Gransnet forums

Chat

Corona virus and self-isolation

(72 Posts)
MamaCaz Wed 29-Jan-20 08:39:17

I was half-listening to the news earlier, and I heard them say that those being airlifted from Wohan will be examined, and those showing no symptoms asked to self-isolate for two weeks (because I wasnt fully listening, I'm not sure which nationality this related to).

How would that work? It already seems to have been established that this virus spreads before symptoms are present, so it's quite likely that some of those people will be infected (even more chance of that after they fly home together!)
How many of those people will have a home to go to where they will be totally alone? How will they get to that home without putting others (taxi drivers?) at risk? How many will fully observe this self-imposed isolation if feeling ok?

To me, this feels like a ticking time bomb!

MamaCaz Wed 29-Jan-20 10:56:11

I just hope that before they land at Gatwick, there will be enough public (and professional) outcry here to reverse this decision, and to keep every single one of them fully isolated for the necessary time!

humptydumpty Wed 29-Jan-20 10:56:20

I just read on BBC they may be put in a military base.

suziewoozie Wed 29-Jan-20 11:01:31

Me: Would this be an empty military base Matt?

Matt: Good question sw

lucywinter Wed 29-Jan-20 11:03:36

I wonder if there has been a lot of "reporting" on this before the actual plans were sorted out?

cupaffull Wed 29-Jan-20 11:03:47

All those agreeing to evacuation to undergo two weeks isolation at a military base or they can stay where they are in Wutan apparently.
Good decision, better safe than sorry and they will have medical supervision. There's a young couple with a newly born need to come home asap given reported risk is mainly to elderly and very young

Jane10 Wed 29-Jan-20 11:11:15

We travelled during the SARS outbreak. Nothing much to report. We just had to walk past a sort of camera thingy which was apparently taking our temperatures as we left the plane.
Also what happened to the MERS virus?
Somehow we managed!

MamaCaz Wed 29-Jan-20 12:25:28

Thank goodness that either they have seen sense or the earlier reporting was incorrect.

notanan2 Wed 29-Jan-20 13:06:07

People keep saying "what if it was your family wouldnt you want them flown home"

Well what if it was YOUR family that was FLYING them home? Yes they may use military staff to fly but does that make it right?

Self isolation for those unconfirmed to have direct contact is sensible.

Brits are IMO particularly bad at adjusting their routine when infectous so

ananimous Wed 29-Jan-20 13:12:05

I know you probably did not mean it that way but @notanan your sounding racist with your post -

Brits are IMO particularly bad at adjusting their routine when infectous so

lucywinter Wed 29-Jan-20 13:12:56

Oh come on!!!! hmm grin

lucywinter Wed 29-Jan-20 13:13:20

(that to ananimous)

notanan2 Wed 29-Jan-20 13:15:06

Thats not what racist means. I think you meant xenophobic, and it wasnt that either.

Brits ARE bad at self isolating when infectous. Look at the trouble every hospital in the country has every winter trying to keeo away visitors with recent D&V or flu symptoms.

Brits ARE bad at making a plan B.

Other cultures may be better at following instructions like that

suziewoozie Wed 29-Jan-20 13:16:57

I believe the earlier reporting - many of us heard it direct from one of the Brits who had spoken to the FO directly. The Govt is making it up as it goes along. I still don’t understand how they intend to prevent an infected but asymptomatic passenger from infecting others on the plane. Surely logic would dictate that the only ones allowed to travel should be ones who have had no contact at all or gone outside for the two weeks before the flight.

annodomini Wed 29-Jan-20 13:30:52

Now we know that the evacuees will be taken to an empty military base. Presumably medical attention will be available. I wonder if the people on the plane will be required to wear masks as they've had to if they were likely to be in contact with people incubating the virus.

notanan2 Wed 29-Jan-20 13:37:53

Will the people providing the transport, food and services at the base then join them in isolation?

suziewoozie Wed 29-Jan-20 13:43:08

They need to be in individual en-suite rooms with a serving hatch for food and drink, an intercom and a TV/IPad. I expect HMG has sorted this out already.

suziewoozie Wed 29-Jan-20 13:43:59

They will be able to use the IPads to whinge on social media ?

Franbern Wed 29-Jan-20 13:54:36

Okay, sorry I gave misleading information. But even so, 1692 deaths last year from influenza is slightly more than the 130 deaths in China from this new virus. No hysteria about flu each year is there?
Do think that the media builds up hysteria for whatever reasons of their own (makes such good headlines), probably can hide other far worst stories away from the front page.
It does seem as if this virus has a high risk of being passed around, but fatality rate is extremely low.

suziewoozie Wed 29-Jan-20 13:57:52

Minimise away Fran

ananimous Wed 29-Jan-20 14:17:38

I suppose this should cut down any Brexit protesting anyway, so we can all enjoy the nights celebrations. I'm making a EU/UK cake tomorrow - Gonna cut off the EU at 11pm!

lucywinter Wed 29-Jan-20 14:19:47

What will you do with the EU bit? It will be quite big and the piece you are left with will be quite small.

lucywinter Wed 29-Jan-20 14:20:16

Previous post could be quite deep, but it wasn't meant to be. grin

ananimous Wed 29-Jan-20 14:24:54

Lucywintery

You can have the useless big lump grin I'll keep the bit I'm putting a sixpence in wink

suziewoozie Wed 29-Jan-20 14:25:12

anan ?.

lucywinter Wed 29-Jan-20 14:34:27

Any cupcake donations gratefully received.