working age (25 - 60) who do not qualify for other raul cards. They are too young for Senior travel cards and may not necessarily be travelling with a family, assuming they have one, so cannot use a family card.

12Michael Thu 23-Jan-20 16:37:15

I served in RAF in late 60`s to 77, but I like many have senior railcard , thing is I choose the online option with saving more money on the 3 year one.
Take it the Veterans one may not have that option included .
Mick

V3ra Thu 23-Jan-20 14:18:45

The other various railcards (eg student, senior, friends and family) can be bought using Tesco Clubcard vouchers. Have a look at the Tesco website. It's a good exchange rate as £5 worth of Tesco vouchers gives you £15 towards the railcard. You just cash in as many vouchers as you need. The railcard then gives you a decent discount on the fare.
I also used the Tesco vouchers to pay for Dad's National Express coach ticket from Birmingham to Carlisle over Christmas.
Hopefully this new Veterans Railcard will be included!

suziewoozie Thu 23-Jan-20 14:12:52

It’s a very cheap way to get votes - only £10m a year. The real issue is our expensive rail fares with an increasingly Byzantine system of different rail cards and fare structures.

DoraMarr Thu 23-Jan-20 14:09:19

It will give veterans a 30% discount on rail fares to help in looking for jobs, according to the website. It’s for ex-service personnel, not senior citizens.

MiniMoon Thu 23-Jan-20 13:02:24

When my daughter lived in Glasgow I used to buy a senior railcard. It was useful, but I had to travel several times a year to get my money's worth. I'm not sure a railcard for veterans will be all that helpful.

DoraMarr Thu 23-Jan-20 12:46:32

www.gov.uk/government/news/government-fulfils-promise-to-veterans-with-new-railcard

Dottynan Thu 23-Jan-20 12:37:19

Yesterday Grant Shapps Transport Minister announced a railcard for veterans. Apart from the cost of £21 for the first year and £30 for each following year does anyone know what the advantage for veterans is. The network railcard is £30 and available for anyone travelling of peak