Gransnet forums

Chat

Wot! No candles?

(45 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 07-Feb-20 13:56:22

Storm Ciara is on the way so as we're often susceptible to power cuts I thought I'd better stock up with candles while in Tesco this morning.

I headed off to the aisle where they sell firelighters, matches etc.. That's where you'd find ordinary household candles surely?

Nope!

After trekking up and down various aisles I asked a shelf stacker where I could find candles. I resisted the temptation to do a Ronnie Barker and ask for four candles because she looked far too young to know what I was on about and definitely wouldn't think there was a joke in there somewhere.

'Oh yes.' she said. 'They're in the clothes section.'

'Eh?'

I told her I'd looked where I thought they'd be and would never have gone to the clothes section in a million years.

'I know,' she said, 'But they're right at the end of the clothes section and nobody knows where that is so if I say clothes at least people go in the right direction. There's no aisle number there, you see?'

I knew exactly what I would find when I got there. Scented candles of every size and description. Not a plain old shove it in an empty wine bottle type to be seen.

I CBA to ask again so I bought some tea lights instead. grin

BradfordLass73 Wed 12-Feb-20 22:10:38

Chestnut I had a night-light just like that way back in the 40's and 50's. What memories.
Candles are often sold in hardware shops - do any of them still exist in the UK?

For the next storm, this is safer than a wine bottle. Damp the cloth before wrapping it around the candle.

M0nica Wed 12-Feb-20 06:58:02

LightAmber we had that problem about 20 years ago when we first moved to this village. Half the village had a stable supply of power. We were in the half that didn't, and like you I had matches and candles in every room,

About 10 years ago, they renewed all the distribution cables in our half of the village and our problems ceased.

Last year we had to go through the winter with an unreliable gas supply. Water was getting in the mains and they didn't know where from. First time out we were gasless for over 5 days and then a day every few weeks thereafter, but come the summer they renewed the gas mains and we now have a reliable supply

LightAmber Mon 10-Feb-20 20:24:26

We have candles and matches in every room because we have frequent power cuts. Usually straight after I've finally reset the cooker clock days after the last power cut!

M0nica Sun 09-Feb-20 17:28:05

minimoon I think your post comes under the 'couldn't have made it up' headings. The Co-op and presumably other stores cannot sell household candles because of HSE, when every other shop seems to sell decorative and scented candles, which are the cause of fires because people put them round the house to scent rooms etc and are then far more likely to put them places where they can set fire to curtains etc, or be forgotten and burn through to set plastic baths on fire, while a houseold candle mainly use to rub on drawer runners to ease then or to provide light are banned.

Auntieflo Sun 09-Feb-20 08:27:35

Did anyone else like to play with the warm, melted wax, and then mould it into shapes?

Beechnut Sun 09-Feb-20 07:01:36

Torches and battery operated lights for me.
My brother and I have a shared love of torches.

BlueBelle Sun 09-Feb-20 06:46:28

I have a wind up torch by my bed no ones mentioned them I bought it when I used to go camping Handy and doesn’t wear out or set the house on fire

lilypollen Sun 09-Feb-20 00:07:12

artdecogran batteries give out but a supply of candles and box of matches have more staying power!

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 16:47:06

I know you're joking, lemongrove but yes, I have done that.

There's always one grin and it's often me.
It's not too bad after the initial shock!

Chewbacca Sat 08-Feb-20 16:44:54

Perhaps we enjoy spilling hot wax down ourselves

That made me snort my coffee lemon! grin

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 16:38:38

I was just about to climb into the attic to retrieve the Christmas candles but then I noticed a lovely candle in a tin beside me in the conservatory, never lit - it must have melted in the heat a few times because there are a couple of dead ants embalmed in the wax.

JenniferEccles Sat 08-Feb-20 14:27:27

I managed to get some normal chunky candles today from M and S near here, just in case of a power cut.

They had plenty in various sizes and thickness but it is one of their larger branches.

Artdecogran Sat 08-Feb-20 14:21:53

Oh Lemongrove, I am having a really bad day today and now I’m crying with laughter instead of just crying. THANK YOU ?

Chestnut Sat 08-Feb-20 14:20:14

They even had candles on Christmas trees! ? I think I'd be a nervous wreck but I suppose they just thought it would be easy to stop a 'small' fire if one fell over.

Chestnut Sat 08-Feb-20 14:17:50

Lemongrove ???

MiniMoon Sat 08-Feb-20 13:27:09

DH works in the Co-op. They are not allowed to sell household candles any more. They are a fire risk. Good old health and safety!

lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 13:13:11

Perhaps we enjoy spilling hot wax down ourselves Artdeco
As well as fumbling to light matches and dropping them on the cat.Then there is the flickering and smoking and the inexplicable dwindling of the wick before it dramatically goes out, leaving you in inky darkness.
No battery candles can compete with the drama ( and that’s even before we set light to the curtains.)?

Artdecogran Sat 08-Feb-20 12:30:42

The little night lights are, you can even get some that flicker! And different colours!

annsixty Sat 08-Feb-20 12:15:41

But not so romantic ?

Artdecogran Sat 08-Feb-20 12:13:21

Why are you all using candles? Shouts in horror! They are dangerous, so easily knocked over and anyway give a poor light. Nowadays there are such things as battery operated lights! You can have little imitation nightlights or more powerful lights that light a room. Much safer and you can move them around without getting burnt. Get with the times Ladies and Gents!

Calendargirl Sat 08-Feb-20 12:01:22

Have posted this on another thread also. I still have a stockpile of candles which my mother purchased in the Winter of Discontent and the 3 day week.

annodomini Sat 08-Feb-20 10:19:26

Some of the cheaper scented candles are horrid and you have to pay the earth for a really good one. During the three day week, one of DS2's first words was 'cangol'!

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-20 10:14:49

I won't remind DH though or he'll be sending me out for paraffin. hmm

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-20 10:13:29

We've got one of those, Chestnut.

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-20 10:12:08

I always find the more prepared I am the less likely we are to have a power cut.

I'm quite happy to deny myself the dubious pleasure of leaping out of the chair when the lights go off, tripping over the barking dog, fumbling for the torch which I hope is still in the place it should be (on the top shelf of the bookcase) opening various cupboards and doors looking for gas lamps and candles and hoping there are some recharged batteries for the radio.

Then just as the last candle is lit, the dog has calmed down, DH has stopped shoving extra logs on the woodburner, the radio has spluttered into action and I've poured a large wine the lights come back on! grin