Gransnet forums

Chat

Happy mum Happy baby

(128 Posts)
Newatthis Sun 16-Feb-20 18:55:21

We all know that if a child's childhood is spent in idyllic circumstances with a happy mum then it is more than likely to turn out OK - or is it? It's all well and good Kate regaling how she was inspired by her granny whom it would seem baked, did arts and crafts etc etc etc and that she felt anxious as a new mum bringing George back from the hospital - really Kate? Did you have to immediately get on with washing, ironing, cleaning, cooking, night-time feeds etc etc. whilst in a state of constant exhaustion with no help from anyone. What about all the mums (and dads) living on very low income, perhaps in an abusive relationships, living in a high rise block of flats when the lift doesn't work etc etc etc. She has no idea what it's like to stay happy under the adverse conditions that sometimes motherhood brings. I wish she would stop trying to 'pretend' to understand - she's never had to go without anything, neither before she was married or since and with an army of help, she never will.

M0nica Mon 17-Feb-20 20:41:22

Middle-class people consume more alcohol and illegal drugs than those living below the poverty line, according to a report by a cross-party group of academics and campaigners.

Well of course they do, they have more money to spend on these items or anything else they choose to spend money on; food, clothes, housing, cars, books, foreign holidays etc etc etc..

Anniebach Mon 17-Feb-20 16:22:44

GrannyLaineyes she was dignified and didn’t make it all about her.

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 16:16:39

they get paid millions a year

To run the whole business of the Head of State and initiatives associated with that.

They don't receive a salaryas such but no doubt a President would want a very substantial one as well as all the associated expenses of the business of Head of State.

I really can't see that it would be any cheaper.

GrannyLaine Mon 17-Feb-20 16:10:44

And Anniebach I thought she was dignified and didn't make it all about her but moved on quickly.

Grany Mon 17-Feb-20 16:10:11

I cannot see the point of a Royal Family I don't have any time for them only that we need a republic

They get paid millions every year as well as being extremely wealthy.

What do they do for the money nothing I cannot see any benefit. They are the biggest scroungers of all.

Although there are those still taken in by the hype that they read of having a RF But there must be many now that can see it is a awful waste of money to spend on one family.

Oopsminty Mon 17-Feb-20 16:08:46

Middle-class people consume more alcohol and illegal drugs than those living below the poverty line, according to a report by a cross-party group of academics and campaigners.

From The Guardian

Anniebach Mon 17-Feb-20 16:06:26

There have been cut backs on parks here, parents arrange a regular clean up .

Drugs are not only a problem in inner cities, they are in small
market towns too.

The Princes Trust does much good, Charles doesn’t run it
single handed .

Kate answered a question about pregnancy sickness, she was
honest , could easily have refused to answer.

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 16:04:06

I thought it was a Welsh giant

GrannyLaine Mon 17-Feb-20 16:03:10

MawB I love your very intelligent sounding word.
“Brobdingnagian”. gringrin
I think it is an actual thing but I can't even pronounce it.....

GrannyLaine Mon 17-Feb-20 16:00:26

trisher no one is pretending there isn't a problem, recognising the problems and identifying the best way forward is the whole point of the initiative. It won't be a knee-jerk reaction so of course it will take time. Just as a reminder, this thread is about the Duchess of Cambridge's involvement with the Happy Mum, Happy Baby project. How on earth does that translate to 'adoring Kate'? Petulant and silly.

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 15:55:59

But I meant it wasn't just funding for parks - it's a much wider issue, one area impacts on another, like dominoes.
I was agreeing with that part.

Anyone highlighting how difficult it can be to be a mother, who starts initiatives and charities aimed at helping people is to be praised. Kate could just sit in an ivory tower with her three lovely children and ignore social issues, but she doesn't; she is trying her best and if that means having staff to back her up, that means she has more time to devote to those causes. Many of the staff will be running the charities on a day-to-day basis - she is the figurehead. Think what you like about privilege and wealth - there are many young people in this country with inherited wealth and they are just totally self-indulgent and spoiled, never giving a thought to anyone else, just their fake tans and false nails and their next holiday.

