Gransnet forums

Chat

M&S

(51 Posts)
Nanabanana1 Fri 07-Feb-20 18:47:05

What’s happened to Marks & Spencer? Been to Chester Store today wouldn’t buy any of the clothes so dowdy and old fashioned.
Think they need a new fashion buyer.

NotTooOld Sat 08-Feb-20 21:27:12

We should start a petition: 'Bring Back the Real Marks and Spencer! We want fashionable clothes in great colours and natural fabrics!'

Daisyboots Sat 08-Feb-20 20:48:27

The only things I have purchased iin M&S over the last 5 years have been some stretch pull on trousers that come in black or navy blue. I have gone down several sizes but have been wearing the size 20 for 4 years and they still look like new. They wash well and never need ironing. In fact a friend asked me about them, ordered a couple of pairs and likes them too.
I decided to treat myself to some new sweaters this year so looked on M&S website. They all looked too short. So I looked online at Bon Marché and bought about 6, all a nice length (I am 5ft10), very soft and have washed well. All at a fraction of the price of the M&S sweaters

JuliaM Sat 08-Feb-20 13:05:12

Apparently they rely on their food hall sales to prop up the rest of the business, although our local food hall is housed in a disused supermarket , and has very few customers and always heaps of reduced items going out of date. The latest news is that M&S will be closing down many unprofitable stores over the next five years, leaving many city centres with out a branch , something never heard of 25yrs ago.

jo1book Sat 08-Feb-20 11:56:39

Their Ethos is good. though, is it not? Good working conditions etc. Their website is one of the best out there.
The problem, in my humble, is that fashion needs to react quickly to changing trends which M&S can't do. Also,too many soulless stores.

goldenshred Sat 08-Feb-20 11:34:26

Very sad they have totally lost touch.

jo1book Sat 08-Feb-20 11:32:46

Freudian slip, Juliet!
Incidentally, I have gone off their food. Finding the ready-meals a bit rich but that is probably me.

Ginny42 Sat 08-Feb-20 11:29:09

I rarely buy cashmere jumpers from anywhere else and I've had some M&S jumpers for years. I have itchy allergies to other types of wool.

Can't remember when I last bought outerwear from there though, but strangely enough, the other day I was passing through the dress dept and saw a lovely dress I may pop back for. In the latest promotion booklet it's described as 'ditsy'. Not sure that's me but I have a voucher to spend so it may have my name on it.

BlueSky Sat 08-Feb-20 11:15:31

Gillybob smile brew

Pittcity Sat 08-Feb-20 11:11:10

I love those dresses too Gillybob but don't have anywhere to wear one to. I do have a midi length linen shirt dress for Summer and it does look a bit frumpy on my less than model like figure. I compromised by buying a high necked ruched sleeved top to keep up with the fashion. Not in M&S though.

Teetime Sat 08-Feb-20 10:42:09

I went to a large M & S nearby recently and thought I had wandered into Primark. The sweaters were scratchy and cheaply made but not cheaply priced. I agree with everyone who said the colours and designs are awful - give up M & S and stick to food but watch those prices... getting ridiculous.

Daisymae Sat 08-Feb-20 10:38:39

I did like their per Una but that range has gone off the boil. IMHO

Juliet27 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:29:35

when she was a but chubby.
jolbook was that a deliberate error? wink

Tangerine Sat 08-Feb-20 10:27:12

I used to often shop at M & S but not so much these days as I am not so keen on their styles.

Some things are good though. If I just wanted an ordinary jumper for everyday wear, I'd go there and I still buy underwear at M & S.

I like their food and sometimes buy it there.

Grannyshome Sat 08-Feb-20 10:22:54

Style-wise it's just like walking back into the 1970s but it's the acres of polyester and viscose that I hate. Although to be fair, almost every other shop is the same.

gillybob Sat 08-Feb-20 10:20:28

Thank you BlueSky you have just given me the push I needed . smile

WishIwasyounger Sat 08-Feb-20 10:04:18

midgey
Maybe you wore one first time round! I’m sure I did

Yes midgey I did, but I don't like wearing retro clothes, it seems so backward looking.

jo1book Sat 08-Feb-20 10:01:48

This is a nice dress and cheap at £39.

gillybob Sat 08-Feb-20 10:00:26

Thank you BlueSky I am glad you like it . I love the midi length too. smile

BlueSky Sat 08-Feb-20 09:57:17

Lovely dress Gillybob go for it! I too love the midi length, the maxi being too long on me. If you like it have it, you don't have to 'need' it!

gillybob Sat 08-Feb-20 09:49:34

www.marksandspencer.com/leaf-print-relaxed-midi-dress/p/clp60375070?color=KHAKIMIX

I love this dress . I have a £20 gift voucher and am soooo tempted . Not sure where I would go to wear it mind you.

henetha Sat 08-Feb-20 09:45:20

I miss our local store (well, 5 miles away) very much since it closed down about a year ago. Both for clothes, - which I agree have deteriorated, - and the food.

BlueSky Sat 08-Feb-20 09:41:35

I still buy their sleepwear and underwear but yes I agree they are not as good quality as they used to be. Also the food department is the only other section worth bothering. No wonder a lot of branches are closing!

jo1book Sat 08-Feb-20 09:31:35

Back to Laura Ashley is the latest fashion. It will not last as most people do not suit frills, furbelows and nipped in waists. OK is you are small, but not good on the ageing.
I remember the Duchess of "Pork", so labelled by The Sun, for sporting this Victorian look when she was a but chubby.
Best to not go there.

gillybob Sat 08-Feb-20 09:22:01

Oh I quite like the stuff I have seen on line in M&S at the moment although I haven’t seen them in real life .

I could easily have an online spending spree.

I love the midi dresses.

harrigran Sat 08-Feb-20 09:15:47

M&S clothes are really poor and I find the underwear do not suit me either. Years ago they used to be such a good place to buy fashion.