Gransnet forums

Chat

(Storm) Dennis the Menace

(52 Posts)
MawB Sat 15-Feb-20 15:23:16

That’s it!
A quick foray to Waitrose and I have returned with the DVD of the Downton Abbey film.
Please do not disturb for the rest of the afternoon/day grin

PS How are you seeing out the storm?

BBbevan Mon 17-Feb-20 19:27:14

Hope you are warm and dry Anniebach Wehave all had a bit of a battering in Wales.

BBbevan Mon 17-Feb-20 18:14:00

Beautiful day today, though cold and breezy. Garden is saturated and lots of daffodils have been battered down .

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 16:46:57

One sharp shower today but there has been quite a lot of sunshine. It's still windy but there are many flood warnings still and further north of here - which means the water will still keep coming down the overflowing rivers.

M0nica Mon 17-Feb-20 16:44:24

Just had a phone call from the EA to say our flood warning has been withdrawn, big sigh of relief, but the rain clouds are already building up again.....

Anniebach Mon 17-Feb-20 13:53:49

Forgot, my dogs and I slept through the fire engine clearing the drains outside my bungalow, and flashing lights of police
cars !

Anniebach Mon 17-Feb-20 13:50:30

Thank you x

The warden just called, 12 bungalows flooded, carpets and flooring ruined.
I don’t know the people but I do know one has M.S. one lady
is carer for her husband who has dementia, all are elderly or
elderly and disabled and I can’t help .

A landslide on the by pass so HGV have to drive through town, such narrow streets.

Heleicopters had to get people out of a village 8 miles from
town.

Fennel Mon 17-Feb-20 11:39:14

Glad you're ok Annie, and good that you have a good neighbour. I was thinking about you in S. Waleswhere it's so bad.
We've been lucky up to now - we're quite high up on the S. bank of the Tyne so we get high winds, but the rain drains downhill

M0nica Mon 17-Feb-20 11:16:53

I hope you are OK *Anniebach. As I posted yesterday we have a flood warning from the EA warning of the imminent possibility of houses flooding in our village and yesterday we saw at least one house that seemed in danger.

I have been out to inspect the roads around us. Most have clearly been flooded, but the floods have now drained away and thankfully none of the water reached any houses. The only remaining flooding is close to us and the lowest point in the village and the EA are everywhere in the village clearing rubbish away from grills and sluices so that the streams will carry the water away.

MawB Mon 17-Feb-20 04:02:31

I can usually sleep through anything but something is blowing up and down the path beside the house and it is irritating me!
Possibly only some plastic flower pots (hope it’s not the shed) but although I am awake, there is no way I am gong downstairs and outside to see what it is!
Earplugs perhaps?

Fiachna50 Sun 16-Feb-20 23:46:37

Anniebach, hope you are ok, nice that somebody checked on you. BlueSapph, Im at this very minute reading Alias Grace for the 2nd time. It is a book I love. Have been reading it off and on today. The weather was windy this morning. I went out for a paper and a coffee. Right now and it's late, the wind is really severe, no rain. I'm hoping it has all blown through by tomorrow.

blondenana Sun 16-Feb-20 23:32:44

Very lucky here i think, a heavy-ish shower this morning, fine and dry but not windy this afternoon with a bit of pale sun.
Nothing as bad as i expected
Yesterday wasn't bad either, went shopping and to my favourite fish and chip restaurant with my daughter, for a belated birthday lunch
So sorry for the people who are suffering though

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Feb-20 22:59:49

It’s lovely that someone thought to check that you’re ok Annie. It must have been quite scary.

It stopped raining here mid afternoon but the wind has got up again and keeps rattling the letter box and our bedroom is on the noisy side of the house. I’ve just had a hot chocolate with a touch of rum so I hope to sleep through it. Hopefully everyone will have a safe night.

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 22:42:20

Oh goodness! Stay safe, Anniebach
Have they given you sandbags?