Just because I can see that point of view doesn't mean that I adore Kate.
No-one's going to get everything right all of the time but she is giving it all her best shot and under intense scrutiny all the time.

trisher Mon 17-Feb-20 15:42:14

I think you haven't an argument at all when you start to focus on 1 word of a 100+ words post.
It is to do with funding. No staff to supervise, clear up or maintain. The massive cuts to council funding have impacted really badly on parks and green spaces.

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 15:37:36

adore Kate

I think you start lose the argument when extreme language is used unfortunately.

I agree that parks need more funding as they have tended to be taken over by foul-mouthed teenagers and those up to no good. However, that may not be the whole answer to reclaiming our parks.

trisher Mon 17-Feb-20 15:32:34

M0nica did you bother to read about the huge cuts to funding for parks? I wouldn't call any of those 3 places seriously deprived although there may be small pockets of deprivation. Walk through an estate in Liverpool, Newcastle or Glasgow and things might be different. It really doesn't matter where children live there are small towns and villages in County Durham with huge social problems that impact on children. You may contunue to adore Kate as you wish and post about your wide personal experience, but trying to pretend there isn't a problem is just ridiculous. Schools and nurseries are well aware of what is happening and are trying to alleviate the problem through running Forest Schools, but it's expensive and time consuming for already overworked staff.

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 15:32:26

A nearby village to us is extremely nice, trisher, however it was discovered that the icecream man was the one dealing the drugs.

MerylStreep Mon 17-Feb-20 15:24:54

My daughter lives in a ' very nice road'. She has one Grammer school in her road ( Southend high school for boys) and is in walking distance of 2 others ( Westcliff high school for boys/ girls) They are surrounded by drug users/ dealers.
I think your a little out of touch trisher if you think drug taking / dealing is limited to council estates.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 17-Feb-20 15:14:31

Newatthis
Spot on but ulike the majority who have no choice but to get on with it the duchess will have on tap ready to serve 24/7 domestics/nannies /medical assistance and you may be sure when planting flowers, security surveillance.
Apart from these luxuries, call it what you will, the duchess is no different from the rest and will suffer and experience what any expectant mother can. and frequently does .Life is easier however if you don't have to worry when the next bill arrives and how you are going to pay it.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 17-Feb-20 14:40:28

Mokryna
I trust your circumstances have improved and now able to put the past behind you.

M0nica Mon 17-Feb-20 14:38:22

What proprotion of children live on inner city estates in huge cities? Most of them live on smaller estates in towns and cities other than London, Manchester and one or two others. My DGC's primary school in York draws it pupils almost equally from a seriously deprived city council estate and an area of privately owned interwar semis. I have walked through the council estate several times, you do see children playing out and doing all the things I listed above. The same applies to Reading and Oxford, 2 other towns I know.

Inner city estates have very specific problems. no-one would deny that, but they are only account for a proportion of children living in deprivation and many of those do, for example, have access to parks and playgrounds that they can safely access. They can run errands, buy ice creams, and, on occasion, see a bluebelle.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 17-Feb-20 14:32:11

Mokryna
May I suggest you RE read and re read again my one and only post to yourself where it clearly illustrates I was in agreement with your comments concerning the Duchess of Cambridge.

Summerlove Mon 17-Feb-20 14:30:41

sarahellenwhitney, Perhaps because the world has changed and people are speaking openly about certain issues that would have been taboo before?

People need to know that it’s OK to not be OK.

mokryna Mon 17-Feb-20 13:43:19

I am angry for you to even think I had it easy sarahellenwhitney I was a single mother with a foreclosure, fish fingers for Christmas, low wage, back to parents, refused jobs because I was single and a woman etc..

MawB Mon 17-Feb-20 13:35:23

Apart from the massive typo shock ?

trisher Mon 17-Feb-20 13:35:05

There was an excellent early years programme called Sure Start which had the bases and the expertise to do things all they needed was the funding. But far beter spend the cash on 'experts' writing reports.

Anniebach Mon 17-Feb-20 13:34:52

Great post Maw