Gransnet forums

Chat

Special Gifts

(93 Posts)
Teetime Mon 10-Feb-20 08:54:59

As a child at home and at Sunday School I was taught that everyone has a special gift and it would eventually show up in your life. I'm still waiting for mine - has anyone got a special gift they can tell us about. I dont mean family/children but a characteristic or skill of your own.

Maggiemaybe Tue 11-Feb-20 10:09:17

I’m the least sporty person in the world. Couldn’t run or jump to save my life and was one of the smokers hiding in the long jump pit (with “period pains”) during PE.

At a Sports Day try out I discovered to everyone’s amazement that I could hurdle, and way better than anyone else! I was tipped for the top on the day itself, then my class was unfairly disqualified just before the event for allegedly messing about.

I never hurdled again, folks. sad I think perhaps I’ve left it too late now.

Summerfly Tue 11-Feb-20 09:45:57

I’m pretty average at most things but.......I can sing ? and I love most genres of music. I’d love to be able to draw though and as hard as I try I’m no good at sewing.

sodapop Tue 11-Feb-20 07:48:57

grin Framilode

Framilode Tue 11-Feb-20 06:47:54

I can cross my second toe over my big toe.

heavensjoys Tue 11-Feb-20 05:41:38

Like Missfoodlove I am a demon at getting rid of stains! My DILs give me garments to attack!

My eldest Son thinks I make the best Yorkshire Puddings. My Grandchildren think I make the ‘best sponge cakes ever’ and should go on the GBBO, bless them.

However, I am useless at parking and sadly my driving confidence is almost zero now, so I am reluctant to drive anymore.

grant1 Tue 11-Feb-20 02:41:44

I have this same special skill - I'm better at disappearing dark chocolate though.

notanan2 Mon 10-Feb-20 23:57:20

Nope none. I am competant at a range of things. I am good at my job. I make a happy home. But Im not gifted or talented at anything. And thats fine.

I honestly have no special or extraordinary gifts or talents.

Ailsa43 Mon 10-Feb-20 23:29:08

Oh how I wish there was a ''Thumbs up''' for posts on here, there's so many fab talents on this thread, I'd love to show how much I appreciate and enjoy the posts!

GreenGran78 Mon 10-Feb-20 23:07:48

I think it was Robin Cousins who related that a day at the seaside, which turned out rainy, changed his life. They took refuge in a skating rink, he loved it, and became a world champion. If the day had stayed sunny would he ever have found out his amazing talent?
I sometimes wonder if we all have an undiscovered talent, purely because fate hasn’t pointed us in the right direction.
I used to have a talent for judo, and taught it until I had my first child. I sing in a choir, with my average voice, but have a talent for memorising music easily and remembering it for ever. Otherwise I am pretty average at most things.
Maybe I should have a go at skating, but at the age of 80 I may have left it too late!

Missfoodlove Mon 10-Feb-20 22:33:31

Stain removal!! I don’t think I’ve been defeated yet.

mrswoo Mon 10-Feb-20 22:01:11

I can make people laugh - either with me or at me I don’t mind which.

angie95 Mon 10-Feb-20 21:18:15

No special gift, though I can draw X

phoenix Mon 10-Feb-20 20:57:52

The ability to write daft verse blush

JuliaM Mon 10-Feb-20 20:36:32

My Mum always said that Nurses were Born to Nurse, not just trained to be one. She trained to be a nurse in the mid 1940s,Married my Dad who she met whilst he was one of her patients, and had me who grew up around two very medically minded parents. I too was a born Nurse, l did my SEN in 1975, then my Mental health qualification in 1984. My own Daughters were brought up watching me follow a Nursing Career, and 4 out of 5 of my Daughters followed Medical careers, the odd one out who followed Law, has a strong intrest in Medical Negligence law, and has worked alongside a Doctor of Laws who advises the Uk government on research into end of life care and the debate over a patients right to Euthenasia.

ExperiencedNotOld Mon 10-Feb-20 20:08:53

I don’t panic when faced with a difficult task, whether it be in paid work or when volunteering. I’m the only person I know that can knock out a three course meal for 60 ish people to a profit making budget without any help other then for serving. (It’s all in the menu choices by the way!).

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 19:57:59

I do have a lot of perseverance which helps with many things, including work, hobbies etc.

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 19:53:58

Still researching what my special gift could be.
I think I must be work in progress!!

Shizam Mon 10-Feb-20 19:51:06

That’s so funny re the parking. Always said my niche skills are parallel parking, pulling horses’ manes and cleaning tack. It’s an interesting CV. ?

Evie64 Mon 10-Feb-20 19:44:29

OMG! Theoddbird, that's amazing! I paint glass to give as gifts to friends and family. Usually candle holders, wine glasses, that sort of thing. Approaching retirement now, so who knows what new talents I might find I have given the time?

MissAdventure Mon 10-Feb-20 19:16:53

Thank you. I have a ridiculously long tongue, and a very quite big nose. smile

Llamedos13 Mon 10-Feb-20 19:14:44

Miss Adventure,that is a special talent.I wonder how many of you tried it? I did and failed.

NumNum Mon 10-Feb-20 18:47:35

What a fabulous post!! I'm still trying to decide what my Special Gift is and I could be some time!!!!! smile

Fennel Mon 10-Feb-20 16:57:41

Dec46
"Still proud to know I used to make them laugh."
smile I think that's what I do too - without meaning to.

Dec46 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:16:56

One of the teachers I worked with was told she had a very special gift because she had musical talent and I agree she had.
However when I went into the Staff Room and said why haven't I got a special gift/talent I was told that I definitely had one.My Gift turned out to be that I lowered the tone of the Staff Room beautifully!
Still proud to know I used to make them laugh.

Maxblank Mon 10-Feb-20 16:06:13

Being able to recall information is a great gift. I lack that one majorly. My recall skills are very lacking, to the point, I struggle with stuff and forget so many things.