Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(53 Posts)
12Michael Fri 24-Jan-20 06:09:41

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but frosty here in Brackley this morning , hopefully the rest of the day continues the same.
Door painted , its a chocolate brown and with the walls looking a cream colour resembles a Great Western Carriage stock colour from the past.
They have different colour schemes on all floors, gather there maybe a dementia link as it may trigger memories for those who have it.
Today , for me shop and see what happens .
Mick

oldgaijin Fri 24-Jan-20 08:56:22

Good morning from a grey Aberdeenshire. Had great entertainment yesterday, watching a grown man and two laddies trying to extricate a tractor from the muddy park. After much head scratching, they decided the best course of action was to get two more tractors to pull it out...wait till women rule the World!

Nothing more to report and am just off to see GP to see what he says.

Have a good day.

gillybob Fri 24-Jan-20 09:01:13

Good morning from the NE coat where we had a very pretty sunrise .

Decided to change the bedding last night (a task in itself when DH spends most if his life in the bed) and then decided to swap the curtains to the ones that match the duvet cover. Forgot how awkward it was for one person to take the polls down and put them back up again. Another one of those little tasks that takes 3 hands .

I can only imagine the mess you came home to Sark . What a shame. I hope the hole in you ceiling gets sorted soon.

Good luck to all those having blood tests and other hospital visits . Thinking of those feeling poorly or under the weather. DH is seeing the consultant anaesthetist later today so hope he gives him the go ahead for operation next month.

Need to take my dad for his shopping at some point today (which I am working to get down to once a week instead of the usual twice) . He absolutely won’t get it delivered and won’t get a taxi home either . Not sure what he would do if I wasn’t around .

Hope Friday is kind to everyone .

Love Gillybob x

Nannytopsy Fri 24-Jan-20 09:12:30

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It’s grey but dry here in Suffolk again. I feel a need for sunshine!
Sark what a nightmare. I can imagine the mess.
I can’t get the idea of the kitties chasing floating shelves out of my mind ?.

Mommawolf Fri 24-Jan-20 09:26:41

Goodmorning all from a soggy Norfolk not quite as cold this morning. SARK I feel for you what a mess. Life goes out to get you sometimes. I am going with my sister to collect her new puppy today under instruction from DH that No we DON'T need another dog 3 are enough. I cant resist puppies especially collies but Nanook our elderly Husky couldn't cope with a youngster as the"puppy in the pond"proved last week. Hope all who are unwell soon feel better.

conor Fri 24-Jan-20 09:28:03

Good morning from a damp, grey Essex again. Went with two other friends to visit our bereaved friend yesterday evening. We were only going to stay 5 mins but it turned into 5 hours! She is doing surprisingly well although still in shock and there were many moments of fun, laughter and good memories!
Local shop today, then hair appt and call in to see DGSs. Hope everyone has a good Friday xxx

Urmstongran Fri 24-Jan-20 09:31:27

Your dad sounds a stubborn old coot gillybob! Could you alternate the shopping with your sister perhaps? If she doesn’t drive she could pay for a taxi?

Probably not that simple or you’d have already thought about it! Still. Something needs to give a bit here so that you can accommodate your busier life. x

GrannySomerset Fri 24-Jan-20 09:31:41

Dry and grey in North Somerset; late start as nothing in the diary but a 10.30 am meeting of committee of local group which I chair. Must go and get DH up, washed, shaved and dressed when I have finished my tea.hs

Gilly - how did your dad cope when you were tied to your DH’s side for so long? It doesn’t sound as if anyone is cutting you any slack and your health and well being are all important.

Mapleleaf Fri 24-Jan-20 09:35:40

Good morning everyone,

It's a dull but dry morning here at the moment, though we might see some sunshine later. It developed into a beautiful day yesterday.

Oh, Sark, what a shock! We had a similar experience a few years ago but it was our hallway ceiling that came down due to a leak in the bathroom. Luckily, we were just on our way to work when we noticed drips coming from the ceiling so we were able to turn the water supply off, but there was still too much weight of water in the ceiling so the plaster came crashing down.

Happy forthcoming birthday, Harris27 and enjoy your outing today with your son. ??

Fingers crossed for Mr Gilly today, gilly.

I've got a similar image, Nannytopsy ?

Hope today is kind to you all.

Sprout Fri 24-Jan-20 09:38:22

Morning Mick and all. Haven't been able to make a post for a while with moving house etc the morning goes so quickly. But settled down now. Look forward to reading your posts again. Take care everyone

Auntieflo Fri 24-Jan-20 09:39:21

Oldgaijin, good luck for your GP appointment.
Plus, many gold stars for Gilly, and her selflessness. ✨✨✨

Bellasnana Fri 24-Jan-20 09:45:07

Good morning from Malta where it is cloudy and about 15°C.

Went to see 1917 yesterday. Not sure what I thought of it really. I took my friend and we were the only two in the cinema so had a private showing!?

Today I’ve no desire to go out so shall make some soup then do the ironing. I’ve already brushed the dog and run the vacuum round, but need to give the main bathroom a scrub.

Hope you all have a good day.sunshine

gillybob Fri 24-Jan-20 10:07:45

My dad is very stubborn indeed . He WILL not pay for a taxi for his shopping although he could afford to once a week . My sister “does not have the time” to do such mundane things .

I still took him shopping when my DH was in ICU GrannySomerset . Just some how managed to fit it around.

