Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(47 Posts)
12Michael Wed 12-Feb-20 06:11:22

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but dry here in Brackley and maybe cold outside.
Unlike some parts of the UK we seem not to have had any snow showers or other but with another storm approaching this weekend we will see.
Myself a quiet day today , will spend time indoors maybe with a small shop and get the paper.
Mick

Summerfly Wed 12-Feb-20 18:22:41

Well after storm Ciara we’ve been left with no running water due to a pipe breaking. Just heard we’re probably going to be without water for another couple of days. Feel so sorry for families with children. What a nightmare.

NanKate Wed 12-Feb-20 14:26:11

Glad your DD is on her way back Mary.

Yes I know exactly what you mean about steroids affecting your DGD’s behaviour. When I was on a high level dose I couldn’t stop crying and then I started saying inappropriate things. Fortunately I calmed down. ?

Jaan12 Wed 12-Feb-20 13:31:23

Bright sunshine and blue sky today in F ife but still very cold. Hope everyone has a good day.

Legs55 Wed 12-Feb-20 11:02:01

Good morning all from sunny Devon, such a change after the weather we've had but I fear it's the "calm before the storm"grin

Getting prepared for an early start tomorrow as I have to be in Exeter early for a Medical Assessment, can't be latehmm, if the weather is ok I will get the Park & Ride into Exeter & visit the Cathedral, I've lived in Devon for 5 years & haven't actually visited the Cathedral, been into Exeter shopping a few times (it's only about 11 miles from where I live)

Day catching up on houseworkblush & hopefully a bit of tidying in the gardensmile

Bellasnana Wed 12-Feb-20 10:59:17

Just popped back to say I lied about the weather in Malta today! Having just taken my dog to the kennels, I can attest to the fact that it is blowing a gale!

NannyJan how lucky to have your friend living so close by! I’ve got to do two planes to get to my pal, with a six hour wait at Gatwick, but it will be worth it I’m sure.?

CaroleAnne Wed 12-Feb-20 10:36:53

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny Warminster.
We too bought our Valentines day meal yesterday. We chose the Waitrose one which looks delicious. Hope that you enjoy your M&S one NanKate.
Will probably go for a walk after DH has received his wine delivery from Naked Wine.
Have a lovely day everyone. Hope that the Gillybobs and all those who are infirm or unwell can enjoy a bit of sunshine in their lives.
Mumofmadboys did you get back from your weekend in scotland OK? I noticed that Cumbria was badly affected.
My best wishes. Carole.

Nortsat46 Wed 12-Feb-20 10:14:53

Good morning Mick and the GM team.

My partner had a small operation this morning and I’ve just been phoned to say all went well.
He will be home later today and I will be very glad.

I am thinking of everyone with partners who are managing serious conditions and am sending all concerned, my good thoughts. ?

Have a good day all ?

EllanVannin Wed 12-Feb-20 10:04:55

Good Morning All x
A cold breezy morning with a blast of hailstones before and a cat furiously meowing to come in--it was hysterical hahaha.

Where have the last 3 hours gone I ask myself ? Firstly a phone-call to the surgery to ask the whereabouts of a script which I emailed last Thurs/Fri. It's normally delivered next day.

Then an umpteenth go on Ebay to see if it would let me sign in. There has been a problem with my account since mid-December. Their fault, not mine, so as a last resort I'm having to phone them to try and make sense of it all.

Struggled in the high winds yesterday just shopping locally, it was awful so I must make sure I don't need anything before the next volley at the weekend. I can't cope with those gales at all, they knock me off my feet.

It's times like these that I'm glad I don't own a property as I know what it's like after storm damage----I couldn't stand the worry now. It's not so bad if there's two of you but it's not nice on your own when things happen.

Thoughts to those with health problems.xx

Greyduster Wed 12-Feb-20 09:56:05

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. I’ve been out of circulation for a couple of days so didn’t get chance to post about the scary weather we had here (not that I saw an awful lot of it) yesterday. The sun is shining in South Yorkshire this morning and it all looks quite benign but I’m told it is the calm before the next storm! I hope all poorly people are taking care.

Mapleleaf Wed 12-Feb-20 09:53:39

Good morning,
It's much brighter this morning and less windy but still very cold.
Popping out later to pick up a prescription and buy some cards, one birthday, one sympathy and one valentines.
When I get back, I'll do a bit of baking ready for this evening when the SiL's call for their chat and cuppa.
Glad you found your earring BlueSapphire - isn't it strange how often we find things where we've already thoroughly searched!
You are clever, Baggs, your 'scrappie' looks really good.
Hope you all keep warm and safe.

harrigran Wed 12-Feb-20 09:51:20

Good morning from a blustery but sunny NE.
Must do some shopping today, it is a week since I was out of the house.
Waiting to hear if an interested person is going to buy our second home, all this faffing is doing my head in.
Thinking of all the poorly people.

Kalu Wed 12-Feb-20 09:37:51

I didn’t know it was due to a technical fault Marydoll. You may well have mentioned it and I missed it? ☺️ Pleased though your DD is on her way home at last. Apart from the hassle of getting home, I hope they enjoyed their time on Arran.

The perfect cushion is so important gilly? Hope your day goes well with all you are having to cope with?

Auntieflo Wed 12-Feb-20 09:29:12

Good morning Michael, Annie and all.
I am taking my proverbial hat off, again, to Gillybob. You are wonder woman in disguise. other gran has plans indeed, and what do they think you are doing? Sorry to be cross on your behalf.
Nothing much happening here today, so a pootling and faffing day, as someone else calls it.
To all who are unwell, take care, and have a good day one and all.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Feb-20 09:04:31

Goodmorning Mick and all x

Cold and bright here in SE Essex, the high "spring" tides and winds have taken their toll on the beach huts, some totally destroyed many damaged.

