Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's kind, caring and sharing kitchen.

(1001 Posts)
soop Sat 01-Feb-20 15:03:09

Here we are again. Happy as can be...all good pals and jolly good company.

Whatever we need to share...feel free to join in. cupcake wine brew flowers smile sunshine

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Mar-20 22:01:06

That's a good idea Baggs thank you. Your table runner looks amazing.

I've just watched 'The Problem with Maggie Cole'; rather uncomfortable viewing. I thought it was supposed to be comedyconfused.

Baggs Wed 04-Mar-20 20:48:26

The table runner for my eggy friend is taking shape. I've even managed to do this with my duff shoulder, in very short bursts, and using my right hand where I would normally use my currently duff (though less duff than four weeks ago!) left.
Pic shows the backing and border fabric I plan to use.

smileless2012, websites like cottonpatch.co.uk have quilt kits for making cushion covers. Maybe you could try something like that?

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Mar-20 20:44:30

I think the tone here is great cornergran, just what I was looking forsmile.

cornergran Wed 04-Mar-20 20:30:21

Evening All. Fresh back from a trip across the bridge I’m all of a dither at the goings on in the Kitchen. blush

Hello smileless, good to see you. Hope you aren’t too disappointed in the tone around here and your husband mends speedily. The sick bay is only for those with the ability to obey matron ot run very quickly.

If anyone wants supper I brought some Welsh cakes back with me. We’ve been to Cardiff and Bristol during the last two days and found both unusually quiet so you could well be right ann.

Thank you for taking time to update us carrillion, I’m delighted to hear your husband is progressing well.

I’m sorry you’ve been down in the dumps kitty, hope today has been better and tomorrow will be better still

Another one here envious of your talent baggs, I so wish I was in any way ‘arty’, I’d love to be able to produce creative sewn items. There is a genetic fault I just know there is., I can’t recall my Mum willingly sewing anything. A small and inexpertly embroidered table cloth is a prized possession as I know how hard it was for her to do it. My reputation for danger with a sewing machine is however extremely exaggerated. It was only the once I had to be taken to A &E to have the needle removed from a finger. grin.

The memory is failing, my apologies to those I’ve missed, TOYA, just be careful out there everyone.

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Mar-20 19:40:24

Thanks Doodle. I'll take a look and blow the cob webs off my sewing machine. baggs has inspired mesmile.

Galen you naughty girlgrin. kittylister's only 71 and she'll probably see your picshock.

Doodle it can't be real ..... can it!!!

Nannytopsy Wed 04-Mar-20 19:29:28

I was a quilter but work got in the way. However, now I have retired... smile

Nannytopsy Wed 04-Mar-20 19:06:27

Oh I say Galen! That’s impressive!
Gg I am pleased to see you have your priorities right. Our supermarket was low on pasta and such things today but we did stock up on sherry. ?
Still seeing far too much of our rat ( cheeky litter bugger!) but we have put out bait! ?
TOYA

Doodle Wed 04-Mar-20 19:01:52

Galen ? really!! Is it real do you think ?? ?
pittcity grin
Baggs I love your quilts and wall hangings.
smileless I am a quilter too and I have a book called the Quilters Bible that I found quite useful and there are lots of videos on YouTube you can watch to get you started. It’s a lovely hobby.
TOYA ? ( thinking of you all for smileless and any other newcomers)

Pittcity Wed 04-Mar-20 18:46:54

Did he need a crane Galen?

Galen Wed 04-Mar-20 18:29:17

Couldn’t find it, but here’s a very similar one from Pompeii

annsixty Wed 04-Mar-20 17:47:35

Re Grannygravy's post.
When I did my weekly Sainsbury's order the next two days slots were all taken.
It will be Friday afternoon before I get my delivery.
People must be shunning shopping in store because of "the virus"

Such brighter evenings here, spring must be on the way.
TOYA

soop Wed 04-Mar-20 17:38:57

Galen No No No MacS doesn't know about my caper. I think that he would go into a flat spin if he did so. It was Elegran who should shoulder the blame. blush shock

I'm creeping out of the kitchen. You lot will get me into such big trouble. Remember, I'm still recovering from my nasty tumble. Have pity on me.

TOYA (very fondly) smile and moon

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Mar-20 17:32:01

Just read your post to Mr. S. soop and he laughed so much I though he'd burst his stitches.

Sorry kittylester in that case I'd better not post a pic of
Mr. S. in his surgical stockingsgrin.

We saw the brothel at Pompeii Galen but I was more fascinated by the evidence that they had sliding doors. I know, how sad am Isad.

