Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do men spit in public?

(90 Posts)
Willow10 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:38:54

I know there are a few males on GN so maybe they could answer, because it baffles me. Men spit everywhere - in the street, on the playing field etc. But I can't say I have ever witnessed women spitting. A man just walked past my window and spat on the pavement, which turned my stomach. Is there a good reason for it? hmm

KarenDerna Thu 27-Feb-20 15:58:35

Spitting is disgusting and unnecessary IMO
I now live in Spain and it is very prevalent here, makes me feel sick, especially as it seems to follow a disgusting loud sniff or cough

olliebeak Sun 23-Feb-20 08:41:16

I'm afraid that this is a disgusting, filthy habit that I've seen lots of times where I live! Even boys from around the age of about 12/13.

It absolutely turns my stomach angry.

Magrithea Sat 22-Feb-20 15:19:57

In Hong Kong spitting was an offence which could get you a fine, not that it stopped anyone! It can spread TB at worst

NumNum Mon 17-Feb-20 21:26:38

With you 100% suziewoozie - posted on 'Site Stuff.

A real sleazebag post from Maxblanc - YUK!!!!

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 21:12:55

Or right even

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 21:12:43

Tight I’ve posted - please back me up

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 21:06:29

I’m going over there now - join me?

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 21:05:37

Going on site stuff might work. I hated his use of slang for genitalia ( creepy sleazey) but his comments on children were beyond the pale

Esspee Mon 17-Feb-20 21:00:22

I also reported that disgusting post, yet after 10 hours Mumsnet HQ has not removed it.
What is going on? Are reports not getting through?
Perhaps we should all report again.

CanadianGran Mon 17-Feb-20 19:21:50

In our town there is a lot of spitting, it seems to be cultural for both sexes. I once witnessed a young girl (teenager) spitting three times while she crossed the street in front of me.
Horrible habit. I don't understand the need.

annep1 Mon 17-Feb-20 19:16:46

I think Max's comments are in very poor taste. I've reported.

grandmac Mon 17-Feb-20 19:06:08

Here in parts of London it is very common from men of a certain ethnic minority. I don't care if it is their culture it is disgusting, unhygenic and could be the cause of the rise of TB in the capital. I have remonstrated a couple of times but just get verbal abuse back. I even saw one man hawking and spitting on the bus! angry

RosesAreRed21 Mon 17-Feb-20 18:50:12

It makes me feel sick when I see this being done

Nan0 Mon 17-Feb-20 17:30:54

Completely agree!

Aepgirl Mon 17-Feb-20 16:42:57

Men who spit are just rude, and don’t know any better. I hate it.

CBBL Mon 17-Feb-20 16:23:12

I totally agree that it's a horrid habit! Sadly, I do think that seeing footballers/rugby players spitting when on the field encourages this behaviour. I agree with EllanVannin that in public, people could simply carry tissues and use those in the event of needing to get rid of phlem.
Sadly, on the continent, I have seen both men and women spitting in the street (in Greece &Bulgaria for instance), and often this was older people.

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 16:05:46

The whole post is utterly disgusting - the sort of post that makes my flesh crawl. Nice advert for GN and what HQ considers appropriate. No doubt I’ll have a post deleted soon for personal attack on a poster ?

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 15:59:03

Thank you Willow. Any body else?

Willow10 Mon 17-Feb-20 15:56:52

Have done suziewoozie. Creepy.

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 15:56:43

Funny because if you try to discuss what constitutes a racist post, it’s deleted immediately as it might encourage random racists who read the posts. But posts like this wouldn’t encourage random paedophiles ? Yuk

suziewoozie Mon 17-Feb-20 15:54:59

Willow I reported it but HQ seem to think posts about children and their genitalia quite acceptable as it’s still there. Would you like to report ot as well - it’s creepy and if I were in the park with my dgc I wouldn’t want him in the same county as me.

Willow10 Mon 17-Feb-20 15:51:31

Just read your post Maxblank. I don't know where your mind is - (or maybe I do)! The question was about spitting, nothing else! angry

Alexa Mon 17-Feb-20 15:49:42

Spitting on exposed ground is less likely to spread diseases than spitting into a tissue or hankie and then putting said t or h into pocket or under sleeve. This is because when the spittle is exposed to sunlight the sunlight kills many germs. TB germs are killed by sunlight. The problem is of course that most people don't live on farms or large gardens where the spittle has a chance to be so exposed before it is trodden on or worse.

Dec46 Mon 17-Feb-20 15:49:34

I think I must be living on another planet or walking round with my eyes closed,stepping into all kinds of yuk,because as I said earlier I can't ever remember seeing this happen.

Dillonsgranma Mon 17-Feb-20 15:43:33

Horrible dirty habit ?. And it spreads disease . Should be huge fine for spitting