Off to the gym this morning, cleaners should be here any minute so house will be sparkling.

Take care poorly Goodmorningers x

gillybob Wed 12-Feb-20 08:56:58

Good morning from the North East coast where we have another very windy day.

Had DGD2 for much of yesterday as she has tonsillitis poor lamb.

DH is spending much of his days in bed at the moment as it’s the only way he can get any relief from the pain. How come he can sleep on and off all day but barely sleeps a wink at night ?

Was just getting ready to leave for “that bl**dy awful place” when DS rang to ask if I could have DGD2 again today as the other gran has plans. Not a problem at all but only wish they had said yesterday . Going to nip over and pick up a load of stuff and try and get some work done from home .

Hope your DD makes it home soon Marydoll . Glad you found that special earring BlueSapphire it must’ve been hiding . Enjoy your shopping trip Kalu I have a bit of a “thing” for cushions myself .

Hope those with plans have a good day and those feeling poorly or under the weather feel a little better soon .

Where is that sunshine ?

Have a good Wednesday everyone .

Love Gillybob x

Anniebach Wed 12-Feb-20 08:56:31

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Marydoll Wed 12-Feb-20 08:47:32

Kalu there was a technical fault with the ferry , so it wasn't running.

They queued from 6am this morning and are now on their way to Ardrossan!
They had to allow the pre booked cars on first, but they managed to be first in the standby queue.
Their booking for the cancelled ferry on Monday wasn't valid. The first available booking was tomorrow afternoon, as so many were stranded.
Just so glad they are on the way home.
Allelulia!!!
We have black ice here and it's so cold!

Susan56 Wed 12-Feb-20 08:41:42

Good morning from the Shropshire borders.Bright sunshine but still quite breezy.
Thank you for all the good wishes.
Nothing much planned today.DH is busy with DIY on our bedrooms makeover hoping to get everything ready so he can decorate once the new windows are in.
DD1 and baby hopefully coming over for lunch.
NanKate,good idea,will pop to M and S to buy the Valentines meal.
Sending get well wishes to Mary,dragonfly and to Lins,Pantglas and gilly’s DH’s.

Kalu Wed 12-Feb-20 08:28:35

Good morning from Glasgow. Very chilly and breezy this morning with a mixed sky of blue, yellow and grey. Very pretty to look at *through the window*?

I am planning a rummage through TKMaxx today on the hunt for cushions and a quick shop in Sainsbury’s. That done, popping in to see DD1 and GDs for coffee, I will supply cakes ? ?

I do like your ‘scrappies’ Baggs. Hope you are on the mend.

I thought surely the ferries would be running Marydoll as the high winds have stopped and sailing possible again. So frustrating for your DD. Hope she is home soon?

Wishing everyone a good day and a better one for those who are not feeling so good

Mythbirtthedragon Wed 12-Feb-20 08:27:57

Good morning from east London, bright and cool but we seem to have escaped the frost. Hope to play tennis this morning but will need to assess the courts once we get there. Trip to the tip after; we popped in to see DSD and her mum yesterday and came home with a car full of unwanted blinds to take to the tip for her and empty packing boxes for the Southend house. Taking GD1 to gymnastics today for a ‘treat’ then DD has offered to feed us, another treat. Have a good day.

BlueSapphire Wed 12-Feb-20 08:27:21

Good morning everyone from a very bright and sunny Northampton. Still looks windy.

Fenceman came yesterday and repaired the garden fence, felt so sorry for them working outside in this bitter weather. I was lucky he came to me as I heard him on the phone turning someone else down as he had so much work he was run off his feet. They did a really good job. No neighbour to share the cost with, as it backs onto waste ground and is solely mine. Winced slightly as I wrote the cheque!

Nothing planned for today; I am giving the health walk a miss in this cold wind. Will probably change and wash the bedding and Hoover round upstairs. Made a good start on the study yesterday, sorted and tidied the bookshelves, and cleared out the drawer that everything gets chucked into.

Decided to give several pairs of my ear-rings a clean, and while taking them out of the jewellery box found the diamond stud I had been looking for since before Christmas. I had been through that box several times looking for it, and would have sworn it wasn't in there! Now reunited with its twin and in a safe place.

Been sitting reading all the above posts and writing this after taking my weekly tablet and have to wait half an hour before I can have anything else, so I think it's now time to put the kettle on. Hoping it's a good day for all.

conor Wed 12-Feb-20 08:09:51

Good morning from a bright chilly Essex. Off for Nanny Wednesday shortly. Collect DGS1 for school run and then woodland walk with DGS2. We seem to be lucky with the weather for our Wednesday walks and have only been rained off a couple of times. Hope everyone has the best day they can before the next storm arrives! xxx

Urmstongran Wed 12-Feb-20 08:08:04

vena11?

Nannytopsy Wed 12-Feb-20 07:59:43

Morning all! The tree surgeon has arrived but his men are held up by a fallen tree! ??
Once they are done I can really make a start on my new garden.
I hope today is kind to you all.

Lins1066 Wed 12-Feb-20 07:59:01

Good Morning Mick and all. The weather is cold, clear and dry here on our part of the Welsh coast. Yesterday the wind was so cold, luckily no damage to report though.
Not feeling great this morning so won't be doing much. DH says he's ok but he has little energy.
Thinking of those with illness and worry at the moment, especially dragonfly,Susan,Baggs and the Gillybobs