Gransnet forums

Chat

Inner monologue

(94 Posts)
Yennifer Thu 06-Feb-20 14:48:16

I learnt something very interesting today, not everyone has an inner monologue. Some of us think things through in our heads and can have conversations with ourselves while others think very differently in images and emotions and have to verbalise what is on their minds. I find this hard to believe! How do you think?

SirChenjin Tue 11-Feb-20 17:01:15

I’ve no idea if it’s northern - I live in Edinburgh so not northern England and not northern Scotland.

anniezzz09 Tue 11-Feb-20 15:47:07

Not an expression I've heard, is it northern? Sounds a bit rude.

SirChenjin Tue 11-Feb-20 15:30:59

Bumping your gums means talking with no meaning or value to the conversation grin

Yennifer Tue 11-Feb-20 13:57:25

I've had intrusive thoughts. Because I have anxiety I will imagine all sorts of bad things happening just because omeone didn't call or is late. I have to tell myself off x

anniezzz09 Tue 11-Feb-20 13:49:11

What is 'bumping her gums'? Sounds painful!

Greeneyedgirl Tue 11-Feb-20 13:38:49

Thanks for that info MOnica I didn't know the phenomenon had a name. It was interesting to read about it, and also good to know I'm not alone!

Rufus2 Mon 10-Feb-20 12:49:32

can have conversations with ourselves
Yennifer I'm schizophrenic too, and I must say our conversations have moved up to a higher level since enlisting with Gransnet! grin grin
OoRoo from me and Cheerio from him!

Callistemon Sun 09-Feb-20 22:29:33

BradfordLass grin

BradfordLass73 Sun 09-Feb-20 21:31:39

Rufus2 I know people who can't even talk and think at the same time

Yep, one of them is currently in The White House smile

SirChenjin Sun 09-Feb-20 20:21:46

Thanks so much for that M0nica - I’ve had a quick read and it all makes complete sense now.

M0nica Sun 09-Feb-20 20:17:38

SirChenjin another who like you has intrusive thoughts about driving into other cars, or stabbing someone when I am preparing food and using a sharp knife.

This phenomenon is called the 'Call of the Void' and if you google it there is a lot of information about it

rosecarmel Sun 09-Feb-20 17:11:31

I have a combo, inner monologue, images, or both-

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 09-Feb-20 16:54:06

MOnica one thing DH is good at is remembering meals , he can recall a good restaurant and a meal from donkeys years ago. He’s amazing at mental arithmatic but gets bored easily. I still need to ask him about the visualisation thing.

I once read that to switch off to get to sleep, you just repeat the words then,the,the’ over and over, it does work but crikey it takes a lot to switch my thoughts off to accomplish it.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 09-Feb-20 16:21:38

What an interesting thread, and how diverse our brains are in how we think and visualise.

I am like you SirC often having those type of thoughts, but they don't concern me because they are just thoughts which I would never act on.

I do meditation, and have learnt that for very short periods, you can train your mind to cut off busy thoughts and inner dialogue, but it does take lots of regular practice.

SirChenjin Sun 09-Feb-20 16:06:12

I’ve just found it and before I opened it I’d bet myself I’d find a certain poster on there bumping her gums - and I was right grin. It’s a great thread smile

Cabbie21 Sun 09-Feb-20 16:03:55

I think in words all the time, but I would nt say it is a conversation.
I don’t really do pictures, though I can if I make an effort.

Many years ago I was in a group where we had to study a newspaper and report back on certain things. I know I was unusual in that I had not looked at or retained anything from the pictures in it. Since this discovery I know I have to make a special effort to see the pictures.
On the same course, we were taken ( with our eyes shut) on an imaginary journey. At the end, there was a prize, a package to open. I was the only person who didnt get a prize. I have no idea what this means. Weird.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Feb-20 15:59:05

I've just bumped it.
Its called the imp of the perverse, after Edgar Allan Poe wrote about it.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Feb-20 15:56:06

Someone decided to take exception to just about everything that was written.
Decided I had been horribly bullied, and I browbeat everyone. smile

SirChenjin Sun 09-Feb-20 15:54:08

Oh I missed that - I wish I’d seen it. What happened that it got spoiled?

MissAdventure Sun 09-Feb-20 15:52:45

I made a thread about that very thing a few days ago.

There were a few of us, and the jumping from heights was quite common.

Its a shame the thread got spoilt; its interesting.

SirChenjin Sun 09-Feb-20 15:02:29

I have a constant monologue going on in my head and have endless conversations with people. I also get quite intrusive thoughts which are quite upsetting - eg I’ll be driving along and a lorry will be coming towards me and I’ll think about what would happen if I drove head on into it, or I’ll be at the top of a tall building and worry I’ll step off it. I thought everyone thought like that but I mentioned it in passing once to my family and they were horrified.

HiPpyChick57 Sun 09-Feb-20 14:17:21

When asked to spell anything in my head I see a board and I write the letters of the word on it as I say them out loud. I “see” letters words and numbers in colour.
My dreams are so vivid it’s like I’m “tripping” in my sleep with all little cartoon characters running around super fast and in glorious colour.
I’ve always got an inner monologue going on. Like others have said I thought it normal. I just can’t imagine having an empty silent head.
I always made up stories for my daughter when she was little.
I’m often the heroine of stories in my own head when bored.
So it seems I can relax now in the realisation that I’m not “ barking”
Well maybe I am a little bit lol.

M0nica Sun 09-Feb-20 10:47:44

Oopsadaisy I read your comments about your DH with interest. My DH, and even more DD, who has a mind that seems to wipe clean every 5 years like a dodgy disk drive, yet she can remember in detail the decor of every bedroom she has had since early childhood; wallpaper, curtains, carpets etc. She also suffers from face-blindness. It has been assessed and she is the bottom 5% of the population for recognising faces she has seen before.

Callistemon Sun 09-Feb-20 10:32:07

Mine is visual and verbal too, not just a monologue but sometimes an imaginary dialogue with another person.

Yes, I picture a map for directions anniezzz and other visualisations. I can see a map as I type this. It's got the wind direction of this storm on it on it!

And, like NanKate, my inner monologue sometimes becomes verbal, it helps if I'm looking for a certain item if I'm shopping for instance.

Sometimes it is all very annoying and I try to make some kind of order of it; what BradfordLass says is interesting about different layers of thought going on at the same time.

I was always told I was a 'daydreamer' when I was a child but
I must have been concentrating on my education too, but on another level!

Rufus2 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:11:52

Most of us can carry at least 2 threads of thought
Bradfordlass73 Congratulations! You don't look a day over 72 hmm
I know people who can't even talk and think at the same time! grin
OoRoo