Gransnet forums

Chat

* Kirk Douglas dead at 103!*

(40 Posts)
fatgran57 Thu 06-Feb-20 01:20:56

That's all really but what a great age and his wife (now widow) is 100.

He made such a good and determined recovery from a stroke many years ago also.

Starlady Fri 07-Feb-20 06:13:48

Sigh... so easy to accuse a man when he's dead. And Natalie Wood is gone, sadly, too, so we can't ask her. But I'm certain a lot of actors have overstepped their bounds over the years and thought it was ok/that was "the way things were done" in Hollywood. Some of the women probably thought so, too, even if they were upset by it. That may be why some of them took till now to speak up.

Of course, I'm deeply sorry if any woman was harassed by him, even if she didn't know at the time that this was truly out of line. And, of course, if her molested or raped Wood or anyone else, that's horrible!

But I'm going to take it all w/ a grain of salt since he's gone now. If nothing else, he was a wonderful actor. And how awesome that he and his wife both lived to such a very ripe old age! (They lived to see one of their sons - Eric, I think - pass on a few years ago though - that's so sad.) Not sure if DH and I could stand each other that long, LOL (kidding), but I hope that Kirk and his DW were happy.

tiredoldwoman Fri 07-Feb-20 06:13:29

I hope The Vikings is shown this weekend . I loved it when I was wee ( still do )and ran around throwing axes for days .

Lyndiloo Fri 07-Feb-20 03:07:33

Heard on Radio 4 that quite a few accusations of sexual abuse against Kirk Douglas are coming to the fore now. The women in question must be quite old now. Why did they wait so long?

Of course, I feel very sorry for any woman who has been raped or sexually molested in any way.

But lately I find myself asking, with some accusations, 'Is this really 'sexual abuse'? Like a young woman recently who accused a man of sexual abuse because he 'tried to kiss me'. (Isn't this what all young men do, when they fancy a girl?) It's not abuse - it's 'chancing your arm'!

Anyhow (I've gone a bit off thread here) I do hope that Kirk Douglas wasn't a sex offender. I imagine, because of his looks and star status that he was 'a bit of a lad', but I do hope that all of this recent gossip doesn't ruin his reputation of being a great actor, with many wonderful films to his name.

absent Fri 07-Feb-20 02:10:21

Standing up to McCarthyism and hiring black-listed screen writers is what won him the US Medal of Freedom – a rather worthier cause than Rush Limbaugh's lifetime of bigoted and deeply offensive broadcasts.

MawB Thu 06-Feb-20 22:30:40

An amazing age - not quite sure what warranted the exclamation in the thread title though.
Perhaps “Still alive at 103!” might have merited surprise, but “dead at 103” ? Not that surprising.

GrauntyHelen Thu 06-Feb-20 21:19:05

Good actor but an aggresive man an adulterer and possibly a rapist too

MissAdventure Thu 06-Feb-20 21:03:40

I was at work this morning and passed the tv, which was showing him as a young man with his top off.
He looked absolutely stunning.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 06-Feb-20 20:33:14

Really liked him. Loved Lust For Life.

Peardrop50 Thu 06-Feb-20 18:54:48

I'm Spartacus

Camelotclub Thu 06-Feb-20 16:50:28

he was one of the few true Hollywood stars left.

M0nica Thu 06-Feb-20 15:47:59

....and he stood up to McCarthyism and helped to destroy it when he employed a writer on the black list to write the script for Spartacus.

Aepgirl He set up the production company to enable him to make the films he wanted to be in. Including Spartacus and The Viking, Paths of Glory. His was one of the first and most successful of a series of actors who set up their own production companies I suggest you read this link wcftr.commarts.wisc.edu/exhibits/kirk-douglas-papers/kirk-douglas-and-bryna-productions he had to start his own production company so that he would have work. Not really!

TwiceAsNice Thu 06-Feb-20 15:21:42

Yes great age and I loved the film Spartacus. He and his wife had been married 65 years. That’s a milestone in itself. RIP

flash1701 Thu 06-Feb-20 14:26:36

RIP Kirk Douglas, great actor, my favorite movie was
"The. Viking"

Oldwoman70 Thu 06-Feb-20 13:51:34

As far as I am aware Natalie Wood did not name who it was. She did say she wouldn't stand anywhere near her attacker and there are several photos of her happily chatting to Kirk Douglas.

BlueSky Thu 06-Feb-20 13:32:00

What a fantastic age and what a fantastic life! And he's still had his wife aged 100? How's that for luck?

CraftyGranny Thu 06-Feb-20 13:27:35

Yes Callistemon, I remember recently seeing a picture of him with his family celebrating his birthday. RiP

3nanny6 Thu 06-Feb-20 12:40:25

To hear that news this morning was sad.

Memories of Kirk Douglas to me are:

You are Spartacus
You will always be Spartacus
It is a film that I could tirelessly watch everyday,

You were a Legend and irreplaceable
R. I. P.

Fennel Thu 06-Feb-20 12:34:15

What an amazing life!
As a teenager, I was in love with him blush. Saw all his films.

Dee1012 Thu 06-Feb-20 12:28:18

When I mentioned his death to my son, he pointed to a series of posts about the alleged attack on Natalie Wood also links to another actress, Jean Spangler (she disappeared in very mysterious circumstances).
If there is truth in the allegations, then quite rightly, it should be there but I'm always uncomfortable about the "after death" issue.
Why didn't all of those so concerned about it, post earlier?!!

4allweknow Thu 06-Feb-20 11:58:19

Look forward to a Kirk Douglas season on tv. Such a great age. Bound to be a Hollywood day of mourning at his passing.

Auntieflo Thu 06-Feb-20 11:49:01

I still have the programme for Spartacus, that we saw in a London cinema.
Also loved the music to The Vikings.

GrannyAnnie2010 Thu 06-Feb-20 11:38:51

I was spellbound when I saw Vikings, and was convinced it was filmed in real time - so brilliant was the acting.

Anniebach Thu 06-Feb-20 11:35:37

3 Oscar nominations - a rubbish actor !

Aepgirl Thu 06-Feb-20 11:33:14

Yes, good life, but rubbish actor, which is why he had to start his own production company so that he would have work.

schnackie Thu 06-Feb-20 11:24:10

Yes, Oldernewgranny, I was completely unaware of this allegation, until a friend posted on FB, an RIP for Kirk Douglas followed by a lot of pictures of the beautiful Natalie Wood. Several of us had to ask for an explanation. As long ago as that must have happened, I don't doubt Natalie Wood, but if he sorted himself out and was not a repeat-offender surely we can admire his career and longevity.