Gransnet forums

Chat

If everybody was good looking?

(11 Posts)
Artdecogran Mon 27-Jan-20 15:23:38

This is not a royal post as such, but looking at Thomas Markle I wondered if he looked like George Clooney, for example, would people be kinder to him. Remember the landlord who was pilloried when his tenant was murdered, he was innocent but picked on by the media because he was.. how can I put this kindly, unusual in appearance. Conversely, watching White House farm programme, was Jeremy Bamber presumed innocent to start with, partly because he was handsome and well dressed. What do you think?

Hetty58 Mon 27-Jan-20 15:31:46

In the traditional books and films for children, the baddies are ugly, the heros and heroines good looking. Children at school have more friends if they are good looking, too. It's part of our culture to be very influenced by appearance, unfortunately.

KatyK Mon 27-Jan-20 15:34:11

Ted Bundy springs to mind. People trusted him because he was good looking and charismatic.

Dec46 Mon 27-Jan-20 15:42:11

I certainly think being well groomed,smartly dressed does predispose people to thinking you will probably behave better too. I guess a lot of Fraudsters use this to their advantage.
I went to a Criminology lecture many years ago and was told I could probably get away with committing crimes for years because No one would suspect me. I didn't put it to the test though so will never know if that was correct!

M0nica Mon 27-Jan-20 17:12:48

But not trust you if you are too well dressed, too well groomed, too charming.

MissAdventure Mon 27-Jan-20 17:24:32

I think its proven that people react better to good looking people.

Its probably to do with producing healthy, viable offspring.. somewhere along the line.

Mind you, I don't find Mr Markle unpleasant to the eye.

Coolgran65 Mon 27-Jan-20 18:10:10

Perhaps the top charming can come across as insincerity.

Coolgran65 Mon 27-Jan-20 18:10:36

Oops....too charming

LadyGracie Mon 27-Jan-20 18:52:11

I'm absolutely gorgeous - but I've no friends and no one listens.

GrannySomerset Mon 27-Jan-20 18:58:22

I have a nice looking and very charming 12 year old grandson. He is very lazy and his father predicts a career as either an estate agent or a con man!

annodomini Mon 27-Jan-20 19:54:54

I had a very charming and good-looking 12-year-old. Unfortunately he is now a stroppy 14-year-old with a dreadful floppy hairstyle. grin