Gransnet forums

Chat

Bowel screening

(14 Posts)
School Sat 25-Jan-20 14:09:53

Hi feeling a bit down just got abnormal result have to go see consultant might have to have a colonoscopy always thinking what they will say

Pollyj Sat 25-Jan-20 14:11:45

Aww. I don't know what to say as I'd be feeling worried like you are - anyone would as we always imagine the worst.

Of course, it could be many things causing the result, treatable and manageable, but I sympathise. The waiting is the worst thing.

suziewoozie Sat 25-Jan-20 14:16:46

I hope you haven’t too long to wait for your appointment.

jacq10 Sat 25-Jan-20 14:23:17

There was a post at the beginning of this month which might help allay your fears. Think this should give you a link to it.

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1244268-Colonoscopy

Chestnut Sat 25-Jan-20 14:24:04

Thank goodness for the screening though. It means you can be checked at an early stage before anything develops. I think that's something to be thankful for. I think my problem would be impatience as I'd want to get it sorted and treated so I could put it all behind me. Waiting is just awful. I hope the wait is short and the outcome is good so you can get on with your life as before.

School Sat 25-Jan-20 21:21:48

Thanks have got to wait a week to see consultant then wait again for colonoscopy its just the worry

Urmstongran Sat 25-Jan-20 21:32:27

I hope all goes well for you School. A friend is in exactly the same situation. He is waiting. He has had no symptoms and said at least whatever it is has been picked up by technology before he even got any problems so he is quite pragmatic about it all. Said it’s better that screening has identified something rather than walking round thinking all is okay.

I know he is right but I think I’d be like you - anxiously waiting. It will be on your mind until you get sorted. I hope it’s nothing nasty. Don’t worry about colonoscopies. With my family history I’ve had 4 now over the years. Nowt to ‘em. Honest.

Doodle Sat 25-Jan-20 21:40:45

school my DH has had several colonoscopies and come through ok. Try not to worry. Just because the result showed something does not mean anything is wrong. They are just checking.

Daisymae Sat 25-Jan-20 22:17:53

One step at a time. My husband was called back and everything was fine. Hopefully it will be nothing, if not at least you're getting treatment.

Tangerine Sat 25-Jan-20 22:19:45

I've had abnormal results for other types of cancer and been called back. It's always been OK.

I hope everything goes well for you too.

It's good that they are careful.

crazyH Sat 25-Jan-20 22:20:35

Hope it's nothing to worry about. Good luck!!!

School Sun 26-Jan-20 06:40:09

Thanks for your lovely comments i will let you all know next week when i see consultant

Iwastoldtheredbecake Sun 26-Jan-20 08:45:21

School, it’s normal to be worried, I had to have a colonoscopy 17th Dec 2018, just before Christmas, I always thought that my problems were piles, Doctor thought so too, until I had to go for the ‘oscopy’ .
The initial consultation is to talk you through the procedure and to give you the laxatives and the times of when to take them. The only thing I would say is to take a book into the loo when you take the second set of laxatives and don’t move, I walked away to get a glass of water and didn’t make it back in time, poor DH spent time with a mop and bucket.......
I opted for the anaesthetic for the procedure and tbh apart from the initial chat with the doctors and nurses, who were so very kind, I don’t remember anything, they all asked me if I wanted to know the result so close to Christmas, I said I did.
They found a large Polyp that was just starting to show changes but they removed it during the procedure, afterwards I was in a side ward with a cup of tea, for half an hour, then DH took me home. The whole thing took 2 hours or so.
I had to have a follow up colonoscopy done 6 months later during which they removed another small polyp, this time without the anaesthetic which I found a bit uncomfortable, but the nurse sat beside me the whole time and told me when to take deep breaths! This procedure took longer because there was a hold up in the department so I was in the side room for a long time, take a book!
This polyp was benign, I’m now under the hospital , so no more screening but another oscopy in a coouple of years.
Yes it was a worry, but it has definitely prevented me from having Colon Cancer.

School Sun 26-Jan-20 12:43:49

Thanks i just carnt stop thinking bout it cause i had back pain and ignored it now am thinking all time and geting myself worked up so i feel realy low