Chat

Nextdoor

(23 Posts)
Sparkling Tue 04-Feb-20 17:34:05

Has anyone joined Next Door. I wondered if it was safe. Thankyou

midgey Tue 04-Feb-20 17:37:17

What is it?

Sara65 Tue 04-Feb-20 17:39:01

I did, but I left. Didn’t like the nosy interfering nature of it.

NannyJan53 Tue 04-Feb-20 17:39:16

I did, but cancelled almost immediately as others could pinpoint my exact address. I was on a site called Streetlife, but it was sold to Nextdoor and lots of us cancelled when we realised. This was 2 or 3 years ago, so maybe they have changed that now?

Keeleklogger Tue 04-Feb-20 17:45:24

I’ve been on quite awhile now it’s safe and most of it is advertising local things for sale. Also people ask for help re general jobs they need doing about the house and local tradespeople reply

Grannyknot Tue 04-Feb-20 17:52:35

Our local Nextdoor is excellent. My info is only visible to my immediate neighbours (it's optional whether to connect more widely to other neighbourhoods). I would never post anything on there about going away, or being out for the day. It's mostly posts about recommendations, be it for a nanny, or a roofer etc or a new cafe, home bakers etc. It also serves as an alert when there are burglaries in the area. I mainly lurk on there and use it for info only.

Suki70 Tue 04-Feb-20 18:01:53

I used to belong to the Streetlife site until it closed and Nextdoor took its place. Most of the Streetlife people left when we found out our address could be seen. Since then a number of local sites have started up, run by volunteers, which perform the same function - local news, recommendations, things for sale and wanted etc. They work well.

Patsy70 Tue 04-Feb-20 18:05:31

Yes, I am also on Nextdoor, and find it useful, as Grannyknot says above, for local information re traffic, roadworks, recommendations for cleaners, plumbers, restaurants etc., within the immediate vicinity. I have advertised items of furniture etc. for free, which have found a new home. I was on Streetlife, prior to the change, and was initially reluctant to subscribe to Nextdoor, but it has proved worthwhile to me.

Ellianne Tue 04-Feb-20 18:13:03

Yes, really useful for local tradesmen recommendations, lost dogs, suspicious people etc.
Never had any problems regarding security.

Charleygirl5 Tue 04-Feb-20 18:21:00

I am very careful what I do post- it is usually to find a local electrician or whatever. I do not like the idea I can be identified- I have never liked my address being in full view and easily seen.

I would never mention anywhere I was eg going out tomorrow for the day.

Sar53 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:09:58

Yes I have joined Nextdoor. I have joined a social group, started by a local lady, and 18 of us met up for lunch today. Mostly Nextdoor is used for recommendations for plumbers etc.

Greymar Tue 04-Feb-20 20:12:15

Oh , disappointed now. Thought it was going to be a tale of swingers.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 04-Feb-20 20:12:31

Yes ours seems pretty good and there are folk on there that don't also use Facebook

kircubbin2000 Tue 04-Feb-20 20:16:52

I tried it but no one answered my queries. Not many on it in my area. I was intrigued when I noticed lots of the tradesmen gave their address as 'The ranch, an area I was not familiar with. Then I realised they meant the local estate.....where cowboys live!?

Chewbacca Tue 04-Feb-20 20:29:24

Tried it and have since de registered because the notification pop up emails were incessant and mostly of no interest. Local community Facebook is of more use and interest.

Saxifrage Tue 04-Feb-20 20:31:48

I belong and have found it really useful as others have said. Local planning issues, road problems, police notices get aired and discussed. Dogs and cats seem to get found very often. I have also bought very useful items cheaply eg a good pushchair when I needed one for a grandchild. Lost keys purses etc or misdirected post also gets reunited with their owner.

Sparkling Tue 04-Feb-20 20:34:07

Thank you all

FlexibleFriend Tue 04-Feb-20 20:35:56

I did and then I left. It was all about break ins and cars being nicked off drives. I live in a pretty low crime area but you wouldn't think so reading the posts on there.

Moocow Tue 04-Feb-20 20:36:38

Does it mean anyone who joins can see your name and address?

FlexibleFriend Tue 04-Feb-20 22:03:51

It shows name and name of road.

MissAdventure Tue 04-Feb-20 22:07:57

I didn't want that much info about myself for people in my neighbourhood to see.

It's a shame, because I've heard its quite a good way of finding maintenance services and so on.

Streetlife was just beginning to really take off when the changed it. I miss it.

FlexibleFriend Tue 04-Feb-20 22:18:11

Yeah there's lots of questions asking for someone to fix your loo or clear your gutters etc and they get quite a few recommendations etc. but it made me a bit paranoid about the number of break ins etc while people were at home etc. yet no one I know has ever been burgled etc. Turns out most people apparently don't lock their doors. I feel way more relaxed about not knowing these things which makes no sense to me but I've never been burgled, have dogs and always lock everything and have a house alarm. Worrying won't help.

NanTheWiser Tue 04-Feb-20 22:45:50

Yes, another who was on Streetlife, now on Nextdoor, for all the reasons mentioned above. I'm not too paranoid about the privacy, and have turned off all notifications, but it's been useful when disposing of unwanted items, and finding out what's going on in the area. I'm also on a local Facebook page for our local Broadway shops.