Gransnet forums

Chat

What’s your oldest item of clothing?

(56 Posts)
Daddima Sat 08-Feb-20 17:39:27

I’ve just been looking at old photos, and have seen one of me from fifteen years ago, wearing a jacket I still wear!

sharon103 Sun 09-Feb-20 01:39:24

My wedding dress, the knickers and pair of tights I wore on the day, washed of course.
Goodness knows why I kept them.

Sussexborn Sun 09-Feb-20 01:52:25

I have a skirt I bought in C&A years ago. It’s just straight up and down with an elasticated waist and a slight pattern.

Cowboysnana Sun 09-Feb-20 02:38:29

I have some overalls I wore 18 years ago pregnant with my twins and a jacket that my mom gave me that my dad bought her in the late 80's.

QuaintIrene Sun 09-Feb-20 02:48:54

I love this thread.
Still have some nighties, bought from the market from when I was a teenager. I still have some of my dads vests that are good for an extra layer. Still excellent condition so there’s no point in buying new.
A planet skirt suit I bought with my first proper wage in 1984. The skirt still fits but not the jacket. I should give it away really as I will never wear it.
There will be other things, but I don’t think about clothes much now. How things have changed!

Nansypansy Sun 09-Feb-20 07:14:01

Yesterday I was wearing a handmade big cardi in mohair I knitted when my daughter had just started at secondary school .... she’s now 53! I’ve never really been much of a knitter but if I could find the pattern, I might decide to make it again in some yarn I’ve already got.

Nortsat46 Sun 09-Feb-20 07:28:14

I have a multi coloured wool scarf, which I bought in Amsterdam in 1977. It was our first holiday together and our first visit to Amsterdam. It all seemed impossibly exciting.
I am wearing the scarf in the photos.

It’s still a lovely scarf.

Sparkling Sun 09-Feb-20 07:33:37

I am ruthless throwing things to the charity shops, many times regretting it, so the oldest item I possess is a coat 10 years old which I dislike but bring out when it's bitterly cold, as I cannot drive in the restrictive puffa type coats.

Framilode Sun 09-Feb-20 07:33:47

I have some lovely black suede shoes that I bought from Next when it first opened. In the early days Next was top quality and didn't have a great deal of stock but it was all excellent. I think these shoes date from the mid eighties, still in perfect condition and I still wear them.

Curlywhirly Sun 09-Feb-20 08:35:15

Framilode I agree with your comment about Next - when it first opened the clothes it sold were really good quality (a bit like Hobbs, but more affordable). Sadly, in recent years I think it has gone down hill, lots of big baggy t shirts and jumpers, that go bobbly after a few washes, there's hardly any dressy smart clothes in decent material. Pity.

DanniRae Sun 09-Feb-20 08:39:06

I can't really join in this thread because I get rid of clothes to the charity shop on a regular basis (so I can buy new ones!) blush
But I do have the beautiful shawl that my mum knitted for my baby daughter in 1970. My second daughter and my son wore it to their Christenings and my baby grandson wore it to his last month! smile

kittylester Sun 09-Feb-20 08:47:37

DD1 wears a summer dress made by my MiL in the early 50s. It looks great as DD and DMiL have/had a similar figure!

Callistemon Sun 09-Feb-20 10:16:23

I have a shawl which a friend's mother crocheted for me when they were fashionable, probably in the 1960s

I haven't worn it for years but can't bear to part with it.

Hetty58 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:20:37

I have an Irish linen, embroidered blouse that I can't ever get rid of. It's the perfect thing in a heatwave, still looks new - and must be at least 20 years old!

paddyanne Sun 09-Feb-20 10:52:35

I have the family christening robe used for generations and my OH's family christening shawl crepe with silk fringing .The last baby to use it was my daughters 9 year old ,I dont think my sons new baby will use it as his partner doesn't like "old fashioned" clothes.Shame really its a nice tradition

lemongrove Sun 09-Feb-20 10:54:33

The oldest is a Damart scarf bought for me by my Mother, in about 1971, she was always sending nice Damart bits and bobs through the post for me.One time she sent a nice navy vest type top which I wore with jeans for ages.On seeing a photo of me out and about wearing it, she was aghast.....apparently it was really a vest, as opposed to a vest type top.?
The Damart scarf still gets worn regularly.

Jane10 Sun 09-Feb-20 11:04:43

My exam pants! Literally the pants I wore when 'sitting' my A levels in 1972. Unaccountably, they seem to have shrunk. Must be something about the fabric!

libra10 Sun 09-Feb-20 11:07:54

I have an old sheepskin jacket hanging up in my wardrobe, which has never been worn in years.

It must be at least 30 or more years old, but is much too tight these days. Can't throw it out yet though.

timetogo2016 Sun 09-Feb-20 11:20:55

I can`t believe I`m posting this but my first boyfriend bought me a top back from Tunisia 56 years ago and yes I do still have it.
I just can`t bring myself to get rid.

etheltbags1 Sun 09-Feb-20 11:39:32

I have a vintage velvet coat bought about 20 years ago second hand and my wedding dress from 1986, other than that much of my stuff is about 10 years old, m and s cardigans etc.

Ginny42 Sun 09-Feb-20 11:49:23

I have a silk Liberty scarf which I bought for my mother just before she died 50 years ago. I used it and later my DD begged it from me. She had it framed as it was just beginning to show signs of wear, and had it shipped back to the UK to me. It's on the wall in my bedroom.

I have a beautiful wool coat my DD bought in a charity shop when she was a student c. 1980. I had it re-lined a couple of years ago and it's still very wearable. Nothing really to age it, just wrap around, no buttons or belt.

My DD occasionally wears my 60s dresses which she found in a trunk when I moved house. Mary Quant and Dollyrockers.

Ginny42 Sun 09-Feb-20 11:53:32

Jane10 yes, I have garments which shrink unaccountably too! grin

I really did shrink two cashmere sweaters but as luck has it my DD is a size 10!

Esspee Sun 09-Feb-20 12:05:15

Not the oldest items in my wardrobe but the most random is two pairs of knickers I bought 30 years ago. One black and one (still sparkling) white. They have a strong tummy flattening panel at the front and were bought to be used after I receive my HRT implant for the first couple of days when a bit of pressure is advised.
Each pair has therefore been used twice a year for 30 years.?

craftergran Sun 09-Feb-20 12:50:41

A midi-length faux fur coat I bought in the late 90's, it's still like new.

And I have a sweater which belonged to my mother. She died in 2008 so it's a few years older than that.

Razzy Sun 09-Feb-20 12:51:30

I came across a t-shirt I bought when I lived near New York City aged 18! Still wearable!

JuliaM Sun 09-Feb-20 13:04:50

I still ha ethe Black velvet blazer l bought when l was 17, its a size 12, and no way would it fit me know, but l just annot bear to part with it, so many happy memories of my teenage years.