Gransnet forums

Chat

Packaging size Vs content size

(10 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Mon 10-Feb-20 17:40:51

I just happened to be browsing the sweet aisle today ( as you do) and picked up what I would call a family sized bag of Revels .

The contents filled approximately one quarter of the entire bag .

Now I know that lots of unhealthy products are being quietly reduced in size whilst leaving the price the same but surely they cannot believe that we don't notice this? So why is the packaging size not reduced to fit the content?

Just thinking of it in an environmentally aware way , surely it would be better to reduce the amount of packaging?

And whilst I'm on a roll... biscuit makers are quietly reducing the number of biscuits in the pack too !!!

rosenoir Mon 10-Feb-20 17:47:29

I have noticed that I finish a pack of something only to find it was a family bag or something that serves two.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 10-Feb-20 17:48:28

Yes, it does seem silly to make the contents smaller but not the pack! Where is the logic in that?

Just to put in a plug for Traidcraft biscuits (or cookies as they call them, for some reason which escapes me); they are still selling 8 in a packet, they have some fairly traded ingredients, and they are now packed in a clear recyclable (PET No1 plastic) tray instead of the former black recyclable tray and a cardboard packet instead of the former plastic wrap.

Nonogran Mon 10-Feb-20 18:08:45

Recently I decided to buy some chocolate as a wkend treat. There was of course lots on special offer to choose from and as I'm not a fussy chocolate fan I found myself comparing what weight I could get from the £1 selections available. I fancied Cadbury fruit and nut but ended up with Boost bars! Higher in weight and as a treat, good value I thought.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Feb-20 18:15:30

I was just about to start a thread about this ??
I received this today it’s two very small pieces of make up for my granddaughters birthday present next week

BlueBelle Mon 10-Feb-20 18:16:21

Whoops posted too soon

phoenix Mon 10-Feb-20 18:17:54

I ordered a new mop for work. It came packed in a box the size of a single wardrobe!

M0nica Mon 10-Feb-20 19:03:41

DH ordered a new drill (quite a long one) from Screwfix. It came in an almost coffin-sized box.

Nortsat46 Mon 10-Feb-20 19:55:55

Sorry Phoenix that made me laugh ... but I do sympathise ....?

Grandad1943 Mon 10-Feb-20 21:57:51

Products that are ordered for home delivery are nearly always placed in packaging that is well above the size of the product.

The first reason for that would be that small packages are easily lost or get mislaid while in transit. The second reason is that should such online orders have to be returned they can easily be repacked into the same original packaging.