I just worry that they don't clear the drains regularly. The river used to be dredged by shipping companies going up to the docks. Now the docks are no longer in use and no ships go up, the river has silted up so has less capacity for the water to flow down to the sea.

Anniebach Sun 16-Feb-20 22:35:44

I had a telephone call this morning from a lady who lives at the top end on the small Cul de Sac where i live, she asked if i
was ok and said she had to leave her bungalow in the night, water had got in.

I phone a neighbour this afternoon to ask if the lady was alright. 1.30 this morning a fire engine was here emptying drains, the flood water got into 11 bungalows, it missed the row
of seven where I live, the bungalows are council sheltered housing for the elderly and disabled.

merlotgran Sun 16-Feb-20 22:29:24

The blighter's come back!

I was looking forward to a good night's sleep. angry

M0nica Sun 16-Feb-20 22:27:19

This morning we had an automatic phone call from the Environment Agency warning us to be ready to evacuate as the stream running through our village was now so high that properties were in danger of flooding.

Thankfully this doesn't affect us, our village is a succession of little humps of slightly higher (a metre or so) land surrounded by lower land that floods. All the older properties, like ours, are on the higher ground, plus Brunel ran the Great Western Railway slap through the centre of the village and the slightly raised embankment of the railway stands between us and the local stream. For some of those in newer homes on flood plain, it must have been a worrying day.

I do not think any houses flooded and the stream level has fallen slightly, but we had more rain this evening.

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 23:07:41

It's getting worse, I can hear it blowing down the chimney.

moon

BlueSapphire Sat 15-Feb-20 22:14:37

I have been in all day, while it has raged and stormed outside. Finished my book club book (Alias Grace) and then watched a Doris Day light rom-com on tv this afternoon (Move Over Darling), and am not even contemplating going to the rugby tomorrow afternoon. Have two more recorded films to watch on tv then DD and her DH can come over and install my new set top box in a couple of weeks.

DoraMarr Sat 15-Feb-20 20:38:24

I brought the chairs and little table off the balcony, and then the wind dropped. It seems a lot calmer now- no rain. ( I’m in Birmingham.) I’ve put the chairs in the guest bathroom and I’ll give them a good scrub tomorrow, so every cloud.....
My mother and sister in Suffolk are prepared with flasks of hot water, hot bottles in beds, and candles, because they often have power cuts. There are emergency lights here in my apartment building, both inside and out, but we don’t often get cuts. I’ve got two good books on the go, and something to prepare for Tuesday’s Italian group, so I’m going to watch a film by Gianni Di Gregorio.
Take care, everyone!

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 20:33:08

It's better to have three times your order Cabbie but a pity there was nothing you liked.

I wonder if there's someone near you who has received a third of what they ordered.

Pity the poor delivery driver in this weather!

Roses Sat 15-Feb-20 20:26:05

Water been cut off for quite some time, makes you realise how we take it for granted

Fennel Sat 15-Feb-20 20:19:00

I had planned today so that I didn't have to go out. But nothing dramatic up to now. Maybe worse to come?
I don't mind the rain, it's the gusty winds I don't like, as with last week's storm.
S. Tyneside

farview Sat 15-Feb-20 19:00:20

Very blustery here too and absolutely torrential rain..Horwich way.....wind slightly different direction than last weekend and seems to be doing more damage..can see the felting from the shed roof on the patio..glad we had a new house roof on recently!.....stay safe everyone...and dry!!!

Alygran Sat 15-Feb-20 18:59:13

The storm has really stepped up here. Sky TV signal has been lost. Rain battering on the windows. At least it held off for my trip to York today.

MiniMoon Sat 15-Feb-20 18:58:23

Where is it? It's been raining here for most of the day, and was rather blustery earlier, but it all seems to have quietened down now.
I'm just waiting for the final of The Masked Singer, and I have a pudding ready to go into the oven in readiness for DH arriving home from work at 8pm.