It’s really not too much of a problem once a week (if only he would be a little more flexible with times and days) . Dunno why I’m turning it into one . Typical of me . confused

Nannylovesshopping Fri 24-Jan-20 10:16:20

Dear Gilly, you need to practise after me, ready, I can’t do that today, the more you say it the easier it will become, your sister and your father, although he is obviously elderly, are taking the p..., you are worth so much more than that???

Kalu Fri 24-Jan-20 10:29:16

Good morning all from a dreich day in Glasgow.

Felt a bit flat for a couple of days as my oomph is non existant. Another trip to GP scheduled for a blood test to find out what’s causing this fatigue. So annoying as it’s not like me as I like to be on the go, keeping busy as opposed to sitting doing nothing. Hey ho, this too shall,pass

You’re tractor tale reminds me of a quote oldgaijin ‘The thing about common sense is, it’s not that common” duh.?

Your mention of the big yellow and blue place kitty has reminded me to finally paint a stool I bought there years ago. Well used by GDs and looking it bit tired.

Positive thoughts for all with health issues to deal with and hoping the outcome is good news.
Have a pleasant day all

Beechnut Fri 24-Jan-20 10:34:04

gilly I have to agree with Urmston and Nannyloves shopping. The more you do for them the more they will expect, and when you do say no and they sulk if they do, do not change it to a yes. There are only so many hours in a day and you could do with some of them just for yourself ?x

NannyJan53 Fri 24-Jan-20 11:06:00

I have to agree with others gilly where there's a will, there's a way. Why is it your sister cannot / will not do mundane things? I think from past posts she is single? I may be wrong on that but surely she can do her bit?

I think you have become the one in the family they all depend on, but now it is your turn to look for others in the family for help.

gillybob Fri 24-Jan-20 11:24:45

Yes My sister is single, never married and no children, unless you count her “fur baby” (her words not mine). She has a long term boyfriend and spends some time at his and some at hers . They are often away on weekends etc. She has a huge circle of friends and when she is not at work she always has plans and is quite selfish with her precious time .

I really don’t mind being “the one” that the family rely on , although it would be nice to occasionally get something back. ( by something I don’t mean a physical thing) . I find it almost impossible to say the “N” word . smile

EMMYPEMMY Fri 24-Jan-20 11:35:56

Good morning all you lovely people.
Busy morning, cat to vet, school visit. Coffee with daughter then collect new Mini . Home to take up old carpet, new one fitted tomoz bit of tea then out for the footie.......
Have a lovely day Peeps
Smile and the whole world smiles with you.....

gillybob Fri 24-Jan-20 11:46:05

Wow a new Mini EMMYPEMMY I am soooooo envy . I have an 8 year old mini that I adore . It’s called Boris.

Welcome to the Gransnet Good Morning thread btw smile

BladeAnnie Fri 24-Jan-20 11:48:26

Good Morning (just) - hope everyone has a good day

Kalu Fri 24-Jan-20 11:56:44

A warm welcome to the GM thread EMMYPEMMY.

I loved the red mini I had years ago. Roof rack for pram chassis, toddler and baby in the back, Labrador in passenger seat and a boot crammed with shopping. Happy memories?
Her name was Ruby?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 24-Jan-20 12:08:24

Afternoon all. Oh Sark what a shock for you, hope you get it sorted Gillybob, continued good wishes to you and all GNrs.

It's a relief to be back on line after a few problems with the laptop, thank goodness for the great people at the shop who always help me so nicely.

EllanVannin Fri 24-Jan-20 12:11:04

Good Morning All x

Heavy grey sky again and drizzly too. Not too cold though.

I had to nip out earlier for t.rolls for my nose, I've used so many over the weeks I didn't realise when I looked in the cupboard that there were only 2.
Although the lurgy's gone it's left me with catarrh which in turn is causing dizziness----always something.( rolls eyes )

Hope this afternoon is a success for the Gillybob's and they can get a date for the procedure. xx Also hope that everyone's appointments go according to plan and that all's well. Marydoll, Dragonfly, Oldgaijin Susan and those who were troubled. Mick I hope you're picking up too.

Haven't had any updates yet about the children's father only that he's still in ICU in an induced coma.

Legs55 Fri 24-Jan-20 12:15:52

Good morning (afternoon) from warm,grey uninspiring Devon. Sorry I'm late but GN email only arrived in my inbox 10 mins agoconfused

I had a Mini when I passed my test in 1973, loved it, my 1st of many cars, gave me great freedom as a 17 year oldgrin

I'm supposed to be doing housework at least I've stripped the bed & washer is on but as usual I'm avoiding starting, spending wasting time on GN has proved useful, can't see the point of houseworkblush, the dust only comes back. No-one visiting, no-one to complain except the cat who bring most of the mud into the house.

Hope all of you struggling with health problems & loved ones best wishes flowers

gillybob Fri 24-Jan-20 12:17:17

Hoping and praying for your grand children’s father EllanVannin I know how lucky I was that my DH pulled through. I found it easier visiting my DH when he was in the induced coma than when they brought him round and the confusion , terrors and delirium that followed. Those drugs are very powerful . DH seeing the anaesthetist for a follow this afternoon . He is still having some terrible nightmares and flashbacks . Hoping he gives the go ahead for the next operation but terrified at the same time .

Hope your lurgy clears up soon and hope you are getting those extra soft loo rolls smile