Gransnet forums

Chat

Robbie Williams and surrogacy

(412 Posts)
Greymar Fri 14-Feb-20 19:57:25

Money talks. Or hopefully not.

Summerlove Wed 19-Feb-20 17:14:45

I can only think of the two women mentioned In this thread who have used surrogates.
One has had fertility issues, the other had a far higher than average risk should she have gotten pregnant again. So not passing “normal”risk on to another just because of her figure as was previously suggested

Summerlove Wed 19-Feb-20 17:12:00

Are only celebrities wealthy?

notanan2 Wed 19-Feb-20 17:09:09

Can you name as many surrogate celebs as those you can name who buy them?

Anniebach Wed 19-Feb-20 16:11:36

No and we don’t know the wealth of any woman who chooses
to be a surrogate

Summerlove Wed 19-Feb-20 16:03:43

Do we know for certain that there are no rich women being surrogates?

notanan2 Wed 19-Feb-20 13:46:52

Some choice!
Peoples financial vulnerabilities are exploited. Outside of familial surrogacy it is always a financial imbalance of power.
Where are all the rich women being surrogates if its not only ever a rock&hard place "choice"?

Anniebach Wed 19-Feb-20 12:56:47

It is free choice, no one is forced to be a surrogate.

pollyperkins Wed 19-Feb-20 12:54:38

Maybe some are , to help friends or family. I don’t see why not

notanan2 Tue 18-Feb-20 23:33:44

Surely it’s up to the surrogate mum. No-one is forcing them to do this. It is their own choice

I ask again, if it's such a free choice, why dont rich women chose to be surrogates?

pollyperkins Tue 18-Feb-20 18:29:00

I think surrogacy within families carries its own problems.

pollyperkins Tue 18-Feb-20 18:28:35

I wouldn’t call this couple wealthy - maybe middle class and comfortable. But they made financial sacrifices to be able to afford it.

pollyperkins Tue 18-Feb-20 18:26:31

Babies were biologically theirs and implanted I think

pollyperkins Tue 18-Feb-20 18:25:28

Surely it’s up to the surrogate mum. No-one is forcing them to do this. It is their own choice. (Maybe not in US where they may do it for money.)
However I know someone (heterosexual couple ) who were unable to have children (lots of miscarriages etc) and in desperation went to US for a surrogate baby. They got to interview the prospective mums and both sides had to accept the contract. They have had two children this way, now both in their early teens and are very happy. Why should they be denied this?

notanan2 Tue 18-Feb-20 18:20:25

Mainly from the surrogate mothers point of view.

In familial surrogacy the alturism claims ring a little truer than in commercial surrogacy. Commercial surrogacy = more exploitative from the womens point of view

notanan2 Tue 18-Feb-20 18:18:15

notanan2 can you explain then how familial surrogacy doesn't affect the child's brain as you have posted in other cases

I did not say that it didnt. It can also throw up a whole host of other issues.
I simply mused that it is a different dynamic to commercial surrogacy

Anniebach Tue 18-Feb-20 17:37:45

It is so wrong to judge many by Daly and Williams words and
wealth

Greymar Tue 18-Feb-20 17:35:14

I'm guessing and hoping in the family set up, there is more skin to skin contact and less of a wrench for Mum and baby? Maybe?

trisher Tue 18-Feb-20 17:33:03

notanan2 can you explain then how familial surrogacy doesn't affect the child's brain as you have posted in other cases? Or does the child somehow know when there is money involved?

Sparkling Tue 18-Feb-20 16:39:00

Jayne Judge. . Where do you get your information from. I assume you are talking about RW, I can't see any girls queuing it would be an impossibility to think he could do that.
I think this thread has been derailed, I feel sorry for any adoptive parents reading these comments, they are in my opinion, some of the best moms, as their child is a wanted one. it is no guarantee that a naturally conceived child will not have issues about something or other. As moms we all do our best. Adoptive or not.

notanan2 Tue 18-Feb-20 16:28:51

Family/friend surrogacy seems to be much more open these days too. The children knowing X is my special aunty/tummy mummy

In commercial surrogacy the mother is often not acknowledged at all. I refer again to the Dalys whose child apparently only has 2 fathers and the surrogate must not be referred to as any sort of mother, if at all!

Iam64 Tue 18-Feb-20 16:25:30

Well said trisher. I also agree with Greymar that we aren’t helping this discussion by lumping adoption and surrogacy together

notanan2 Tue 18-Feb-20 16:24:28

Celebs dont tend ask their own friends/family to carry the risks for them tho

notanan2 Tue 18-Feb-20 16:22:59

Familial surrogacy is a much different dynamic to commercial surrogacy and the separation is less of a guiletine effect.

Familial surrogacy is as old as time, comes up frequently in geniology.

suziewoozie Tue 18-Feb-20 15:30:08

There are cases of surrogacy between friends/family members

Galaxy Tue 18-Feb-20 14:58:15

In all actions with regard to children the welfare of the child is paramount. We dont deliberately do things that would cause harm. Trauma is unavoidable for many, but to deliberately set out to cause it makes me very uncomfortable.