Galen Wed 04-Mar-20 17:17:37

I must see if I copied it to my photos. Probably in the album that contains the photos I took in the brothel at Pompeii

kittylester Wed 04-Mar-20 16:41:19

Oooohhhher! I think I missed it.

You are clever baggs. I have a friend who quilts, I am useless at that sort of thing. I'm only 71, though, so something I am good at might appear. grin

Can we have less talk of sex please smileless. As I said, I'm only 71! blush

Galen Wed 04-Mar-20 16:34:36

I think you ought to repeat that photo Soop, those of us that saw it thoroughly enjoyed it!

soop Wed 04-Mar-20 16:21:56

Smileless2012 Sooooooooooooooooo...MrS looks like a sexy beast in his surgical stockings. There is room in the Kitchen Gallery for a wee photo. Once upon a time, my husband, MacSporran wore a mini sporran (nothing else) I shared a pic for all of five minutes. The entire kitchen fell into disarray. I believe that Elegran made me do it. grin

Smileless2012 Wed 04-Mar-20 16:00:58

That's a good tip, thanks Charleygirl I can see why you were a brilliant matron.

Wish I'd known about the vacant bed earlier soops. Mr. S. and I have just had to fight to put a clean pair of surgical stockings on him. They were sooo tight I didn't think we'd manage it. Then we both fell about laughing when I said what a sexy beast he isgrin.

I'm clearly not matron material if I can hardly manage a pair of surgical stockingsblush.

Aren't you clever Bags the quilts are beautiful. Something I've always fancied doing but never got around too. Are there any books you could recommend for quilting beginners. I could do with a project as I have so many days where I don't feel as if I've really accomplished anything.

Galen Wed 04-Mar-20 15:47:19

This is the quilt that the clever Bags made for me. It’s much admired

soop Wed 04-Mar-20 15:20:31

I've found the wall hanging that Baggs created for me. I love it.

Charleygirl5 Wed 04-Mar-20 15:10:38

GrannyGravy I am like you, I also will have a surfeit of clean clothes and wine. I could rake up a few meals from the freezer but not many. I may just retire to bed and read my book if needs must.

I must order dry food for somebody who would not understand the meaning of the word starve and I can pick it up at the local Pets at Home. They do not sell the food because it is prescription only but it is a handy click and collect.

soop Wed 04-Mar-20 15:04:08

Susan56 I'm very happy to hear that your birthday treat was a great success.

kitty I am hoping that you are feeling more cheerful today. The weather here is glorious. One of the best days in a long, long, long while.

Hello eilyann, Our posts crossed yesterday afternoon. It is lovely to wander into a bustling kitchen. It appears that folk started calling in well after I had logged off. A day without you lot doesn't make sense.

soop Wed 04-Mar-20 14:56:35

Thank you, fennel for the charming video. I shall never get the tune out of my head. Been doing the rounds all morning. Time for a coffee and catch-up.

Baggs The wall hanging that you created for me, is one of my most prized possessions. If I can find the photo, I shall share with the kitcheners.

Carillion01 Thank you for bringing us up to date. Your husband has had very serious and complicated surgery. You have been a wonderful support throughout. May his progress continue day by day.

Charleyg The post for a severely strict matron remains open. No salary. Just the satisfaction of doing a job that no-one in their right mind would contemplate. grin

GrannyGravy You are one super-charged grannie. I raise my hat to you.

Nannytopy There isn't as much as a cheesie crumb left. I guess that I shall have to ask you to hide any you bake in future in the cupboard where the chocolates are hidden. I've checked that cupboard. Nothing to tempt me. What is the world coming to? hmm

GrannyGravy13 Wed 04-Mar-20 14:51:30

I am wilting...........I did go to the gym, then straight to Sainsbury'. The shelves were empty, the poor staff were doing their best to refill them. I got wine and laundry detergent and softener, I then succumbed to buying some frozen veggies (no idea why as we only eat fresh?)

Whilst driving home I had a call from our very nice pharmacist asking if I could pop in for my pneumonia jab as he had managed to get some, so I popped in and got that over and done with.

If we have to self isolate I have wine, spirits and mixers along with frozen veg, I will also have clean clothes grin

soop Wed 04-Mar-20 14:40:19

A very warm welcome dear Smileless. As you will know, us lot have a poorly chaps' wing. It's not a holiday, mind. The new matron, whoever she may be, is as fierce as a tiger and stands for no nonsense. I have booked your dear husband into the vacant bed. There are rules. Far too many to mention. grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion